Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moynihan Train Hall [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2021, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
In the past, I used to visit the lounge after arriving at Penn from WAS. They let me in with no issue. Not sure if they will allow this now..
The official entry requirements for the lounge state a same day ticket in Acela first class (if that's the criteria you are using for entrance). It's not specifically a departure lounge, so you should be able to use it when you arrive.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Nice.... but why are there white roses in the case? But overall much improvement over what it was.
I guess they are trying to pretty up the place! :-) BTW the attendants serving the food and beverages could not have been nicer.
beltway likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 1:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
The official entry requirements for the lounge state a same day ticket in Acela first class (if that's the criteria you are using for entrance). It's not specifically a departure lounge, so you should be able to use it when you arrive.
Lounge access is allow for all Select Plus members. Select Plus Benefits | Amtrak Guest Rewards
So Acela FC ticket is not necessary.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 2:01 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Currently in the Metropolitan lounge and here are some pics of the food and beverage offerings. Certainly a step up from the old Club Acela!!

Any booze yet?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
Any booze yet?
No. I asked. They couldn't give me a date but said that it was "coming soon."
physioprof likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 2:42 pm

Lounge access is allow for all Select Plus members. Select Plus Benefits | Amtrak Guest Rewards
So Acela FC ticket is not necessary.
Yea I knew that, which I why I said "if that's the criteria you are using for entrance." I used to have that status when I was traveling on Amtrak weekly. Now I'm just an occasional traveler!
Old Apr 16, 2021, 5:46 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
No. I asked. They couldn't give me a date but said that it was "coming soon."
The Aramark manager told me this week they have "'passed" the community hearing. The license process takes a number of months, so he estimated around mid-summer.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
I just booked my first Amtrak trip in a year and a half (well, not counting the trip to DC last March that I had to cancel as covid slammed us), and I had completely forgotten about the opening of the new post office station! If I'll be entering from the subway, I trust it's obvious where to go? I trust they've moved the waiting area for Amtrak?
Old Apr 23, 2021, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I just booked my first Amtrak trip in a year and a half (well, not counting the trip to DC last March that I had to cancel as covid slammed us), and I had completely forgotten about the opening of the new post office station! If I'll be entering from the subway, I trust it's obvious where to go? I trust they've moved the waiting area for Amtrak?
If you have a choice, take the A-C-E lines as those run one block west, on Eighth Street, and hence should be a shorter walk to Moynihan than the 1-2-3 lines (Seventh Street). Hopefully your luggage is a backpack or on rollers -- NY subways are full of stairs...
Old Apr 25, 2021, 1:38 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
If you have a choice, take the A-C-E lines as those run one block west, on Eighth Street, and hence should be a shorter walk to Moynihan than the 1-2-3 lines (Seventh Street). Hopefully your luggage is a backpack or on rollers -- NY subways are full of stairs...
Those are Seventh & Eighth Avenues, not Streets. And yes, Moynihan Hall is on the West side of Eighth Avenue.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
Those are Seventh & Eighth Avenues, not Streets. And yes, Moynihan Hall is on the West side of Eighth Avenue.
Good catch, thanks! I seldom go in the NYU / Washington Square area, so don't think about the low-numbered Streets in that part of town...
Old Apr 28, 2021, 9:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globe, AA EXP, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
It's less obvious than you would think. If you arrive via subway, you most likely are going to arrive in old Penn. Be prepared to exit Penn and cross 8th ave to access Moynihan.

I still cant figure out if Moynihan is connected to the old Penn above ground (I've probably done about 15 round trips since it opened). The tracks are definitely connected so when arriving in NYC, you can depart through Moynihan or old Penn depending on what staircase/escalator you take. At night, I choose the later because the surface streets around MSG and Moynihan are really bad right now. Although, old Penn is comically awful with crack heads and hookers everywhere but there are a ton of uniformed transit cops (as an aside, some crack head was getting a BJ in the middle of old Penn the other day like it was 1995 NYC). Old Penn will spit you out on 7th ave when you exit so you are much closer to greeley square (which is one ave east), where it gets substantially safer.

Don't take this the wrong way as I have no idea your background. NYC, particularly the part of NYC around Penn/Moynihan and in Penn is very bad right now with quality of life issues. Crack heads, hookers, people OD'ing, public BJs/urination/people yelling at you or following you. For instance, my parents are from the midwest and in their mid-60s... I'd never let them come to this part of the city in its present situation. My wife won't come to this part of the city or take Amtrak if she is alone. If you or the ones you are traveling with are sensitive to this type of stuff, I'd consider flying into/out of LGA (which also just got renovated and is very nice).
M60_to_LGA and Longboater like this.

Last edited by mbmd; Apr 28, 2021 at 9:20 pm
Old Apr 29, 2021, 6:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Storing bags

Do anyone know if I can store a bag at the New club? I mentioned earlier I saw something looking like lockers just before entering the club area. But I did not ask at that time.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by mbmd
I still cant figure out if Moynihan is connected to the old Penn above ground (I've probably done about 15 round trips since it opened).
It is not connected above ground. It is across the street. But it is connected underground if you don't want to walk above ground.

Don't take this the wrong way as I have no idea your background. NYC, particularly the part of NYC around Penn/Moynihan and in Penn is very bad right now with quality of life issues. Crack heads, hookers, people OD'ing, public BJs/urination/people yelling at you or following you. For instance, my parents are from the midwest and in their mid-60s... I'd never let them come to this part of the city in its present situation. My wife won't come to this part of the city or take Amtrak if she is alone. If you or the ones you are traveling with are sensitive to this type of stuff, I'd consider flying into/out of LGA (which also just got renovated and is very nice).
As posted above, it is best to just Uber to the Marriott Fairfield which is across the street. It's not bad there and the Uber or taxi drops you in front of the doors. Each time I've been to Moynihan there has been police presence throughout. I've seen NYPD, National Guard and Amtrak police. So you are very safe inside the station.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 7:53 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by mbmd
It's less obvious than you would think. If you arrive via subway, you most likely are going to arrive in old Penn. Be prepared to exit Penn and cross 8th ave to access Moynihan.

I still cant figure out if Moynihan is connected to the old Penn above ground (I've probably done about 15 round trips since it opened). The tracks are definitely connected so when arriving in NYC, you can depart through Moynihan or old Penn depending on what staircase/escalator you take. At night, I choose the later because the surface streets around MSG and Moynihan are really bad right now. Although, old Penn is comically awful with crack heads and hookers everywhere but there are a ton of uniformed transit cops (as an aside, some crack head was getting a BJ in the middle of old Penn the other day like it was 1995 NYC). Old Penn will spit you out on 7th ave when you exit so you are much closer to greeley square (which is one ave east), where it gets substantially safer.

I live in NYC and have lived here for over a decade. I'm sadly very aware of the situation these days (thanks Deblasio!), and it is what it is.

So when I come out of the E train, can I access the waiting area where the old Solari board (RIP sob) used to be? Or is that now a thing of the past? I just don't want to spend 20 minutes wandering the bowels of Penn Station trying to find a transit employee to tell me where to go. You'd think signage would make this sort of thing clear, but this is NYC, so....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.