Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

No Amtrak travel in 3 years, lose all your miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Amtrak travel in 3 years, lose all your miles

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Yea, this might be the only thing I can do

Don't they have the occasional security checkpoint now? Wouldn't they check your ID against the ticket in that case?

I suppose I could try applying for the AGR Chase card, but not sure if I would be approved, given I just applied for another Chase card two or three days ago…
I have yet to have them check my ID (more than 10 years of travel) on the train, but I have read reports of such things happening. Not to cast aspersions on conductors, but I've done a trip with family and presented three tickets, all in my name, and not a word mentioned. Now this was back before they slapped the restrictions on daily segment/train postings.

If you're worried about it, then get two tickets, one in your name and one in your friend's name. Both tickets can be offered up saying you're in the lav or café car...

I doubt the CC will come through in time. Remember, it's not just getting approved but appropriate postings to AGR too.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 9:39 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
My last trip leaving out of CHI a few weeks ago, everyone's ID was being checked. YMMV.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 2:53 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
ExpatExp, U can try Coupon Connection to try to find someone who wants a train ticket(s) & would give U FF miles or hotel points in return. Or at worst spend 30K AGR to get US$300 in Hyatt GCs from Amtrak. If they won't mail 'em to Europe, use the USA address of a friend/ relative/ office.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 3:15 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Thanks very much to everyone for the suggestions! I will be more proactive next time so I don't land myself in the same situation again!
Old May 15, 2012, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Good point. The OP apparently lives in the TX panhandle, so actually stepping foot on an Amtrak train would similarly require some advance planning. Not impossible, but not especially convenient either. Still, I can't fault Amtak Guest Rewards for this policy. 3 years is really a generous time period.
Originally Posted by AlanB
What's with the "anti-customer" bit. Hilton will take your points away after one year. AGR at least gives you three years.

Now I will grant you that Hilton will reset the clock with any activity, be it transfer, redemtion, or stay. But again, they'll zap you in one year's time, AGR does give you three. I'd say that's pretty customer friendly.

If one can't ride an Amtrak train in three years, then they're most likely just using AGR as a clearing house, which doesn't make them a customer. Sorry!
Having just wasted $36 on an Amtrak mileage run I call BS. The vast majority of programs will reset the clock with any type of activity. In some cases this is as simple as making a $1 purchase on iTunes that requires only a few clicks from the comfort of your living room. All expiration dates are idiotic given the pathetic earning and redemption levels. But I would much rather have a 1-year expiration that doesn't require actual travel. Even Hilton allows you to buy 1000 points for $12 (was $10) and WN RR 2.0 now provides 2-year expiration.

Amtrak is probably 2nd worst in the USA - SPG gets the crown for having a hard 12-month expiration that requires an actual stay or an SPG amexsux.com card.

Will be interesting to see if this posts correctly as I purchased online and traveled a day before the 3-year mark (the ticket was scanned both ways).

On the plus side my 5-year old really enjoyed the approx 1 hour roundtrip (his first trip in 3 years ) and we met some really nice people on the train. I think Amtrak riders are better behaved than airline passengers, though the stations are more scruffy, at least in the bay area.

PS I am not using Amtrak as a "clearing house" - I am saving points until all my kids are old enough to take an overnight trip to the Heartland. I also have 1000s of DL and AA points in the bank. Travel providers should be happy with travelers that keep depreciating points on the books rather than creating current expense.
Old May 15, 2012, 10:49 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Having just wasted $36 on an Amtrak mileage run

[Snip]

On the plus side my 5-year old really enjoyed the approx 1 hour roundtrip
Doesn't sound like a complete waste of $36 to me. ^
Old May 15, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: AMEX Cent AU, UA Plat, 9W Plat, Amtrak S+, HHonors Slv
@Boraxo - agreed on all counts regarding expiration caps and whatnot, but as Fairviewroad said, sounds like it was kinda nice for your son!
Old May 15, 2012, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phillystudent
@Boraxo - agreed on all counts regarding expiration caps and whatnot, but as Fairviewroad said, sounds like it was kinda nice for your son!
Oh yes, he thoroughly enjoyed it. I should probably not be so whiney about a relatively small expenditure of time and money, and just enjoy the moment.

The award chart revaluation was similarly annoying, but I figured I can just get a Chase card when the time comes to cover the increase.
Old May 15, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent AU, UA Plat, 9W Plat, Amtrak S+, HHonors Slv
Originally Posted by Boraxo
The award chart revaluation was similarly annoying, but I figured I can just get a Chase card when the time comes to cover the increase.
True, unless you just get the phantom/random denials for the card. Still not going to understand the lovely Chase Bank USA for that one.
Old May 15, 2012, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phillystudent
True, unless you just get the phantom/random denials for the card. Still not going to understand the lovely Chase Bank USA for that one.
I am sure it is a complicated algorhythm with a built in random number generator Seriously IME once I hit 3 cards I found that I had to call Chase after submitting an app in order to get the 4th card approved, and to shift some of my current limits to any new cards. Unlike others I limit myself to 1 app. per year per issuer. Putting aside the churning, I think most issuers get nervous as their credit risk exposure climbs. So the processing systems and human drones are programmed to reject, unless you call and explain. YMMV.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 4:02 pm

Amtrak Policy Change on When AGR Points Expire

This is from the FAQ on the AGR page:

Amtrak Guest Rewards points expire 36 months after your last paid Amtrak trip. Redemption travel reserved with points does not constitute paid travel. While a cardholder of the Amtrak Guest Rewards® MasterCard® from Chase® with an open account, your points will not expire.

Thus, it appears that having AGR MasterCard activity is now sufficient to prevent point expiration, even without a paid Amtrak trip in 3 years.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
Thus, it appears that having AGR MasterCard activity is now sufficient to prevent point expiration, even without a paid Amtrak trip in 3 years.
That's not new though. I'm not sure how long that rule has been in place, but it has been a couple of years.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:45 am

Well, the rule has been around since at least May 1, 2010. Otherwise known as post #52 on this thread.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Well, the rule has been around since at least May 1, 2010. Otherwise known as post #52 on this thread.
It's good to be repetitive on occasion, especially when the headline to the thread continues to read the same years later. Not everyone has the time to review each and every post.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
It's good to be repetitive on occasion, especially when the headline to the thread continues to read the same years later. Not everyone has the time to review each and every post.
I agree that a thread of this length has diminishing value. But nerd and I were simply pointing out that what you presented as new information was not in fact a new policy. Presenting an existing policy as "new" is not repetitive, it is incorrect. But nevertheless, I do agree it's not realistic to expect that people read through a 10-page thread. And I agree that the thread title is now at least partially out of date. [Never minding the fact that AGR doesn't even issue "miles" in the first place.]

Maybe a FAQ sticky like some of the airline fora have could be used to address this. I'm not a fan of over-stickifying a forum. Of the current 4, I'd say the bottom two are of questionable ongoing value. Perhaps it's time to collectively write a FAQ that someone could compile into one post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.