Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

2023 Has anyone actually received a Centurion Card invite?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2023 Has anyone actually received a Centurion Card invite?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2023, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Polytonic
First, welcome to Flyertalk!

I'm a little surprised that the Biz Cent categories revolve around luxury spend. I imagine attempting to buy any kind of luxury good on my corporate card would trigger all sorts of red flags from compliance (e.g. am I trying to bribe someone?)

What kind of business has a legitimate, or at least, reasonable, rationale for spending $6M/yr. on say, handbags or watches?
I don’t want to get sucked into arguing with people that have nothing better to do, after going through this myself what I provided is the REALITY of what I know simply to help others.

You seem to want to argue because who said $6m luxury spend? I said significant luxury spend and I also included about half of my examples as TRAVEL related, fine hotels, private airfare, etc. But on the luxury side, I am an executive, my wardrobe is purchased at Louis Vuitton or Gucci, my 10k briefcase is an LV, I bought a $120k watch which I carry as an asset of the company to diversify my balance sheet away from cash, when you get on the level of being worthy of this card you will understand these things. You could also buy a Lambo or Ferrari on the card, great business expense. I travel the world and stay at the finest hotels, the brands matter, this simply IS part of the criteria. You can argue it’s stupid you can say whatever you want, but for once this thread has REAL info as to what it takes.

Also, there is ZERO marketing for this card. It’s not on their website they won’t discuss benefits you won’t see an ad. You either know what it stands for and want it for that reason or you don’t.

This card is meant for certain people that appreciate it, appreciate the benefits, the spending capability and security, for people that need the concierge to assist them in travel and purchasing.
Statman likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by sethross
...But on the luxury side, I am an executive, my wardrobe is purchased at Louis Vuitton or Gucci, my 10k briefcase is an LV, I bought a $120k watch which I carry as an asset of the company to diversify my balance sheet away from cash, when you get on the level of being worthy of this card you will understand these things. You could also buy a Lambo or Ferrari on the card, great business expense. ...
While one could certainly make those purchases, most businesses that are not privately held would find such excesses to be inappropriate when such extravagances are charged to the company. Privately held ones have always skirted the edge of propriety to enrich their owners. But if you claiming the purchase of a $120k watch is a, "[diversification of] my balance sheet away from cash," I'd say you are trying to pull ur legs here.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
While one could certainly make those purchases, most businesses that are not privately held would find such excesses to be inappropriate when such extravagances are charged to the company. Privately held ones have always skirted the edge of propriety to enrich their owners. But if you claiming the purchase of a $120k watch is a, "[diversification of] my balance sheet away from cash," I'd say you are trying to pull ur legs here.
I am officially leaving the forum as to not waste any precious time arguing with a gaggle of people that seem to have nothing better to do.

what I posted was for people seriously interested in the card, hopefully it helps them.

regarding the watch, no let pulling, it’s on my corporate financials, why? Because the watch I bought for 125k is was worth $250k the second I bought it, so I booked $125k in equity and as the dollar goes down my watch goes up.

get on my level.

also regarding private or public business expenses are business expenses, if the public company cares about Optics they just pay the executive more and he buys the same stuff anyway. Luxury suitcases, brief cases, planners, pens, apparel and suits, shoes, the list goes on. Amex wants to see it, period.

BYE EVERYONE ENJOY YOUR SUCCESS!!
Old Aug 4, 2023, 1:42 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Funny the now-derelict poster claims to have "cracked the code" when there are years of invitation data points here all across the spectrum, even a few of only high five figures of spending (for the personal version, at least).

As an aside, if the poster (or anyone else with the relevant knowledge) could expand on how a watch purchased for $125K doubled in value the moment he "drove it off the lot," I'd love to hear more!
Xyzzy and llary like this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I don’t want to get sucked into arguing with people that have nothing better to do, after going through this myself what I provided is the REALITY of what I know simply to help others.

You seem to want to argue because who said $6m luxury spend? I said significant luxury spend and I also included about half of my examples as TRAVEL related, fine hotels, private airfare, etc. But on the luxury side, I am an executive, my wardrobe is purchased at Louis Vuitton or Gucci, my 10k briefcase is an LV, I bought a $120k watch which I carry as an asset of the company to diversify my balance sheet away from cash, when you get on the level of being worthy of this card you will understand these things. You could also buy a Lambo or Ferrari on the card, great business expense. I travel the world and stay at the finest hotels, the brands matter, this simply IS part of the criteria. You can argue it’s stupid you can say whatever you want, but for once this thread has REAL info as to what it takes.

