Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Welcome bonus eligiblity

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2022, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Welcome bonus eligiblity

Besides the once per lifetime rule, are there other considerations for welcome bonus eligibility? Just tried to apply for the 90k amex gold offer (via referral) and never had this card before, but got the pop-up saying i was not eligible for the bonus. I did apply for a platinum within the past year for a bonus (09/2021), does that matter?
Old Aug 12, 2022, 5:43 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by gogogofalcons
... other considerations for welcome bonus eligibility? ...
Several other considerations: “Based on your history with credit card balance transfers, American Express welcome offers, introductory APR offers, or the number of Cards you have opened and closed, you are not eligible to receive the welcome offer.” Considerations apparently are different for Membership Rewards cards compared to affiliated (Delta, Marriott, etc.) cards. Not sure if anyone outside of AmEx truly knows what the secret sauce is.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 7:35 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gogogofalcons
... I did apply for a platinum within the past year for a bonus (09/2021), does that matter?
Did you continue to spend on the card after earning the bonus? Do you have a history of applying for other American Express cards that you used only to earn a bonus?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Did you continue to spend on the card after earning the bonus? Do you have a history of applying for other American Express cards that you used only to earn a bonus?
Yeah my platinum has pretty good spend on it. Never really churned with Amex except swapping my old platinum for a Schwab platinum last year
Old Aug 12, 2022, 8:52 am

How often do you use your other AMEX cards? Do you have a history of getting bonuses and stopping to use the cards? How many cards have you canceled? These are all factors.

To get out of pop-up jail, make sure you use your other cards every month, at least once. And wait a few weeks at least before applying again.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 2:14 am

I got the pop-up when I applied for the Hilton Aspire back in May. Now it seems like I’m pre-approved for a few cards like the Platinum and Gold cards.

Is there any way to check if I’ll get the pop-up without actually applying? When I click through to the application form for the Gold Card, for example, I just need to provide my income and then there’s an “Agree & Submit” button. Will that automatically submit my application if I’m eligible for the welcome bonus?
Old Aug 15, 2022, 11:03 am

Pre-approved does not guarantee you will actually get it, its a confusing topic. But if you would rather the Aspire instead of Gold/Platinum what is the harm in trying it? Worse case scenario you get the pop-up again
Old Aug 15, 2022, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by yowflyer
... got the pop-up ... pre-approved ...
Agree that “it’s confusing” and that “pre-approved” is not synonymous with (application) “approved”. There’s little rhyme or reason to “pop-up jail” and it’s different for MR cards and affiliated (Delta, Marriott, Hilton, etc.) cards. During the past 16 months I’ve received ineligible pop-ups for AmEx Marriott Biz card approximately 6-8 times (every 2-3 months) and AmEx Green Biz twice. In that same timeframe I’ve been instantly approved for 4-5 targeted NLL Biz Plats and 2-3 targeted NLL Biz Golds. Go figure.

… any way to check if I’ll get the pop-up without actually applying? …
No. But there are no adverse consequences of receiving the “ineligible” pop-up (other than not getting the card and/or SUB) and then terminating the application process. AmEx (fortunately) allegedly does not do a hard pull for existing customers, application can be (basically) withdrawn and one can apply again at any future date without AmEx considering the withdrawn application.

… application form for the Gold Card, for example, I just need to provide my income and then there’s an “Agree & Submit” button. Will that automatically submit my application if I’m eligible for the welcome bonus?
It will submit your application regardless of eligibility. If you got the pop-up it will submit your application without bonus eligibility. If you did not get the pop-up it will submit your application with bonus eligibility.
yowflyer likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
No. But there are no adverse consequences of receiving the “ineligible” pop-up (other than not getting the card and/or SUB) and then terminating the application process. AmEx (fortunately) allegedly does not do a hard pull for existing customers, application can be (basically) withdrawn and one can apply again at any future date without AmEx considering the withdrawn application.
It does show as in progress on the application status page, so not sure if that impacts future applications or not

https://online.americanexpress.com/e...CheckAction.do
Old Aug 16, 2022, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Schnit
... not sure if that impacts future applications or not ...
IME over the past year or so, with 6 or 7 (targeted NLL) biz Plats and/or biz Golds and 2 or 3 declines due to “approved an application for same type of card within last few months” (i.e. same card approved in past 90 days) and then instantly approved applications for the same cards a week or a month later at 95-110 days, there’s been no adverse consequences. I’ll update in 3 weeks when I apply (again) for a biz Plat at 91 days since last biz Plat approval and 4 weeks from previous biz Plat decline (TOFTT application to see if 90 day rule was still in effect).
Old Aug 22, 2022, 7:45 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
FWIW my P2 applied for an AMEX Gold card 100k offer for $4k spend. She did not receive a pop up but I know she had the PRG sometime 5-8 years ago. My experience is that bonus points post within a day or two of hitting the spend. It's been a week now with no bonus. I guess I'll just wait it out. I know the pop-up isn't foolproof; it would be unfortunate to have paid $250 for no SUB.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 7:50 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jags86
....My experience is that bonus points post within a day or two of hitting the spend
My experience is that there is no consistency. Sometimes the bonus does post immediately, but other times not until the maximum period specified in the terms.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 8:27 pm

… it would be unfortunate to have paid $250 for no SUB.
Yes, more than unfortunate, it’s infuriating. Delayed AmEx SUBs are not unheard of.

Originally Posted by mia
My experience is that there is no consistency. Sometimes the bonus does post immediately, but other times not until the maximum period specified in the terms.
Agree. IME of over 50 AmEx approvals & SUBs over the past 15 years (including ~12 Delta, ~12 Hilton, ~8 SPG, ~20 MR), 80% of SUBs post to the respective program with 2-3 days of meeting the MS, even if midcycle of the billing period. 15% have posted seemingly at random (times) and 5% have never posted.

… just wait it out ...
Excellent thought, (as above) until the maximum period specified in the terms (often 90 days from application/approval date).

(Watchful waiting (also watch and wait or WAW) is an approach to a medical problem in which time is allowed to pass before medical intervention or therapy is used.)
Old Aug 26, 2022, 4:27 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
100k bonus posted today. Huzzah.
happychic likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Pretty sure I'm in this jail too. What's weird is that I've literally only had 2 Amex cards - the free Hilton one (gotten 3 years ago) and the Personal Plat (got it last year). I primarily use my CSP though, so maybe that's why? Either way I've gotten the ineligible pop up both when trying to apply for another Hilton card OR the Marriott card, so it's across the board. Guess I'll use the plat a bit more often before I cancel it and make sure to remember to use the free card at least once a month until I'm back in the good graces?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.