Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

"Nothing Could be Finer Than Dinner in the Diner" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Nothing Could be Finer Than Dinner in the Diner" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2014, 10:55 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Train: 30 (Capitol Limited)
Class: Sleeper
Where: Sleeper
When: September 5, Dinner

First time eating in my room, the SCA was great and even brought the food out in courses. Wish the table was a little bigger though. Note that the alcohol was BYOB

I don't touch green beans but the steak was great, they asked how I wanted it cooked and it was quite close to medium rare. Other entrees were chicken, short ribs (described as "not a lot of food") lasagna or tilapia

Dessert was sorbet, gelato, cheesecake or mousse.

Last edited by CMK10; Oct 14, 2014 at 6:13 am
Old Sep 7, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Train: 30 (Capitol Limited)
Where: Dining Car
When: September 6, Breakfast

Best French Toast and bacon I've had on Amtrak, everything else about this train went wrong (delayed almost 7 hours) but the food was top notch.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:15 am

Train: 2 (Sunset Limited)
When: October 11, Breakfast

First time I've ever had pancakes on Amtrak, they often end up being subbed out for French Toast. Quite good though, as was the sausage.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:19 am

When: October 11, Lunch

Burger was good as always...I still miss Haagen-Dasz though.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:22 am

When: October 11, Dinner

Steak was very good, cooked close to medium rare too. This dessert, a chocolate bundt cake, was new to me and was pretty terrible. Think Little Debbie style. Seafood was tilapia which my Dad said was okay and the light option was a smaller steak (4 ounces).
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:26 am

When: October 12, Breakfast

The omelet very oddly came filled with asparagus (?) but was still decent

When: October 12, Lunch

Tried the special which was a "Panko Fried Chicken". Ended up being okay, though I don't think it's worth the premium if you're paying cash...especially as the salad is the same crappy one as dinner.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Originally Posted by CMK10
When: October 11, Dinner

Steak was very good, cooked close to medium rare too. This dessert, a chocolate bundt cake, was new to me and was pretty terrible. Think Little Debbie style. Seafood was tilapia which my Dad said was okay and the light option was a smaller steak (4 ounces).
The chocolate bundt cake was actually pretty good when it was served warm to us in the parlour car on the CS. Warming up the rolls and cake made a big difference.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Armani
The chocolate bundt cake was actually pretty good when it was served warm to us in the parlour car on the CS. Warming up the rolls and cake made a big difference.
I can see that, this wasn't very warm. I did find the cheesecake much better than usual though.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by amamba
Did you say bonus points for the food loaded onto a really, really late train? I can help you with that!

I was on the 29.5 hour delayed EB #8(16). This is my KFC dinner, which was loaded onto the train in Wisconsin Dells. I believe we had been on the train for over 72 hours by this point.

Also, possibly of some interest is the "chicken fricasse" over rice that we were served for lunch that day. Let's just say it was disgusting. I had a roll with some butter for lunch that day.

You can read all about the whole trip on my blog, trainsacrossamerica.blogspot.com.
Taking 59 (City Of New Orleans) south back in the mid 90's the diner went m/x and we had to sit in a small town in MS while waiting for our KFC delivery. That must have been some night for that KFC!
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:53 am

Train: 98 (Silver Meteor)
When: November 13, Breakfast

Very happy to find that this train which departs MIA at 8:10 AM serves breakfast starting at 8:45 or so (after leaving Fort Lauderdale)

Pancakes were very good and we were even offered seconds. Coffee was tasty and hot too.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:54 am

When: November 13, Lunch

Special was a grilled cheese sandwich with tomatoes (?)

Burger was good as usual, though I got a way too small portion of lettuce

Desserts were sugar free pudding, ice cream, mousse or cheesecake. My ice cream came over-frozen sadly
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:56 am

When: November 13, Dinner

Nice to see a far bigger dinner salad, though they only had Lite Italian and Balsamic Vinaigrette dressings

Steak was cooked pretty close to medium well and was very tasty, albeit a little small. Vegetables were better than expected too

Somehow that's "strawberry cheesecake". It was tasteless.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Hopefully you rode in a sleeper and didn't pay for those tasty looking meals.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
I personally like the cold dinner boxes served on the Portland section of the Empire Builder.

DSC00945 by B H, on Flickr
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:56 pm

Train: 48 (Lakeshore Limited)
When: December 21, Breakfast

Special was an omelet, pancakes were okay though as you can tell, a little burnt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.