Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

2023 Has anyone actually received a Centurion Card invite?

2023 Has anyone actually received a Centurion Card invite?

Old Nov 14, 2023, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by Ortho11
All....GET OVER IT. You are falling for the trap Amex has set. The Centurion card is now nothing more than a carrot used to entice you to spend on their cards. Spend on the card that is best for YOU (ie. rewards, cash back) not what is best for Amex.
Have had the Centurion since April and love it. I have the business card - the 50% rebate on first class tickets (using points) has paid for the card itself. Airport butler, Hertz Plat, Hilton Gold, Equinox - all have been great.

If you travel and stay at hotels, you'll save good money with this card.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 11:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
The nearest Equinox club is 392 miles from me, or roughly a 6 hour drive (each way). It sure would have been nice to be able to get a waiver or something, but to be forced to join a gym that isn't even in your state is pretty annoying. Amex had zero interest in trying to do anything, so we dropped the card a while back. I miss some of the perks, but the forced gym membership was the final straw.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by GNALUZU
The nearest Equinox club is 392 miles from me, or roughly a 6 hour drive (each way). It sure would have been nice to be able to get a waiver or something, but to be forced to join a gym that isn't even in your state is pretty annoying. Amex had zero interest in trying to do anything, so we dropped the card a while back. I miss some of the perks, but the forced gym membership was the final straw.
Nobody is forcing you to join that gym chain. Amex is expecting a large amount of breakage on these things -- people not taking advantage of everything ffered to them. The key is to determine for yourself whether the annual fee is worth it to you vs. the benefits offered.
SPN Lifer, SteveT and hhdl like this.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by SteveT
Thanks for the updates.

Was your request for a Personal or Business Centurion? For DP, what has been your spend?

Business centurion, have ~1 million spend, been increasing each year. I plan to call again just to try. I may have made a mistake to not update my net wealth under my profile (7x higher than was listed) before calling too (or I'm just too basic for them and don't spend enough). The "no" I got seemed automatic too. No hesitation, just the try calling back next year.
SteveT likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 10:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Nobody is forcing you to join that gym chain. Amex is expecting a large amount of breakage on these things -- people not taking advantage of everything ffered to them. The key is to determine for yourself whether the annual fee is worth it to you vs. the benefits offered.
You're right, nobody is being forced to join. Howvever, you are being forced to pay for the membership as a part of your annual fee whether you go or not. Just seems like a money grab where they know the majority of card holders won't be going to Equinox.

LIke you said, each person has to decide if the fees are worth it. To me, they weren't any longer.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 4:28 pm

You should consider moving spend to a personal card...

Originally Posted by menemotxi
Business centurion, have ~1 million spend, been increasing each year. I plan to call again just to try. I may have made a mistake to not update my net wealth under my profile (7x higher than was listed) before calling too (or I'm just too basic for them and don't spend enough). The "no" I got seemed automatic too. No hesitation, just the try calling back next year.
Seems like for the Business version the annual needs to be much higher. And, in either case, it needs to be a consistent few years of high spend! Good luck!
Old Dec 3, 2023, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Fangflyer
Seems like for the Business version the annual needs to be much higher. And, in either case, it needs to be a consistent few years of high spend! Good luck!
That was my thought too. Just decided to respond to the targeted personal card I just got in the mail. I'll just convert my spending over to the personal.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 10:59 am

That was my thought too. Just decided to respond to the targeted personal card I just got in the mail. I'll just convert my spending over to the personal.
If the spending looks like its for a business (ie construction supplies) I believe people have said it wont count the same way as general luxury spend.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 3:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Originally Posted by newmanium
If the spending looks like its for a business (ie construction supplies) I believe people have said it wont count the same way as general luxury spend.
I know of at least one case where this was absolutely not true.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 3:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Originally Posted by tangfish
No, it's not worth it and it hasn't been for awhile... that is my opinion anyways. I used to be able to eke out value meeting the cost in about half of the years I had the card, but ever since the addition of the Equinox gym membership for $3,500 a year, and the fact that I don't have an Equinox location within two states of where I reside, it has become impossible to recoup meaningful value for the AF paid. I'm a Centurion and later a Business Centurion of 20 years as of 2023.
If only they would add Lifetime Fitness gym membership as a benefit... They've gone up to $300/mo for a family and are located in a whole lot of cities so that benefit would make a lot of sense.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 12:22 am

What was you spend and history with amex like? There was a source that said that they paused all Centurion memberships until further notice. Does anyone else know if this is true? I have also had many people tell me that referring people to the Centurion program with decent spend works. Has anyone had luck with this?
Old Dec 11, 2023, 12:27 pm

What was you spend and history with amex like? There was a source that said that they paused all Centurion memberships until further notice. Does anyone else know if this is true? I have also had many people tell me that referring people to the Centurion program with decent spend works. Has anyone had luck with this?
Old Dec 11, 2023, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by newmanium

My past Centurion experience was that if you have any type of spend that catches their dollar threshold or some combination of elevated spend with luxury related goods/services, this got you a dedicated Business Development manager. IE if you spend an exorbitant amount on office supplies, advertising, random stuff that will likely eventually catch their eye. Exorbitant meaning $300k+ monthly for a year(s). Best chance are some combination of , If you spend "enough" to get on their radar or spend enough + have luxury spend to get you on the radar for a high net worth net worth account rep to advocate for you. Both involve an experienced dedicated rep. Also there are different levels of account reps, I have reps for my Plum and Business Gold cards, they had no pull or method to assist with Centurion. Each time they contact me when I mention my Centurion account, it is like a totally different company almost to them.

TLDR Have a Platinum card, spend alot alot or spent alot + luxury items to get on someone at Amex's radar for them to advocate for you
Old Dec 11, 2023, 12:54 pm

Is it possible to request an account rep if an individual spending a very high amount?
Old Dec 11, 2023, 10:57 pm

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
It truly baffles me that people still go to lengths to get the centurion card. Many years ago it was something to strive for and clearly delivered value and prestige that was worth manufacturing spend for. These days its something we PAY to have. I am just too lazy to cancel it and having already paid the initiation I figure meh Ill keep it for now. But I seriously wonder what benefits the card offers in 2023-2024 that are worth going out of ones way to attain, especially given the current initiation fee and AF. It just aint worth it, people!

Coming from a centurion cardholder going into his 21st year of membership, there are a lot better things to spend your time and money on than the Amex centurion card, which is now just a shadow of itself.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.