Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

"Nothing Could be Finer Than Dinner in the Diner" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Nothing Could be Finer Than Dinner in the Diner" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Train: Pacific Surfliner
Class: Business
Where: Seat
When: November 11, Snack

The morning trains provide pastries and coffee. Afternoon trains feature this snack basket and white or red wine.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Train: Crescent
Class: Sleeper
Where: Diner
When: December 15, Dinner:

My steak was REALLY undercooked to the point where it was essentially raw in the middle but that was my only knock on the meal

I still miss the old cheesecake and think the grape topping is odd.
CIAO LAX likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:15 pm

When: December 16, Breakfast:

When: December 16, Lunch:

Incidentally, the new Viewliner diners are great.
CIAO LAX and Sicariis like this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: DL, B6, UA, AGR
Acela Express
First Class
Breakfast
December 21st, 2017

Creole Breakfast - Lots of flavor and served hot.

Fruit and cheese plate with yogurt subbed for cheese. Fruit was fresh.
JDiver and CIAO LAX like this.

Last edited by Sicariis; Dec 21, 2017 at 10:52 am
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:55 pm

Acrla Express 2159
First Class
December 21st, 2017

Lunch

90 minute, best part of the Acela.

Chili had a nice kick to it, could have been hotter.

Salad was fresh.
CIAO LAX likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:09 pm

Acela Express 2254
First Class
Lunch

Lobster Mac And Cheese. Creamy and Served Hot.
JDiver and CIAO LAX like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
I wonder how the Indian Shrimp Diner is?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:21 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
I didn't take any pictures, but I sure enjoyed my meal of macaroni and cheese with a spinach salad on the Cascades between Portland and Bellingham.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Wow! Those meals on the Acela look great! They must be causing Richard Anderson many a sleepless night. I've got First Class trips coming up next month aboard the Sunset Limited, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight and Empire Builder. 5260 miles added to my 200,000 plus already ridden on Amtrak. I never tire of a good train ride. I'll be sure to post a couple of pictures here when I get back.
JDiver and dhammer53 like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:15 am

Train: Lakeshore Limited (Albany-Boston Stub)
Where: Room
When: May 18

This train has no dining car but boxed meals were served at about 5 PM. The train leaves Albany and 3:30 and arrives Boston at 8:30

There was a choice between beef and chicken and you got one complimentary alcoholic beverage. It wasn't bad, just not very filling.
CIAO LAX likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 5:09 pm

Crescent BHM-WAS

When: May 24, dinner:

Had a delicious medium-rare steak east of the Alabama-Georgia state line, followed by a tasty pumpkin bundt cake, which was the dessert special. The next morning I had pancakes and bacon for breakfast, but neglected to take pictures of them--you can look at CMK10's post a few back to see basically what I had. The pancakes were great, the bacon meh.

CIAO LAX likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:30 pm
Suspended

It probably is but when you book a train for 430 and you board and the dining car is full for the night there’s an issue
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:28 pm

Train: Acela (BWI-NWK)
Class: First
Where: Seat
When: July 25, Lunch

I boarded this northbound train at 10:13 AM. The car attendant was really great and provided excellent service. We were offered first a round of drinks (he suggested a mimosa or Bloody Mary), then a choice of a continental breakfast or lunch around 11 AM. He also asked both myself and my companion what wine we wanted. He kept refills coming the whole ride too. Absolutely incredible service.

Chicken Tikka Masala

Shrimp and Grits. Really really good in fact. This was my first ever Acela F ride and I ended up incredibly impressed.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
This was my first ever Acela F ride and I ended up incredibly impressed.
Yeah, well as with anything temper your expectations. On my ride last night I had to bug them in the galley for drinks and didn't even bother trying to get dinner. My read on Acela F is that there are a lot of regulars who get good service, judging from the discussion I hear between riders and staff; I'm sure this probably also has to do with the use of cash tips that I see at the end of each ride.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Yeah, well as with anything temper your expectations. On my ride last night I had to bug them in the galley for drinks and didn't even bother trying to get dinner. My read on Acela F is that there are a lot of regulars who get good service, judging from the discussion I hear between riders and staff; I'm sure this probably also has to do with the use of cash tips that I see at the end of each ride.
Well I obviously am not a regular. I also have no Amtrak status and I observed this attendant treating everyone with the same excellent service I got. I did tip $10 at the end of the meal and the attendant earned every penny of that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.