Also, there is ZERO marketing for this card. It’s not on their website they won’t discuss benefits you won’t see an ad. You either know what it stands for and want it for that reason or you don’t.

This card is meant for certain people that appreciate it, appreciate the benefits, the spending capability and security, for people that need the concierge to assist them in travel and purchasing.
I apologize if my tone seemed critical. My question was genuine, not rhetorical. I do actually want to know the answer to this question! What sort of businesses can justify purchasing (millions of dollars) of luxury goods annually?

My experience working at multiple Fortune 500 companies has been that buying pretty much anything over $50 invites scrutiny from accounting and compliance, but perhaps the rules are more flexible at the executive level, as you say.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by moe8555
Funny the now-derelict poster claims to have "cracked the code" when there are years of invitation data points here all across the spectrum, even a few of only high five figures of spending (for the personal version, at least).

As an aside, if the poster (or anyone else with the relevant knowledge) could expand on how a watch purchased for $125K doubled in value the moment he "drove it off the lot," I'd love to hear more!
I'll take a swing at this one since I identify as someone that has a bit of a problem with collecting watches. The example I will use is the Patek Philippe 5990/1A. This is an "allocation" timepiece, which really just means that it's not something that you can walk into a Patek Philippe and buy. You need to build up a purchase history, go through an interview of sorts, and with any luck, the brand will deign that you are worthy of buying this watch. I've heard of many folks spending low 6 figures and waiting years to be allocated this watch. The US MSRP for the 5990 is $68,600.

There is a thriving secondary market where you can "skip the line" and buy exactly what you want without playing the allocation game. The website Chrono24 is the benchmark a lot of folks use. As of this posting, the cheapest 5990 listed on Chrono24.com is $116,989. I imagine this is what the poster was suggesting - that he could "drive it off the lot" and immediately turn it around for almost double.
SPN Lifer, DMSFCA, Statman and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 4:37 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
But on the luxury side, I am an executive, my wardrobe is purchased at Louis Vuitton or Gucci, my 10k briefcase is an LV, I bought a $120k watch which I carry as an asset of the company to diversify my balance sheet away from cash, when you get on the level of being worthy of this card you will understand these things. You could also buy a Lambo or Ferrari on the card, great business expense.
can you show me where in Concur my admin can claim for a Lambo? Asking for a friend.
ironmanjt and GlobalServiced like this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by immaculate
There is a thriving secondary market where you can "skip the line" and buy exactly what you want without playing the allocation game. The website Chrono24 is the benchmark a lot of folks use. As of this posting, the cheapest 5990 listed on Chrono24.com is $116,989. I imagine this is what the poster was suggesting - that he could "drive it off the lot" and immediately turn it around for almost double.
Maybe, but the notion that this is an appropriate way to invest a corporate treasury, and especially that Amex courts such situations for Centurion, seems to me to be a bit beyond credibility.
SPN Lifer and DMSFCA like this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 7:40 pm
BLV

Oh, lord. What a douchey post from someone who, according to him/herself, routinely spends on luxury and feels all giddy about finally getting the “holy grail” of credit cards.

Sorry to break it to you, but Centurion ain’t all it’s cracked up to be for a while now. Especially when it’s sitting in your Apple pay and even if you do whip it out, NOGAF bc every other card is now black or in some form of metal.

Last edited by mia; Aug 4, 2023 at 8:03 pm Reason: Please write about Amex products, policies & practices, not about other posters.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 12:48 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Steve M
Maybe, but the notion that this is an appropriate way to invest a corporate treasury, and especially that Amex courts such situations for Centurion, seems to me to be a bit beyond credibility.
Oh I completely agree. I was just trying to explain the watch phenomenon.
ofj likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 6:25 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I have been following this thread for several
years and I am thrilled to say I finally received an invitation to apply for the business Centurion. I have seen a lot of misinformation on here so for other people wondering and working towards this I want to share what I know in August of 2023.

Post COVID Amex made a decision to make the card more elite then ever. Previously you may have seen information stating that 400,000 was the starting point for consideration as a business cardholder. I have been a member of AMEX since 2006 and I spent 2.4m on my AMEX platinum last year.

I had the opportunity to speak to TWO business development managers at AMEX to really find out what the starting criteria for business are. $2.4m is VERY LOW for the business card and I was told they are looking for members starting around $6m annual spend.

Additionally, they want to see a substantial LUXURY spend at super high end and we’ll know brands and establishments. Think Cartier, Hermes, Patek Phillipe, Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, private jet travel, etc. This is very important to them.

