Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelingZoomer
American Express typically allows USA cardholders to have a maximum of four credit cards, plus an unspecified number of charge cards. Personal and Business cards count against this cap. Some individuals have more credit cards if opened before the cap was instituted. Anecdotal evidence indicates the limit may have been raised to five in early 2016.

Edit: As of May 19, 2020, Amex has confirmed the limit is four lending (credit) cards, and ten charge cards. Source

Centurion, Platinum, Plum, Gold, and Green are charge cards.

American Express issues both charge and credit cards for three co-brand partners:
  • Charles Schwab
  • Morgan Stanley

All others are credit cards. This includes all variants of Everyday, Blue, and many discontinued cards. It includes all co-branded cards currently issued for:
  • Delta
  • Hilton
  • Lowes
  • Marriott
Print Wikipost

Amex USA 4 or 5 "Credit" Card Limit.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2021, 7:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Approved for credit card #5 yesterday (DL Reserve, DL Platinum, Bonvoy Personal, Bonvoy Business, Hilton Surpass).
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by BryanIAH
Approved for credit card #5 yesterday (DL Reserve, DL Platinum, Bonvoy Personal, Bonvoy Business, Hilton Surpass).
You and I have a similar lineup. (DL Biz Reserve, DL Biz Platinum, Bonvoy Brilliant, Bonvoy Business, and Hilton Aspire)
Old Oct 18, 2021, 2:19 pm

I currently have a mix of 5 personal and small business credit cards, so I am not actively considering additional applications, since I may already be at the limit.

​​​​​My small business cards were opened as a sole proprietorship, but I also have an LLC.

Does anyone know if Amex allows additional credit cards under an LLC?

Would it be better to apply for a card and wait to see if Amex tells me I need to close an existing account, or proactively call and pose the question?

To go along with my prior question, does anyone know if Amex can transfer sole proprietorship small business credit cards over to an LLC?
​​​​

​​​
Old Oct 18, 2021, 4:14 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Business cards are issued to individuals, not to companies. When you apply for a business card you must provide your SSN. (Corporate cards are different.) Remmber, the limit applies only to credit cards, not charge cards.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 8:24 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
I currently have 4 and they all serve different purpose:
  • Personal and Business SPG: 30 night credit
  • AMEX Platinum: For lounge access
  • AMEX Gold: 4x on grocery and restaurant spend
Also have my Corporate Card and possibly thinking of adding a 5th one for DL Reserve
Boraxo and lsquare like this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 8:33 am
mia

Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
I currently have 4 ....
For purposes of this thread you only have two. Gold and Platinum are charge cards which do not count against the limit.
sdsearch and lsquare like this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 9:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mia
For purposes of this thread you only have two. Gold and Platinum are charge cards which do not count against the limit.
Does Amex's "credit card limit" end up including either of those Amex charge cards if the account member enables pay-over-time or some other borrowing/lending/credit-providing feature for what is otherwise just a charge card product?
Old Oct 21, 2021, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Does Amex's "credit card limit" end up including either of those Amex charge cards if the account member enables pay-over-time or some other borrowing/lending/credit-providing feature for what is otherwise just a charge card product?
I would like to know too, but I think all indication is that it does since it turns the card into a credit product? Quite frankly, I think it's ridiculous that AMEX puts a limit on the number of credit products that one can have.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 11:08 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
Business cards are issued to individuals, not to companies. When you apply for a business card you must provide your SSN. (Corporate cards are different.) Remmber, the limit applies only to credit cards, not charge cards.
Just to be totally sure, my corporate Green card doesn't count towards the 5 CC limit, right?
Old Oct 30, 2021, 12:49 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by italdesign
Just to be totally sure, my corporate Green card doesn't count towards the 5 CC limit, right?
Corporate or personal business it doesn’t matter, the green card is a charge card not a credit (lending) card. Do make sure to have pay over time inactive
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 12:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I can confirm this. I have POT enabled because they offered 10k points to activate it a while back and I forgot about it and I called in because they denied me my 5th CC and told me it would be no problem after I deactivated POT
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
I can confirm this. I have POT enabled because they offered 10k points to activate it a while back and I forgot about it and I called in because they denied me my 5th CC and told me it would be no problem after I deactivated POT
I had that offer available to me as well, but I never signed up for it. I never had any difficulties getting my 5th CC, though. To be blunt, I think AMEX's CC limits are dumb.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
To be blunt, I think AMEX's CC limits are dumb.
It is a smart move by Amex/ Nobody needs that many cards unless you are churning points; they are limiting their exposure.
SPN Lifer, Boraxo and hhdl like this.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
It is a smart move by Amex/ Nobody needs that many cards unless you are churning points; they are limiting their exposure.
I couldn't disagree with you more. I also get the CC for the benefits and not to churn. I haven't churned any card due to the one SUB per lifetime rule. I have indeed signed up for the cards to get the SUB, but it's not churning if I can't get the SUB again in the subsequent years.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 11:05 am
mia

Originally Posted by lsquare
....I have indeed signed up for the cards to get the SUB....
This is the behavior that American Express is trying to discourage. Whether you do it once, or repeatedly, it is unprofitable, .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.