Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

"Nothing Could be Finer Than Dinner in the Diner" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Nothing Could be Finer Than Dinner in the Diner" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2022, 7:59 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Posted this in its own thread before I saw this one:
"We're booked in a bedroom on the WB Empire Builder in April, and just realized that we'll be traveling over the Easter weekend. Does Amtrak do anything different or special on holidays in the dining cars (assuming our train even has a full consist)?"
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:17 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
Originally Posted by gsupstate
Posted this in its own thread before I saw this one:
"We're booked in a bedroom on the WB Empire Builder in April, and just realized that we'll be traveling over the Easter weekend. Does Amtrak do anything different or special on holidays in the dining cars (assuming our train even has a full consist)?"
Amtrak doesn't serve anything special in the Dining Car for holidays. Bring some candy to share with others if you'd like.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
It seems like despite there being two sets of menus on Amtrak's website the Acela menu either doesn't rotate or I'm particularly unlucky and only ever get one of the menus, but here are pictures from two trips this month:

Train: Acela 2254, NYP - BBY
Class: First
Where: Seat
When: March 12, 2022

Spanish Pork Stew
Slow-braised pork with tomatoes, carrots, peppers, sweet onions and leeks, served with Anna potatoes

I think the leeks got replaced by green beans (my eternal foe), but overall tasted much better than it looked, although this is the fourth time in a row I've had this meal already

Train: Acela 2254, NYP - BBY
Class: First
Where: Seat
When: March 19, 2022

Cobb Salad
Arcadian lettuce with quinoa, chicken, roasted corn, tomatoes, red onion, chickpeas, and balsamic vinaigrette

Couldn't bear another round of pork stew so decided to give the Cobb salad a shot — have usually been put off by the description (since I think Cobb salads should have egg and bacon and avocado, and not sure why this one has quinoa) but a friend told me it was decent, and indeed it was.

Excellent service on both trips, and given the 4pm departure from NYP the crew had zero issues waiting until a later / more reasonable hour to serve dinner as well (the LSA on the first trip did ask after departure from NYP for our choices even if we wanted to eat later, just to make sure there was enough of each entree).
jeroen100 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Improved Flexible Dining dessert

Flexible Dining on the Crescent now has a good dessert: buttercakes from Frank & Louie’s in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. They are very good.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by schriste
Also took the Zephyr from Chicago earlier in December with the same menu. Mostly agree with your assessment, but my wife and I both had the steak on the first night and it was much better looking than in your photo and also very good and cooked properly (vegetables overcooked). My wife had had the Salmon on the LSL from NYC just prior to our trip on the Zephyr and thought it was horrible (as are all the "flexible" dining options), so with that fresh memory she was afraid to try the Zepher Salmon. We both tried the pasta dish, and it was not bad. Had the Cheeseburger for lunch one day and it was enjoyable.

Our train had 2 sleepers and the train was close to full, we always sat alone as a couple. Can't recall if there were single passengers eating alone or not, but with the exception of lunch out of Denver, there was never a wait getting a table.

It was a real pleasure to have a proper dining car. Everything about it was far, far superior to the LSL "flexible" stuff.
My four experiences since Amtrak went back to Traditional dining on the Western trains was that the food was very good and both the chocolate torte and the carrot cake were outstanding. Everything was tasty, hot, well cooked and well presented, none of which were true on the connecting Eastern train with flex "dining".

And as a reminder to others, there is no connection between Acela food and that served on the long distance trains.
Old May 27, 2022, 11:39 am

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
It's mind-boggling that the Texas Eagle between Chicago and San Antonio is still serving the flexible dining menu, while most long-distance trains have switched back to the traditional one.
Old May 27, 2022, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DFWFairy
It's mind-boggling that the Texas Eagle between Chicago and San Antonio is still serving the flexible dining menu, while most long-distance trains have switched back to the traditional one.
Try the Crescent:

1. Flexible Dining, even when rooms can cost $1,000 for an overnight trip.
2. No food service at all for coach passengers from about 5pm to 7pm.

