Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

No Amtrak travel in 3 years, lose all your miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Amtrak travel in 3 years, lose all your miles

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2011, 12:53 am

OK, there are STUPID things you can do on a train track, but anyone with a modicum of common sense can play on tracks all they want and live to be a sentimental geezer like me. Maybe this is just evolution cleaning out the gene pool.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 8:39 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Thumbs down Ugh

I had an AGR account, which I used to xfer points into CO miles. There was no value in redeeming for train trips as the fares are ridiculously cheap in Chicago. I haven't lived in Chicago for over a year (and prolly haven't travelled to Milwaukee for over two years). I recently got started with Audience Rewards and had made xfers to AGR since April '11. Between that and my HH double dip, I had amassed 5200 points, which I found I couldn't xfer to CO because I was not AGR Select (a change that was new to me). I found out today that these points (all accrued in '11) were taken away without notice. I called AGR and spoke w/ a supervisor named Fran. She basically threw a rock at my head, and said "we're trying to re-engage customers." If by re-engage they mean muscle, then forget it. I have trips planned btwn NY and DC over the next 18 months, and was expecting to use Amtrak for at least half of those, but I guess I'll just keep them all w/ AA or DL shuttle.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 9:00 am

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
points accrued in 2011 should not have been taken away.

You lose points after 3 years of no travel on Amtrak
Old Oct 4, 2011, 10:13 am
uxb

Originally Posted by darben
points accrued in 2011 should not have been taken away.

You lose points after 3 years of no travel on Amtrak
The points I accured in '11 were all partner points as indicated above. I told her that they were accured in '11, but she didn't seem to care. My only options are to take an Amtrak train trip in the next 30 days or lose the points forever.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
get help

Try sending a PM to Amtrak Insider. She has helped others with similar problems.
In fact there is another thread with a similar problem.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtra...einstated.html
Old Oct 4, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Uxb, when did U last ride Amtrak? If it was during/ before Sep. 2008, then under the rules U lose ALL points to expiration--incl. newly-earned partner points !
Old Oct 4, 2011, 3:21 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by Brendan
Uxb, when did U last ride Amtrak? If it was during/ before Sep. 2008, then under the rules U lose ALL points to expiration--incl. newly-earned partner points !
It may very well have been before Sept '08. Not sure.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 3:22 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by darben
Try sending a PM to Amtrak Insider. She has helped others with similar problems.
In fact there is another thread with a similar problem.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtra...einstated.html
Took your advice. We'll see how it goes. Thanks!
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
It would be nice if:

1. The AGR website has some reasonably easy way to allow a member to determine when their points will expire. A line entry that states "Your points expire MM/DD/YYYY" would be a novel idea.

2. AGR would e-mail members 60 days or so before points expire just as a "heads up".

Right now, points expiration is like an attack by a stealth bomber. By the time you get the hang of what's happening, it's too late.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by PHLviaUS
It would be nice if:

1. The AGR website has some reasonably easy way to allow a member to determine when their points will expire. A line entry that states "Your points expire MM/DD/YYYY" would be a novel idea.

2. AGR would e-mail members 60 days or so before points expire just as a "heads up".

Right now, points expiration is like an attack by a stealth bomber. By the time you get the hang of what's happening, it's too late.
I asked them to add #1 a few years but they don't care.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:51 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
+1 Even united.bomb manages to have that feature.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 4:01 pm
uxb

It would be nice if:

It would be nice, but that might cost us taxpayers too much money.

On a side note: Amtrak told me to f- off even though they arbitrarily pulled these points in September w/o any notice of the rule changes or their intent to pull.

Old Oct 5, 2011, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uxb
It would be nice, but that might cost us taxpayers too much money.

On a side note: Amtrak told me to f- off even though they arbitrarily pulled these points in September w/o any notice of the rule changes or their intent to pull.

That sucks, but it's a loyalty program, after all, not something that exists simply to allow you to launder points.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 5:58 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by nerd
That sucks, but it's a loyalty program, after all, not something that exists simply to allow you to launder points.
Yes, I realise that, but I had intended to use the programme again this year. Part of my new job requires frequent travel to DC. From NY that means shuttle or Amtrak. I would use whatever was cheaper. Sometimes that is the shuttle and sometimes that is Amtrak. I should've at least been given til the end of the year before they started pulling points capriciously.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by uxb
Yes, I realise that, but I had intended to use the programme again this year. Part of my new job requires frequent travel to DC. From NY that means shuttle or Amtrak. I would use whatever was cheaper. Sometimes that is the shuttle and sometimes that is Amtrak. I should've at least been given til the end of the year before they started pulling points capriciously.
So as I understand it:

1) You didn't keep up with the T&C's on how accounts are managed, and haven't been on a train for over three years.

2) AGR kept your account active past the cutoff.

3) AGR offered to reinstate your points if you would get on a train within 30 days.

How is that capricious (not that I even know the definition of the term)? AGR does enough wrong as it is (e.g. posting my return trip before I left on my outbound), but this sounds like they really tried to keep you onboard. The fact it doesn't fit your schedule is the only issue, which you control not AGR.

As for your upcoming travel plans, if Amtrak is still cheaper than air and you have the time, why would you not choose the train? Spite? Again, under your control and not AGR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.