Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

No Amtrak travel in 3 years, lose all your miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Amtrak travel in 3 years, lose all your miles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2011, 7:41 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Originally Posted by PHLviaUS
It would be nice if:

1. The AGR website has some reasonably easy way to allow a member to determine when their points will expire. A line entry that states "Your points expire MM/DD/YYYY" would be a novel idea.

2. AGR would e-mail members 60 days or so before points expire just as a "heads up".

Right now, points expiration is like an attack by a stealth bomber. By the time you get the hang of what's happening, it's too late.
So true! Amtrak did #2 for me, sending me an email urging me to take a train--last chance to save my points. I did so just around the deadline, AGR was slow in posting my points, made them expire, & I had to fight to get 'em back.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 7:51 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by RogerD408
So as I understand it:

1) You didn't keep up with the T&C's on how accounts are managed, and haven't been on a train for over three years.

2) AGR kept your account active past the cutoff.

3) AGR offered to reinstate your points if you would get on a train within 30 days.

How is that capricious (not that I even know the definition of the term)? AGR does enough wrong as it is (e.g. posting my return trip before I left on my outbound), but this sounds like they really tried to keep you onboard. The fact it doesn't fit your schedule is the only issue, which you control not AGR.

As for your upcoming travel plans, if Amtrak is still cheaper than air and you have the time, why would you not choose the train? Spite? Again, under your control and not AGR.
Spite suits me fine. Advance notice of pending account action is the real question. I think that, as well as notification of T+C changes are both necessary and proper. If every airline, guest and other loyalty programme can provide ample notice of a change in T+C or point expiration, then why not Amtrak? They did me no favour in keeping my account open. It was there for me to use or not use. I finally decided to use it again, and they plundered it. I don't know how you could sit and argue in favour of this policy.

Last edited by uxb; Oct 6, 2011 at 7:58 am
Old Oct 6, 2011, 9:05 am

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
Originally Posted by uxb
Spite suits me fine. Advance notice of pending account action is the real question. I think that, as well as notification of T+C changes are both necessary and proper. If every airline, guest and other loyalty programme can provide ample notice of a change in T+C or point expiration, then why not Amtrak? They did me no favour in keeping my account open. It was there for me to use or not use. I finally decided to use it again, and they plundered it. I don't know how you could sit and argue in favour of this policy.
Man up! they never have notified and you should of been aware of the terms of the program.
Try the following phrase. I messed up and my points expired. It was my responsibility to understand the T&C's of the AGR program.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 9:18 am
uxb

Originally Posted by darben
Man up! they never have notified and you should of been aware of the terms of the program.
Try the following phrase. I messed up and my points expired. It was my responsibility to understand the T&C's of the AGR program.
You are wrong and ridiculous. I didn't mess up, and I didn't let my points expire. AGR went into my account in the middle of a year, and stole my points under the guise of "points expiration."
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:54 am

It takes three years from the last ride on AMTRAK metal before your points expire. That's over 1000 days! Asking you to take one trip on a train every 1000 days doesn't seem too difficult, it's less than a 0.1% commitment of your time to keep the account active. It's a day trip to a nearby city, an overnight at worst (so you can keep your hotel accounts alive too!)

If I'm to understand uxb correctly, if he took a ride in January of 2008, he should have until December of 2011 to maintain his points, but that's significantly more than three years... 2008, 2009, 2010 and all of 2011. Know your anniversary dates, look at your transaction history (to see your most recent trips) and be happy that AGR exists and is so liberal with their requirements when other rewards programs can require participation every two years, 18 months or, at one local restaurant, five visits in a 90 day rolling period!

0.1%

My AGR account is mostly for the long distance trips I take on Auto Train and out west. It's been slow to accumulate points, but meeting the 'once every three years' requirement isn't that much of a mind bender because I can rely on a trip at least once every other year or so. Eventually one of those trips will be free and maintaining the account for over a decade will have paid off.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 12:17 pm

I don't understand the hostility here. Sure, it's the member's fault for not riding Amtrak for 3 years, but displaying an expiration date is a customer service issue that many other programs have recognized. There's no reason why Amtrak shouldn't display it.