I saw an ad for Union Pacific's "City of Los Angeles" in the 1950s, described as a "luxury train", with white tablecloths, real silverware, gourmet meals on the top level of a dome car, a chic-looking lounge car and, after recent trips on the Crescent, wanted to just give up.
Old May 27, 2022, 2:51 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
I saw an ad for Union Pacific's "City of Los Angeles" in the 1950s, described as a "luxury train", with white tablecloths, real silverware, gourmet meals on the top level of a dome car, a chic-looking lounge car and, after recent trips on the Crescent, wanted to just give up.
You could say the same thing about the Pan Am ads from the 1950s on a route like Atlanta to New York.

North American rail travel will never be like it was during the streamliner era. Even if some of those very cars are still running in passenger service on VIA Rail.

Let's keep this thread focused on the current state of Amtrak LD dining.
Old May 28, 2022, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
Flexible Dining on the Crescent now has a good dessert: buttercakes from Frank & Louie’s in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. They are very good.
Too bad the rest of the meal is pretty bad. Especially when compared to the Western trains with their real meals.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 12:03 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
A new menu has appeared for Traditional Dining:

Old Jul 2, 2022, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
This thread makes me sad as I was so looking forward to this experience! Instead, for lunch I was provided a 6 inch veggie Subway, a cookie and a bag of chips with a Diet Coke. For dinner a cold el Pollo loco chicken dinner - 2pce w Amtrak cheesecake and a beer. Also turfed out of diner at 5:45 as apparently they need almost 3 hrs to clean! This was the Coast Starlight to Los Angeles on July 2 where there was a fire in the kitchen putting in out of commission. So, be happy to enjoy the Traditional dining and not Improvised Feeding 😂
Old Jul 4, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Took the Crescent from NYP-WAS in a roomette since the price was pretty cheap vs a last minute Acela ticket. Had the short rib for dinner.

I set "is this better than business class food on Delta or Virgin Atlantic" as the baseline, and I'm not sure that this meal was better than Delta domestic first.

I'm not taking an eastern LD train for real until they restore full dining car service. It's a real shame that they wasted millions on new dining cars that are more microwave service areas with seats at this point.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Jul 4, 2022 at 3:45 pm
Old Jul 5, 2022, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
When there were kitchen issues on the Zephyr (5) last week, Amtrak catered KFC for the sleeping car passengers. We weren't happy. I was looking forward to my 2nd steak dinner.
The dining car staff made an announcement. What a wonderful dinner in Grand Junction on this 3 hour late train. Oh well. I hope my compensation is more than the value of our steaks.

Lemons > lemonade.

dh
Old Jul 7, 2022, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
The Zephyr (5) had kitchen issues on June 30 for dinner. It was 105 F (40.5 C), and the dining car was 95F (35C). At Grand Junction Amtrak catered for all sleeping car passengers KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken). I was upset because it meant no steak for me. My wife was looking forward to the salmon, and my 8 year old grandson tasted the chicken and said eich. When asked about dessert I was told there was none. When I asked about a drink, I was told to go buy one in the Cafe car. Heck, they could have handed out chits. At lunch the following day, they were still having issues, but served a limited menu. When I asked for the beer I didn't have last night, I was told No.

Other than that we had a good trip, albeit 3 hours late on arrival in Emeryville. Photos posted on the Friends of the California Zephyr page on FB.

dh
Old Aug 22, 2022, 1:15 am

Programs: Eurostar Avantage, FB Silver
We are planning a national park holiday (part road trip/part trains) for next year. Wondering, if you board the Southwest Chief (to LA) at Flagstaff around 20:30 (after a long day Grand Canyon NP) and book a roomette. Is it possible to still get dinner? I know it is way too far out to worry about this, but I am just curious . Amtrak website says: "Dinner available 5 - 9 pm, final seatings at 9 pm. A ‘last call’ is made 15 minutes before period ends.". So that 'last call' is around 20:45. A few minutes after the train is scheduled to leave Flagstaff. Will be pretty tight (even if the train is on-time), but is it possible? Or should we just count on having dinner in Flagstaff?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.