Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

"Nothing Could be Finer Than Dinner in the Diner" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Nothing Could be Finer Than Dinner in the Diner" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
Train: 91
Class: Coach
Where: Dining Car
When: Lunch, August 11, 2012

The Chef's Marketplace Special was meatloaf with a mushroom gravy and mashed potatoes. It was hands down the least enjoyable meal I've had on Amtrak in almost 20 years. The gravy was way too salty. While there were several meatloaf slices, they were oddly thin. I didn't have a ruler, but the thickness must have been 1/4" or less. Guess I'm used to heartier slices. Finally, the mashed potatoes were the worst I have been served. Ever. Anywhere. Dry, thin (obviously powdered) with a heavy garlic and salt taste.

On the upside, the Chocolate Caramel Peanut Butter Torte was a fantastic dessert and the service was efficient and friendly.

Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes

Chocolate Caramel Peanut Butter Torte

Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:17 am

Programs: DL Plat, B6 Mosaic
I've been meaning to post these for a while, here are two semi-recent photos of lunch meals in Acela F.....

The first was a small but nice quality steak with carrots and au-gratin potatoes. I forgot to take a photo of the menu so I don't have the actual description.

The second was Beef Eye Round - quoting from the menu, "roasted to perfection, served in a red wine sauce with carrots and pearl cous cous". (Tasted much better than it looked). Dessert was a Triple Chocolate Parfait.

All in all, i've been quite pleased with the quality of the meals in Acela F lately.

Old Nov 20, 2012, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Is it just me, or is that a freakishly-large cross-section of a carrot in the first photo? Looks like the same diameter as the bun.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL Plat, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Is it just me, or is that a freakishly-large cross-section of a carrot in the first photo? Looks like the same diameter as the bun.
'Freakishly large' was my initial reaction as well. Fortunately, the meal was quite good....despite the steroidal carrots
Old Nov 21, 2012, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Train: 91
When: Lunch, November 13, 2012

Went with the Marketplace Special again. It was described as deluxe macaroni and cheese with penne pasta and artisanal cheeses. A roll and side salad accompanied the meal. It tasted ok, but was a bit too salty and the sauce was more gloopy and separated than homogeneous. For $12.50, I also felt the portion was a bit small. Cheesecake rounded out the meal and was, as all desserts tend to be, excellent.

Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:09 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Train: 91 (Silver Star)
Class: Sleeper
When: December 15-16, 2012

I got on in Cary, NC at 9:30 PM so no dinner. Here's breakfast:

No substitutions and they weren't out of anything today ^

The omelet was bad (whatever cheese is in it is really gross), the potatoes tasteless, the bacon barely serviceable but believe it or not, that toast was phenomenal.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Train: 91 (Silver Star)
Class: Sleeper
When: December 15-16, 2012

A really good lunch menu I thought

My usual, excellent as always. My Dad had the Cuban Sandwich we he said was great.

Sadly, no ice cream today, just raspberry sorbet. This was good though.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Bacon was better in the burger at lunch than on its own at breakfast?

Since I'm originally from Tampa, I bristle at the idea of a Cuban sandwich being served on a "baguette," but, I know, Amtrak is limited by what they can get via their supplier.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by trainman74
Bacon was better in the burger at lunch than on its own at breakfast?
Actually way better, nice and crispy just the way it ought to be.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, United MileagePlus
Hello All,

I'm a long-time Amtrak rider who ususally posts on Amtrak Unlimited, however for a current project I have, Amamba directed me here as some people who might be able to help. I'm putting together a blog/website where I will be documenting all of the meals for all of Amtrak's LD routes (for starters, and then maybe branching out to Cafe menus and Acela FC meals).

http://amtrakmeals.blogspot.com/

As I am East coast based, there's no way I'll be able to get a picture of every meal on every LD route, so this is where I'd like to crowd-source part of this project. If you have pictures of any meals that I'm missing, or more updated pictures due to menu changes, I'd like to ask if you could share them with me so I can include them on this site, and make it as comprehensive as possible. Feel free to let me know here, on Amtrak Unlimited, or directly on the site.

Thanks!

~ DCTE
Old Jan 6, 2013, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Welcome to FT, DCTrainEnthusiast!

The blog is a great idea and I look forward to it growing with contributions from AU and FT members.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 7:34 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by ByeByeDelta
Welcome to FT, DCTrainEnthusiast!

The blog is a great idea and I look forward to it growing with contributions from AU and FT members.
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm looking forward to getting assistance from all avenues to round my posts out.

~ DCTE
Old May 6, 2013, 5:22 pm

Train: 92 (Silver Star)
When: May 3, 2013, Lunch

No substitutions today, and the special was a meatloaf dish

Score! A cucumber! I didn't have one last time.

Not bad though a little on the small side. I figured it should have a third piece of meat or a second vegetable.
Old May 6, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
I recently completed a trip on the CA Zephyr from Omaha to Martinez. The head chef really cared about the quality of the food served on this train. Although the menu was similar to my previous train trips, the preparation and presentation were much better. The corn beef hash at breakfast was outstanding, better than I have had at most premium hotels. It was wonderful to see someone who cared so much about her work.

The dining room manager was only ok and lazy (the head chef went car to car to take meal reservations), but the chef made up for it.
Old May 16, 2013, 1:33 pm

Amtrak always seems to do the Angus Burger really well. One of my favorite dining options out of all three menus. The steak looks great in your pictures, I definitely will have to get that next time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.