Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

2023 Has anyone actually received a Centurion Card invite?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2023 Has anyone actually received a Centurion Card invite?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2023, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Dallas has a very nice Equinox
Even if you live in the DFW Metroplex for this to be truly valuable the location needs to be reasonably commutable and you need to want a gym membership. The theoretical value is large ($1000) compared to the annual fee, but it's only meaningful to a fraction of card users. The effort to use the Saks credit is kind of similar, especially with the quarterly $250 limits, designed to create breakage. The process to use these benefits not very premium.
wakesetter93 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 4:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by seacarl
Even if you live in the DFW Metroplex for this to be truly valuable the location needs to be reasonably commutable and you need to want a gym membership. The theoretical value is large ($1000) compared to the annual fee, but it's only meaningful to a fraction of card users. The effort to use the Saks credit is kind of similar, especially with the quarterly $250 limits, designed to create breakage. The process to use these benefits not very premium.
When I was DFW based it was right down the street from me. It's in one of the more premium areas, near where Uptown meets Highland Park. Honestly not sure if there are any others around the metroplex.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
When I was DFW based it was right down the street from me. It's in one of the more premium areas, near where Uptown meets Highland Park. Honestly not sure if there are any others around the metroplex.
If it's no longer convenient for you, you are making my point. These discount deals work for 1% of cardholders. And are worthless or painful to use for most of the rest.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 7:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by seacarl
If it's no longer convenient for you, you are making my point. These discount deals work for 1% of cardholders. And are worthless or painful to use for most of the rest.
Yep, I'm AUS based now, the closest one to me I believe is still the one in Dallas.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 7:33 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo
I actually believe it is pretty common in most EU countries (maybe outside of France and Germany) to have a spend requirement of around €100k-150k pa so not to the US and Asia levels at all
Absolutely. I was just talking about UK which I know for a fact used to have £125k limit 10+ years ago. Seems hasn't moved.

EU is substantially less, especially smaller niche Amex markets like Finland, Sweden, Netherlands etc. But still the big fees and weak benefits.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 3:33 pm

Any updates from the US Centurion invites? I was told AMEX does two reviews every year...
Old Feb 14, 2023, 5:20 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Though likely not relevant for most here, just as datapoint, I got to my surprise an invite to apply for the Spanish Centurion card. I have had the Spanish Platinum card for a number of years and last year I put around EUR 50k on it. I do have spend in other US Amex cards which would probably take my overall Amex spend levels (throughout all cards) closer to the USD 100k level, but to be honest I doubt that the Spanish Amex people even have visibility over spend levels across non-Spanish amex cards...

The invite in itself is that standard (non-personal) email with "Dear Cardholder", and a link to the chat-style bot to fill in some basic info. At the end of the chat, they display the annual fee (EUR 3.5k p.a. plus one off EUR 4k sign up fee). Benefits are tiny, from a quick link into a separate site I found. They do not provide a list of benefits anywhere in that invitation email, but I understand these to be mainly a twice a year "VIP meet & greet arrival/departure services" at Spanish airports; 500EUR travel reimbursement p.a., and a 300 EUR "personal shopper" experience plus voucher at El Corte Ingles. The rest seems to be the otherwise fairly standard priority pass +1 guest, a beefed up insurance coverage, and the Prada wristbands. They do not have info over airline or hotel status, so unclear what these are exactly. They also offer 1.5MR per EUR of spend (vs. 1MR per EUR spent in the Spanish platinum).

I think I will pass, as I only use this card for EUR spend where I cannot get any additional benefits from other cards....
Nugget, SteveT, seacarl and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 3:28 pm

They have clearly upped the spend requirement

I have spent north of $500k on my personal platinum for the last several years, $631k last year, and have never received anything. I am considering downgrading to the gold card for the enhanced point structure. I have a business platinum to get in the Centurion lounge and the Delta lounge along with the other, diminishing benefits on the platinum card vs. the increased yearly fee..
Sohan likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 3:59 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

@ Vincent_C Welcome to FlyerTalk.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Vincent_C
I have spent north of $500k on my personal platinum for the last several years, $631k last year, and have never received anything. I am considering downgrading to the gold card for the enhanced point structure. I have a business platinum to get in the Centurion lounge and the Delta lounge along with the other, diminishing benefits on the platinum card vs. the increased yearly fee..
What type of charges did the spending consist of? Business, media buys, personal. Also, did you request an invite?
Old Feb 21, 2023, 6:05 pm

Interesting. I am in a similar boat. I've read on previous threads that zip code matters equally to spend; as in - AMEX really wants the centurion in the hands of the top 1% of a given city. Maybe I should move to Rochester? 😜
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:01 pm

I think the main problem you have working against you right now is that the Centurion program is understaffed, there have been many complaints about service quality, so AX is reluctant to add more cardholders.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by neuro86
Interesting. I am in a similar boat. I've read on previous threads that zip code matters equally to spend; as in - AMEX really wants the centurion in the hands of the top 1% of a given city. Maybe I should move to Rochester? 😜
I'm in Austin, so I'm screwed.

Should have kept my address in Louisiana
Old Feb 22, 2023, 7:33 pm

I'm in Austin, so I'm screwed.

Should have kept my address in Louisiana
I was in Central Ohio before so I know the feeling!
Old Mar 31, 2023, 10:36 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Is there a thread for experiences for Centurion members? And per location? Can't seem to find it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.