Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelingZoomer
American Express typically allows USA cardholders to have a maximum of four credit cards, plus an unspecified number of charge cards. Personal and Business cards count against this cap. Some individuals have more credit cards if opened before the cap was instituted. Anecdotal evidence indicates the limit may have been raised to five in early 2016.

Edit: As of May 19, 2020, Amex has confirmed the limit is four lending (credit) cards, and ten charge cards. Source

Centurion, Platinum, Plum, Gold, and Green are charge cards.

American Express issues both charge and credit cards for three co-brand partners:
  • Charles Schwab
  • Morgan Stanley

All others are credit cards. This includes all variants of Everyday, Blue, and many discontinued cards. It includes all co-branded cards currently issued for:
  • Delta
  • Hilton
  • Lowes
  • Marriott
Print Wikipost

Amex USA 4 or 5 "Credit" Card Limit.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors
Ah, the network cards are the ones I was probably thinking of. So I would agree then, if the Amazon card isn't one of those then I would expect it would count towards the 5 limit. Thanks.
Now, which one to cancel...
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
5 Amex card Limit?

My wife's Amex profile shows 4 cards, but I'm wondering how many of them count against the 5 card limit.
1. Blue Cash Biz
2. HH Surpass, AU on MY account
3. Bonvoy Biz (was SPG)
4. Bonvoy Biz 2nd card -

she is primary on both 3 and 4, somehow Amex opened 2 accounts for her when she applied once. At least they are Biz cards and didn't count twice against Chase 5/24 and I did get the referral bonus twice...

But how many more cards is she allowed to open? She can't close either of the Bonvoy's until Dec.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:58 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
I don't believe being an AU would count toward the limit.

Note also that the limit is for credit cards only -- all of the current cards listed are credit cards, but if she wanted to add charge cards like the Platinum or Gold card, those aren't subject to and don't count toward the limit even if she were at 5 already.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
My wife's Amex profile shows 4 cards, but I'm wondering how many of them count against the 5 card limit.
1. Blue Cash Biz
2. HH Surpass, AU on MY account
3. Bonvoy Biz (was SPG)
4. Bonvoy Biz 2nd card -

she is primary on both 3 and 4, somehow Amex opened 2 accounts for her when she applied once. At least they are Biz cards and didn't count twice against Chase 5/24 and I did get the referral bonus twice...

But how many more cards is she allowed to open? She can't close either of the Bonvoy's until Dec.
Does she just want to open cards, or get signup bonuses too? If the latter, think twice about closing those Bonvoy cards:

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

and have her put some spend on each of her cards ASAP (if any of them have been "sock drawered", which is something that Amex hates with a passion).
Old Sep 21, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Does she just want to open cards, or get signup bonuses too? If the latter, think twice about closing those Bonvoy cards:

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

and have her put some spend on each of her cards ASAP (if any of them have been "sock drawered", which is something that Amex hates with a passion).
Of course, and we bought a laptop on one of them last month since it had the Dell 10% offer. But no way are we going to keep them open past one year and pay the AF. You know people are closing their Bonvoy cards right and left since the merger and Amex certainly can't blacklist everyone that closes an account to avoid the AF or they would have no customers left.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
Of course, and we bought a laptop on one of them last month since it had the Dell 10% offer. But no way are we going to keep them open past one year and pay the AF. You know people are closing their Bonvoy cards right and left since the merger and Amex certainly can't blacklist everyone that closes an account to avoid the AF or they would have no customers left.
Most Amex customers don't cancel cards at all. (Most Amex customers are not on FT!) They just keep one or two cards forever. So Amex would have lots of customers left.

Look at Chase: They're imposing 5/24 on everyone, and yet this still have lots of customers left. Don't confuse FT churners with the average customer.

And not everyone is cancelling their Bonvoy cards. Some people realize that even with point limits on free night certificates, they can still get more value out of the annual free night than they pay for the annual fee if it's $95 or so.

Even if all you get is a $125 (plus tax) hotel for a free night certificate, doesn't that more than repay a $95 annual fee?

That's why I keep cards with a $99 or less annual fee and an annual free night certificate "forever", because I consider them to be "net negative" annual fees.
bgriff likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
4 AMEX Credit cards, but want more?

