Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

"Nothing Could be Finer Than Dinner in the Diner" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Nothing Could be Finer Than Dinner in the Diner" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Train: 59 (City of New Orleans)
Class: Sleeper
Where: Dining Car
When: December 17, Lunch

Again, same meal as the CZ back in June though this time they were out of bacon. Had to ask for ketchup and mayonnaise, again bad service in the diner.

Mmm, raspberry topping.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 6:17 am

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Corn Beef Hash

I was pleasantly surprised with the excellent corn beef hash for breakfast on two of my trips last year (CA Zephyr and SW Chief). It appeared to be homemade and wasn't greasy at all. I have only seen it on the menu a few times, and they didn't have it the second morning of my one trip because they ran out. The quality probably varies by 'head chef', but I highly recommend it.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
I'm always glad when this thread pops up, though sometimes the examples are more depressing than not. That breakfast photo was kind of depressing. Not exactly out to "wow" you, are they?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
I'm always glad when this thread pops up, though sometimes the examples are more depressing than not. That breakfast photo was kind of depressing. Not exactly out to "wow" you, are they?
No I was annoyed, especially as if you go back to this post (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20872963-post42.html) you'll see the last time I had it they did a much better job.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last year the Sunset Limited had separate Eastbound and Westbound dining car menus with some different selections on each direction of the train. Checking amtrak.com just now, they are now only showing one menu. Has Amtrak switched to offering the same menu in both directions now...or is this something seasonal or occasional they usually do?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
Have a couple updates onboard updates from various trips over the past few weeks including my first trip in Acela First.

Train: 52 - Auto Train
Class: Sleepers
When: January 26, 2014, Dinner

Standard Amtrak salad and roll. Nice to have real china relative to the Silver Service, though Auto Train is now loosing china in a few weeks, too.

Rigatoni w/ Pesto Alfredo Sauce and Seasonal Veggies

The pasta dish tasted good, but it wasn't very filling due to the small portion size. It looks decent size in the photo, but was very thin.

Last edited by ByeByeDelta; Mar 5, 2014 at 8:31 pm Reason: Whoops, wrong pictures!
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Train: 19 - Crescent
Class: Coach
When: February 14, 2014, Dinner

Real flowers on the table.

The Amtrak salad and roll

I don't recall the name of this pasta dish, but it certainly sounded and looked better than it tasted. The dish was perfectly edible, but the pasta was a bit dense and lacked any distinct flavor.

Last edited by ByeByeDelta; Mar 5, 2014 at 8:31 pm
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Acela First Class Breakfast

Train: 2250
Class: First
Where: At Seat
When: February 23, 2014; Breakfast

Steak, Eggs and Potatoes

This was a very, very good breakfast. Lots of flavor and the steak was nicely cooked and juicy.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Forgot one one lunch from early January:

Train: 91 - Silver Star
Class: Coach
When: January 5, 2014; Lunch

Look! It is the Amtrak salad and roll!

Panko crusted, oven baked natural chicken breast with a sweet onion sauce and garlic mashed potatoes

The chicken and sweet onion sauce were amazing. Reminded me of a similar crusted chicken I ate on American Airlines in August 2013. Both were perfectly hot and juicy. I don't recall what sauce was served on American, but I had to ask for more sweet onion sauce. It was that good. The mashed potatoes are ok. The taste and texture is of a powdered mix which it probably is, but this dish is still one of my favorite marketplace special rotations.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:37 am

Train: 50 (Cardinal)
When: April 5, Dinner

My first time in the combo lounge/dining car which means meals that are reheated in convection ovens and shorter menus.

Chicken jambalaya, pretty good, though not much food but it was spicy enough!

Pretty bad and tasteless, needed some of that fake fruit topping.

Last edited by CMK10; Apr 7, 2014 at 12:44 pm
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:41 am

When: April 6, 2014 - Breakfast

French Toast was tasteless and there was no syrup, sausages only okay, but that blintz was delicious!
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:44 am

When: April 6, 2014 - Breakfast

This was actually delicious, probably the best lunch entree I've had on Amtrak. My Dad said the burger was good too.

Last edited by CMK10; Apr 7, 2014 at 12:46 pm
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by CMK10
French Toast was tasteless and there was no syrup,

Did someone forget to stock the syrup, or do they not offer it on the Cardinal? Seems like with the inventory system there should be an equivalent number of syrups loaded to match the number of french toast servings on board. Sounds like someone goofed.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by fairviewroad

Did someone forget to stock the syrup, or do they not offer it on the Cardinal? Seems like with the inventory system there should be an equivalent number of syrups loaded to match the number of french toast servings on board. Sounds like someone goofed.
That I don't know, usually it comes on the plate. I probably could have asked but the attendant didn't bring my Dad a coffee refill until he'd asked three times so I doubt it would have gotten me anywhere, oh well.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
That penne pasta looks like a good choice on a long-distance train. Pasta, two beers >> nap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.