Consider this: I transferred miles to AGR during my third year. If I hadn't burned them on train tickets they would have expired within a few months despite the transfer date. That kind of policy is counter-intuitive and non-standard.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 12:34 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by byronczimmer
It takes three years from the last ride on AMTRAK metal before your points expire. That's over 1000 days! Asking you to take one trip on a train every 1000 days doesn't seem too difficult, it's less than a 0.1% commitment of your time to keep the account active. It's a day trip to a nearby city, an overnight at worst (so you can keep your hotel accounts alive too!)

If I'm to understand uxb correctly, if he took a ride in January of 2008, he should have until December of 2011 to maintain his points, but that's significantly more than three years... 2008, 2009, 2010 and all of 2011. Know your anniversary dates, look at your transaction history (to see your most recent trips) and be happy that AGR exists and is so liberal with their requirements when other rewards programs can require participation every two years, 18 months or, at one local restaurant, five visits in a 90 day rolling period!

0.1%

My AGR account is mostly for the long distance trips I take on Auto Train and out west. It's been slow to accumulate points, but meeting the 'once every three years' requirement isn't that much of a mind bender because I can rely on a trip at least once every other year or so. Eventually one of those trips will be free and maintaining the account for over a decade will have paid off.
I would love to know my "anniversary date," but it isn't like Amtrak has been forthcoming with those details. Further, any system that plunders points in the same exact year that it was earned isn't exactly "liberal."

Originally Posted by rrgg
I don't understand the hostility here. Sure, it's the member's fault for not riding Amtrak for 3 years, but displaying an expiration date is a customer service issue that many other programs have recognized. There's no reason why Amtrak shouldn't display it.

Consider this: I transferred miles to AGR during my third year. If I hadn't burned them on train tickets they would have expired within a few months despite the transfer date. That kind of policy is counter-intuitive and non-standard.
+1, but it really wasn't my fault that Amtrak couldn't be bothered to communicate any sort of expiry date. They claimed my last trip was in 2005. I maintain I had one later, but who cares. Under the T+C, where my points were subject to seizure, shouldn't I have lost points immediately after earning them? Amtrak allowed me to earn points through partner transactions for months without saying anything before ripping the rug out from under me. It is total crap.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 1:52 pm

To find your last transactions:

Go to 'My Account' tab
Under 'Transactions' put the dates of history you want into the search criteria ( I was able to go back to January 1, 2000).

The most recent 'Travel Earning' transaction is your anniversary.

-=-=-

When was your last AMTRAK metal ride based on that?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 2:32 pm
uxb

They are claiming my last trip was in July '05. Assuming that is true, then they still didn't pull out my points on an anniversary date. It was an arbitrary pull without any notice.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by uxb
They are claiming my last trip was in July '05. Assuming that is true, then they still didn't pull out my points on an anniversary date. It was an arbitrary pull without any notice.
Looking back, early in my AGR time, I also lost points way back when - mostly the free 'sign up' bonus and one LD trip before we started really using the system. That pull wasn't on an anniversary - instead it looks like it coincided with booking well ahead for another trip at the end of the year, which means the system may only check when you're booking a ticket and it realizes that your account has been dormant too long and makes the adjustment.

Since I lost those points, I've been vigilant about keeping the account 'active' and my wife and I frontload her account so we can build up to that big 3 zone trip eventually by making supplemental purchases through the rail mall.

The only strangeness in your post is your statement of 'assuming that were true', meaning you think you rode AMTRAK metal sometime between 2005 and today, and when you did so you gave them your reward number. Did you?

As to 'no notice', that's part of what folks keep trying to tell you. How points expire is in the FAQ, and unless you intentionally opted out, you get a statement every month in email linking back to the AGR site. At least take comfort that others can learn from this and take precautions against losing a commodity, even if they don't use that commodity very often.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 5:32 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by byronczimmer
Looking back, early in my AGR time, I also lost points way back when - mostly the free 'sign up' bonus and one LD trip before we started really using the system. That pull wasn't on an anniversary - instead it looks like it coincided with booking well ahead for another trip at the end of the year, which means the system may only check when you're booking a ticket and it realizes that your account has been dormant too long and makes the adjustment.

Since I lost those points, I've been vigilant about keeping the account 'active' and my wife and I frontload her account so we can build up to that big 3 zone trip eventually by making supplemental purchases through the rail mall.