I think I read that the usual limit is 4, but under certain scenarios, it could be 5? How often does that happen, 2 of my credit cards were opened between February and June. I’m assuming if I apply, AMEX will block my app and I’ll need to call in for reconsideration?

Edit: You guys think I’ll be ok applying for the new Green card (charge) and Platinum and Reserve Delta cards (credit)? I’m a little scared applying for three cards in one day will get me in trouble.

Last edited by lsquare; Oct 25, 2019 at 12:48 am
Old Oct 26, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
the new Green card (charge)
For some unknown reason, Amex is telling bloggers to describe the new Green card as a credit card, not as a charge card. (I got that explanation from Doctor of Credit, when I questioned why they were describing the new Green card as a credit card. And I've also noticed multiple press reports claiming that it's a credit card, as if an Amex press release had said that.) That despite the new Green card not showing an APR like credit cards do in the online application, and showing the Pay Over Time program that only charge cards have, not the Plan It program that credit cards have.

So could it be that Amex is deciding to treat this charge card as a credit card for the purpose of the 4 or 5 credit card limit?

We may know for sure until we get datapoints from people who are at 5 Amex credit cards and try to apply for the new Green, or until a blogger gets a clarification from Amex as to why Amex is asking them to call this a credit card when it walks and talks like a charge card.
mia likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AS MVP Gold 100K, Hilton Diamond(Amex), Marriott Platinum
I applied for the green card yesterday and was approved. I was at the 5 credit card limit when I applied.
mia and sdsearch like this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Strategy to get the AMEX Hilton Aspire?

I keep reading that AMEX allows a maximum of 5 credit cards. I currently have 6. Unless I'm mistaken, AMEX allows a maximum of 2 credit card applications within a 90 day period. I'm a little bit over 2 months since I was approved for two AMEX credit cards. I currently have a Business Gold SkyMiles card that's not being used, but I've had it for less than a year; about 5.5 months. I guess I didn't really time my applications well, but I really want the Hilton Aspire and the AMEX Green. I don't think I'll have any issues getting the Green card since it's a charge card. The Hilton Aspire is a credit card and I think that's where the problem lies. I think even if I apply 90 days after my last credit card application, the Hilton Aspire will most likely be declined. Is there any chance I can convince AMEX to cancel my Business Gold SkyMiles card without any consequences to help get the Hilton Aspire approved? What would you guys do if you're in my situation? Any strategy to help get this application approved?
Old Dec 21, 2019, 5:22 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
What would you guys do if you're in my situation?
Wait until it’s been over a year since you applied for the delta card, or close something else. Amex has no incentive to help you in this situation, and their rewards abuse team is ruthless.
mhdena likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tonei
Wait until it’s been over a year since you applied for the delta card, or close something else. Amex has no incentive to help you in this situation, and their rewards abuse team is ruthless.
Unfortunately for me, all if my credit cards are under one year old. Given what you have said, I'll have to wait until May 2020 before I can get the Aspire then.

I've had charge cards with AMEX for a couple of years though.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately for me, all if my credit cards are under one year old. Given what you have said, I'll have to wait until May 2020 before I can get the Aspire then.

I've had charge cards with AMEX for a couple of years though.
Oh, boy, if you have 6 credit cards with Amex and all 6 of them are under one year old, you may trouble getting signup bonuses for these Aspire and Green cards you plan to apply for:

You can certainly try for the Green now and/or the Aspire in May, but don't be surprised if you get that popup saying that you won't get the signup bonus.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Oh, boy, if you have 6 credit cards with Amex and they're under one year old, you may trouble getting signup bonuses for these Aspire and Green cards you plan to apply for:

My AMEX Gold is up for renewal, but I'm going to cancel. I have yet to have cancelled any cards that are under a year old. Furthermore, I actually put spending on my cards; both credit and charge. Across all of my credit and charge cards, I probably put in close to $25k for 2019. Not sure if it's a lot or not, but AMEX can't say I don't put any spending on my cards and just going after the welcome bonuses. I want the Aspire not so much for the welcome bonus, which would be nice, but I want it for the extra points and status for my Hilton stays.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
OP, one thought, not sure what your portfolio looks like, but I thought the 6 credit card minimum was for "credit cards" and not :"charge cards". Also, not sure how business credit cards fit into the equation either.

Safe Travels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.