Wiki Posts
Search

Moynihan Train Hall [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2021, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by musicalbox
But many Amtrak riders are subway riders? Maybe I'm reading you wrong but I'd argue differently. My Amtrak trips involve getting to the station from the 1/2/3 line. I pick up some food in the main concourse, head all the way across the station to Club Acela, and wait there for 10 minutes or so until they announce my track. It's always been a bit of a hike but with yet more distance to travel to the Metropolitan Club, if I were coming from, say 59th St (I don't, but let's say I did) and Moynihan has decent food options, I'm switching to the A/C/E now to put me in a better position to reach the new train hall. The tracks being in the same place only matter for people who go directly to the train and those aren't people to whom a new station will matter anyway.
I still would argue that nothing has changed. If you want to pick up food from the main concourse (out of curiosity, what food have you found to be edible there?), you can still take the 7th Avenue line. Just budget an extra 30 seconds to cross 8th Avenue. For those few passengers who have a choice of the A/C/E or 1/2/3, nothing has changed also. The A/C/E always was, and still is, more convenient to reach the Amtrak side of the station. But if they want to grab food in the old section, they still can opt for the 1/2/3, again budgeting an extra 30 seconds to cross 8th Avenue if they want to board from Moynihan Station (though I imagine one can still board for the old station if they want to).
Old Jan 2, 2021, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by vatraveler
I assume so but didn’t go through there. I went from A Train through the West End Concourse.

I’m going to miss the lower level boarding trick. Cattle call in Moynihan. No other option.

It did seem like a majority of people on my train boarded from stairs or escalators that were not in the train hall.
You should still be able to board from the lower level of Penn Station - even if it is a bit of a walk west on the platform.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
I still would argue that nothing has changed. If you want to pick up food from the main concourse (out of curiosity, what food have you found to be edible there?), you can still take the 7th Avenue line. Just budget an extra 30 seconds to cross 8th Avenue. For those few passengers who have a choice of the A/C/E or 1/2/3, nothing has changed also. The A/C/E always was, and still is, more convenient to reach the Amtrak side of the station. But if they want to grab food in the old section, they still can opt for the 1/2/3, again budgeting an extra 30 seconds to cross 8th Avenue if they want to board from Moynihan Station (though I imagine one can still board for the old station if they want to).
Here's a transit researcher explaining that the greater distance from the subway is one of the failures of the train hall. This is an older article but on transit Twitter, this has been a hot topic this week, and it's pretty universally acknowledged that the move west is a problem in that most NY'ers travel by subway. Not just the 7th Avenue line but many people are also getting there via the Herald Square stop a block further east (NRQ/BDF) https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d-penn-station

For me personally? I cannot switch my subway line so as I said I will in all probability continue to board from the old Penn, and I'll be sorry to miss out on the shiny new station. I usually arrive about 20-25 minutes before the train (no flexibility on that one) and leaving the station and going across the street and to wherever the Lounge is (I am going to bet that adds 5 minutes, not 30 seconds, forget whatever you're carrying) just isn't worth it to get a track number. Not to mention, all of that and you end up standing in line, even if you're allowed to board first. If there's a delay, though, I'll be heading over!

It doesn't sound like you are actually interested in the food I enjoy but in the interest of anyone else who is reading this, the poke bowls at Wasabi, the fried chicken sandwich at Shake Shack (the app makes it a quick grab-and-go), or when I am in a total mad dash to make the train, a hot dog at one of the combo places further down the concourse are all my go-to substitutes for the Amtrak cafe car. If I were coming from the 8th Ave side I'd probably go upstairs and grab a slice from that place near Krispy Kreme or a felafel platter from Chickpea.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 1:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by physioprof
This is someone who had been working the front desk at Club Acela?
I wasn't even off the escalator yet or looking in the check in direction and I hear " "sir, sir, sir!!! you CANNOT take that iced coffee in the lounge.... drink it NOW! or throw it out " My reply: "As you wish Miss!" I proceed to take my mask off and chugg it by the unoccupied garbage can there was no one within 50 feet of me (Meanwhile I have company with me who I can see in her face is getting ready to unload a Superstorm Sandy on the Metropolitan Lounge hawk) So i quickly usher us into the lounge (which no tickets were being checked, just a no beverages being STRICTLY enforced LOL).

I must say the lounge is gorgeous, (for Amtrak considering what it was it's a home run) something that is a notch below the EWR Polaris or JFK Flagship lounge on par with the T4 JFK Delta Sky Club but above any other (DOMESTIC) lounge in the ZNY area. (of course there are no showers but should there really be) in terms of workable space, comfy chairs, booths, buffet area) it matches very well. The business center is small (1 computer and printer) but how many people really are using those anymore... and if they are 1 so suffice at most times. there is going to be what 30-40 people in their max (with the UC card access going away)

If it's missing anything thing that's a cell phone call area or some sort of closed door booth to have a private phone call and the bar is rather small at 6-7 seats (with No TV) but that would be the only blemish in my book and rather minor IME.