Additionally they prefer there to be a story behind the member, you should be noteworthy in your field with some press or even a bonafide celebrity.

You must be very high income, this matters, generally 500k a year or more and you should have perfect credit.

I wouldn’t even waste your time applying for interest, it did nothing for me. One day when you least expect it AMEX will deem you worthy and the rest will be history.

They don’t need the customers for this card, this card is a privilege, it’s not amount money for them, they literally don’t care. It is the ultimate financial
milestone I think you can accomplish because even if your rich you can’t buy this card. I wondered recently when I heard the $6m number if I would ever make the cut and I can only say that I am so gracious and happy to have earned this. This is worth more then money.

I don’t know about personal spend but I would venture to say based on what I know that your looking at 500k per year on the absolute low end for consideration.

There are no more then 25,000 Centurion members in the USA. You are looking at roughly 1 out of every 17,000 people have this card. Amex wants to keep it that way.

Also, the card comes with no preset limit like the rest of their charge cards, but the Centurion no preset isn’t like the others. Think a limit of around a million starting, I put through a test transaction of $200k on the app before the card even came and it was instantly approved.

Once you get invited they will have you formally apply, you could actually get denied at that point. It can take up to 72 hours for a decision, mine was instant. They overnight the card to you. This is a completely new account, not an upgrade for your platinum.

Good luck everyone, I went through years of directing almost all of my card spend to my Amex to get here and it took me almost 10 years to make it happen, but I finally did it!!! Long live American Express!!
Such hubris over a piece of metal.
Dr_wanderlust likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by immaculate
Oh I completely agree. I was just trying to explain the watch phenomenon.
Originally Posted by david55
Such hubris over a piece of metal.
I have a story to share. I once had the opportunity to attend an invitation-only multi-day special event hosted by the NYC flagship store for Tiffany & Co. It was for their very best customers and their guests (I wasn't the customer :-)). At dinner one night, I was seated next to the North American representative for one of the major watch brands. I don't remember exactly which one it was, but it was definitely one of the main internationally-recognized brands that most of us would instantly recognize (it wasn't Rolex). Not being a watch person or even a jewelry person myself, I was very curious as to why people would be compelled to spend $10k, $50k, $100k+ plus on a watch. She was excitedly telling me about the latest model of her line that had come out. I asked the only question I could think of: "How accurate is it?" She didn't know!
Old Aug 7, 2023, 9:36 am

Programs: EVA
I am officially leaving the forum as to not waste any precious time arguing with a gaggle of people that seem to have nothing better to do.

what I posted was for people seriously interested in the card, hopefully it helps them.

regarding the watch, no let pulling, it’s on my corporate financials, why? Because the watch I bought for 125k is was worth $250k the second I bought it, so I booked $125k in equity and as the dollar goes down my watch goes up.

get on my level.

also regarding private or public business expenses are business expenses, if the public company cares about Optics they just pay the executive more and he buys the same stuff anyway. Luxury suitcases, brief cases, planners, pens, apparel and suits, shoes, the list goes on. Amex wants to see it, period.

BYE EVERYONE ENJOY YOUR SUCCESS!!
It will be totally worth the annual fee if I ever run into a guy like this while riding my second hand bicycle, listen to him drone on and on about his black card until I pull out my own Centurion and say 'huh, this dumb thing?' and ride off into the sunset.

Originally Posted by moe8555

I'm calling Bravo Sierra on the whole post, however the luxury watch world is indeed a strange place.

I'm a huge Omega and NASA fan so last year I bought a Silver Snoopy Speedmaster for about $10k that I could have easily flipped for about $30k at the time (it's come down since then but no way I would ever sell it). The reason why pieces like this are worth more on the secondary market is that Omega controls supply and will only sell one to you if you have a substantial purchase history with your authorized dealer. I usually hate playing this game which is why I avoid Rolex in particular but Silver Snoopy is too adorable.
SPN Lifer and Parterre like this.

Last edited by mia; Aug 9, 2023 at 6:43 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 1:12 pm

I am an executive, my wardrobe is purchased at Louis Vuitton or Gucci, my 10k briefcase is an LV, I bought a $120k watch which I carry as an asset of the company to diversify my balance sheet away from cash, when you get on the level of being worthy of this card you will understand these things.
All of a sudden I don’t want the card, but I would give 10k to charity to see your accountant’s face as you claim a 120k watch as an asset of the company.. didn’t Elaine in Seinfeld buying a fur hat on the corporate account teach you nothing?
Old Aug 8, 2023, 1:56 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Owning more than one luxury watch is God's way of telling you that you have too much money, and that you have more dollars than sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.