The only strangeness in your post is your statement of 'assuming that were true', meaning you think you rode AMTRAK metal sometime between 2005 and today, and when you did so you gave them your reward number. Did you?

As to 'no notice', that's part of what folks keep trying to tell you. How points expire is in the FAQ, and unless you intentionally opted out, you get a statement every month in email linking back to the AGR site. At least take comfort that others can learn from this and take precautions against losing a commodity, even if they don't use that commodity very often.
I know I did. I lived in Chicago between 07-10 and took Amtrak on a dozen or so occasions between CHI and MKE cos it was cheaper in those instances for me to fly home to NY from Milwaukee than O'Hare or Midway. I used the Amtrak site, which had my info populated. I tried logging into the site now, and it doesn't even work. (Yes, I had reset the password, and it still doesn't work.)
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:24 am
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
While perhaps not the most ideal solution to the problem of expiring AGR points, one could sign up at AwardWallet. They offer Apps for both the iPhone & Android phones, however one doesn't even need to use their Apps if you don't have a smart phone. One can just use a regular web browser on any phone/computer.

If you create an account and provide the details on your accounts, AGR, hotels, airlines, etc., not only will they track the balances in all of your accounts in one place, but they also track point expiration dates and they will send you an email if you have points about to expire. They also display the expiration dates right in the one page display the shows the balances of each account registered with them.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Just read this entire thread.

I am working outside of the US at the moment and I have just realized that all my Amtrak points (30k) are scheduled to expire in about three weeks. I haven't lived in the US in about three years, and I am not supposed to be back in the US for another two months, so I could use some advice!

If I buy a ticket and have it sent Express Delivery to my US address (since I can't collect it at a station), is that enough to get the points, or does the ticket still need to be scanned by a conductor? I realize some posters in this thread don't think this is entirely ethical, which I respect, so other solutions would be welcome.

Also, does it still take about a week for points to post?

Note that I don't think the AGR Chase card will work, since I just applied for (and got approved for) the BA Chase card two days ago (didn't know about the AGR card at the time).

Would appreciate any advice. The email I received (which was automatically filed into a folder I don't check very often) says my points will expire on May 4th.

And I'm not blaming AGR for this -- it's my own fault for not being attentive!
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Just read this entire thread.

I am working outside of the US at the moment and I have just realized that all my Amtrak points (30k) are scheduled to expire in about three weeks. I haven't lived in the US in about three years, and I am not supposed to be back in the US for another two months, so I could use some advice!

If I buy a ticket and have it sent Express Delivery to my US address (since I can't collect it at a station), is that enough to get the points, or does the ticket still need to be scanned by a conductor? I realize some posters in this thread don't think this is entirely ethical, which I respect, so other solutions would be welcome.

Also, does it still take about a week for points to post?

Note that I don't think the AGR Chase card will work, since I just applied for (and got approved for) the BA Chase card two days ago (didn't know about the AGR card at the time).

Would appreciate any advice. The email I received (which was automatically filed into a folder I don't check very often) says my points will expire on May 4th.

And I'm not blaming AGR for this -- it's my own fault for not being attentive!
Unfortunately just buying a ticket will not cut it. I buy unreserved coach tickets often and hold them until needed. Credit only posts once I take a trip. Your best bet is to get someone take a trip for you. Just send them the ticket confirmation and they can scan the bar code at a QuikTrack machine and be on their way. It doesn't need to be a long trip, or even a round trip, just a single segment between two points and you should be good to go. The conductors are getting better about making the rounds on the Capitol Corridors, but I've had trips where I've been one stop from the last station before they collected my ticket. If you do this, make sure the ticket gets scanned/lifted.

This too is technically unethical and against the T&Cs, but...
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Unfortunately just buying a ticket will not cut it… Credit only posts once I take a trip. Your best bet is to get someone take a trip for you. Just send them the ticket confirmation and they can scan the bar code at a QuikTrack machine and be on their way.
Yea, this might be the only thing I can do

Don't they have the occasional security checkpoint now? Wouldn't they check your ID against the ticket in that case?

I suppose I could try applying for the AGR Chase card, but not sure if I would be approved, given I just applied for another Chase card two or three days ago…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.