A staff member did mention that any food or drink "won't be showing up for quite a while given the Covid situation"

As a note: They did announce the track in the lounge before it appeared on the monitors in the lounge or the station below.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 1:49 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Diamond Ambassador, ALL Gold, Hyatt Disc
Question as more folks get to experience the new hall and lounge. Is there any bag storage as there was at the former Club Acela? Have a trip coming in February and was hoping to store a bag or two (as an SE) to explore for a two hour layover. Really looks beautiful. If I just saw the photos alone I'd guess it were straight out of an airport (comparted to Amtrak's other lounge offerings outside of Chicago).
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by roadman3313
Question as more folks get to experience the new hall and lounge. Is there any bag storage as there was at the former Club Acela? Have a trip coming in February and was hoping to store a bag or two (as an SE) to explore for a two hour layover. Really looks beautiful. If I just saw the photos alone I'd guess it were straight out of an airport (comparted to Amtrak's other lounge offerings outside of Chicago).
There was a wall of lockers but oddly the sign said not for luggage storage, (although I think this is because it's not really being staffed properly ATM)
Old Jan 3, 2021, 4:44 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by theboss7593
I wasn't even off the escalator yet or looking in the check in direction and I hear " "sir, sir, sir!!! you CANNOT take that iced coffee in the lounge.... drink it NOW! or throw it out " My reply: "As you wish Miss!" I proceed to take my mask off and chugg it by the unoccupied garbage can there was no one within 50 feet of me (Meanwhile I have company with me who I can see in her face is getting ready to unload a Superstorm Sandy on the Metropolitan Lounge hawk) So i quickly usher us into the lounge (which no tickets were being checked, just a no beverages being STRICTLY enforced LOL).
That lady needs to be reassigned pronto. She's been abusing customers/members for far too long. Zero customer service skills. I didn't even have a drink - just lunch I had purchased to take on the train. Had no plans to consume it in the lounge.

A staff member did mention that any food or drink "won't be showing up for quite a while given the Covid situation"
Didn't stop them in Club Acela, even though the offerings were embarassing.
hi55us likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 1:26 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive

I must say the lounge is gorgeous, (for Amtrak considering what it was it's a home run) something that is a notch below the EWR Polaris or JFK Flagship lounge on par with the T4 JFK Delta Sky Club but above any other (DOMESTIC) lounge in the ZNY area. (of course there are no showers but should there really be) in terms of workable space, comfy chairs, booths, buffet area) it matches very well. The business center is small (1 computer and printer) but how many people really are using those anymore... and if they are 1 so suffice at most times. there is going to be what 30-40 people in their max (with the UC card access going away)

If it's missing anything thing that's a cell phone call area or some sort of closed door booth to have a private phone call and the bar is rather small at 6-7 seats (with No TV) but that would be the only blemish in my book and rather minor IME.

As a note: They did announce the track in the lounge before it appeared on the monitors in the lounge or the station below.
So "the bar" as in a real dinking bar where they will eventually be serving alcoholic beverages???? That would be so amazing!!
Old Jan 3, 2021, 1:49 pm

She is awful, and I've heard her badmouth customers even after they walk away.

So what i'm understanding is that there is no food allowed in the lounge? How is that possible???
Old Jan 3, 2021, 3:04 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
She is awful, and I've heard her badmouth customers even after they walk away.

So what i'm understanding is that there is no food allowed in the lounge? How is that possible???
The problem is Amtrak refuses to do anything about her.

No food or drink. She didn't even want to let me in with food in a bag.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by vatraveler
No food or drink. She didn't even want to let me in with food in a bag.
Wow, that's a complete change in policy. I wonder if it's because of Covid? Like they don't want you taking off your mask to eat? I hope it's not a permanent thing.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by physioprof
So "the bar" as in a real dinking bar where they will eventually be serving alcoholic beverages???? That would be so amazing!!
Looks like it, yes!!
Old Jan 4, 2021, 12:54 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
Looks like it, yes!!
NICE!
Old Jan 6, 2021, 7:47 am

Don't get too excited, if it's like the one in Chicago it'll be a cash bar.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Wow, that's a complete change in policy. I wonder if it's because of Covid? Like they don't want you taking off your mask to eat? I hope it's not a permanent thing.
It's because of the full prohibition on "indoor dining" in NYC. That's why they can't serve snacks nor drinks now, nor can one consume anything brought in. I'm told once the prohibition is lifted, snacks and drinks will return.

That being said, it does not excuse rude answers from staff. A simple polite explanation would suffice.
musicalbox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.