Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014; Expanded 31 December 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Click HERE to read discussion from 2013 - 2021.

FAQ
Q: Where is the lounge?
A: Terminal 3, F concourse, right by Gate F2 (formerly gate 75) and the F-1 security checkpoint (that has PreCheck, sometimes).

Q: Can I visit there if I'm departing from another terminal?
A: Absolutely. Security at SFO will let passengers departing from any concourse at SFO go through security in any concourse, even ones that aren't connected behind security. At the moment, concourses C, D, E, F, and G are all connected airside to the Centurion lounge. From boarding areas A or B you would have to clear security twice. For the most up-to-date info, see Connecting in SFO thread in the FlyerTalk San Francisco forum.

Q: Can I visit if I'm arriving at SFO?
A: Centurion Lounges no longer offer access on arrival.

Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014; Expanded 31 December 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2023, 1:58 am

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by mia
The website still lists a chef:
You are right. The quality of the cooking was so low compared to what I remember pre-pandemic that I assumed no chef was involved. What must be happening instead is they hired a chef to come up with the menu but clearly that chef isn't involved in making sure the staff actually prepares the food properly, uses high-quality ingredients, etc. The chicken was rubbery, cold, not seasoned well at all, the string beans as I mentioned were dry and overcooked, really tough to even bite into, and on and on. Just so bad. A far cry from what it used to be.

I just feel like Amex needs to figure out how it is positioning itself - if they want to project an upscale image they need to spend the money on these details. At least have some chef stop by the kitchen once in a while to get them to cook the food half decently.

Now I'm not saying that SkyClubs all have superb food, but the quality level is better and overall the experience just feels higher quality. More attention to detail.
Mama likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 12:49 am

Programs: UA 1K MM *G
Agreed the food quality can be improved. Too much chicken thigh being offered. This was offered two different way on the last visit.

Chef Ravi does revise the menu, but assume remotely. Some dishes that were introduced at the post-reno opening have already change.

I would be amazed (and surprised) if a beef dish is ever offered during one of my visits.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 8:48 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I visited this morning and found respite in the new expansion since the old section was packed. I did have to go back to the main buffet, however, as the staff said the buffet in the back doesn't open until 08:30.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 12:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I went by the lounge yesterday (Sunday) from 9:45 AM to 11:45 AM. There was no wait to get in. This was my first visit since the renovations.

At first I thought the lounge was crowded because the main seating area from the old days was full

The newer parts were not though. I think people just gravitate to the old area

I really liked the new bar (it started serving cocktails at 10:30 AM)

The old bar being now a beer and wine bar was smart and had some good local beers

Food remains crappy (among the worst in my opinion) and was far worse than in LAS where I'd started my day. Still, overall it's a way better lounge to use than it was last year.
Statman, kirkwoodj, Majuki and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 6:58 am

Visited the expanded lounge on a Friday afternoon at about 5pm. Asked for a shower room and was available 5 mins after. There is sign post saying that max 15 mins for shower. I found that it is too short. Maybe 20 mins is better

Food definitely went downhill (last time I visited was before COVID). I recall having tasty chicken breast with truffle sauce before COVID and there is only some tough chicken pieces this time.

The new bar ran out of mint. The old bar was still superb. Food at the old area was definitely better than the new area.

The lounge closed promptly at 9pm and I then moved to the even more crappy UA lounge waiting for my long flight to SIN.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by khkchan
Asked for a shower room and was available 5 mins after. There is sign post saying that max 15 mins for shower.
I forget if there was a sign in the old location, but there are 15-minute time limit signs at DFW too. I've not had someone barge in before or knock on the door at the end of the 15 minutes.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 8:29 am

Recently, had a chance to visit during the post expansion era. Food offerings appear expanded with some deli meats and cheeses to go along with the customary chicken; at least, this time the chicken thighs actually had some taste. So, definitely an improvement there, I suppose. It seems well staffed, better run than in the past, and very proactive service on clearing tables and removing used plates & utensils, which makes it even more perplexing why some still insist on bringing a used plate when going for seconds. I'll never understand this phenomenon.

It was somewhat crowded, but a cardmember could easily find a seat somewhere--the lounge does appear considerably larger. I did see a number of people with guests, but not an inordinate amount, I suppose. What was missing were children (from JFK too), but it could've just been a coincidence.

It's an improvement and I'll likely start visiting this lounge again.
Boraxo and synzero like this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Visconti (Post # 383)
It seems well staffed, better run than in the past, and very proactive service on clearing tables and removing used plates & utensils, which makes it even more perplexing why some still insist on bringing a used plate when going for seconds. I'll never understand this phenomenon.
They are most likely kind, courteous, and well-intentioned guests seeking to minimize work for the staff. 💕

And perhaps fastidiously clean people who wouldn't think of letting a serving utensil touch their plate.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
They are most likely kind, courteous, and well-intentioned guests seeking to minimize work for the staff. 💕
Ah, not that I'm proud of this, but the above is probably why I had been so puzzled because the above was probably something that had never occurred to me! LOL I had always considered my restraint as an act of ensuring job security for the staff, but point taken.

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
And perhaps fastidiously clean people who wouldn't think of letting a serving utensil touch their plate.
Hm, possible. Many years ago, I was told during formal Chinese dinners (this was in HK), one's chopsticks should never make contact with one's lip or mouth.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 8:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AS MVP Gold 100K, Hilton Diamond(Amex), Marriott Platinum
Got here at 05:30. Seems a bit more busy than last couple weeks. My AS flight keeps getting delayed so have reinterred twice without having to keep checking in. Will actually get to enjoy the full bar in 40 minutes. I do like the breakfast sausages better at the SEA lounge.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Visconti

It was somewhat crowded, but a cardmember could easily find a seat somewhere--the lounge does appear considerably larger. I did see a number of people with guests, but not an inordinate amount, I suppose. What was missing were children (from JFK too), but it could've just been a coincidence.
Great review. I have never seen a lot of children at SFO except in UA lounge. Keep in mind city of SF has the lowest <18 population of any major US city. Also not peak family travel dates though spring break may impact some destinations.
SPN Lifer and Visconti like this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 7:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AS MVP Gold 100K, Hilton Diamond(Amex), Marriott Platinum
Here now. Main kitchen is down and they are using the smaller secondary kitchen today. They are talking about moving buffet to the smaller area by the large bar. Might have smaller food choices today. The plan is to have everything fixed later today.
Old May 20, 2023, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I was here yesterday, have been visiting semi-regularly recently since PHX flights have been departing from F1 or F3. No issues getting in or finding a seat since expansion plus new guest policy. The new room at the back is nice enough, but there's no A/C and it can be really warm. Yesterday I was in the "old" room adjacent to the entry and it was very comfortable. Food has become truly pathetic. Chicken wings or thighs plus several tofu options.
Boraxo likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 12:48 pm

It’s crowded today, barely any seats left in the back or front. I assume this is a busy travel day. There are a lot of couples here so either everyone has 2x Platinum cards, or is paying the guest fee.

That being said, I brought my guest, and was willing to pay, but I don’t think they charged me.

What is the policy on kids? There are 2 kids here, and thats fine, but I can’t imagine spending $100 to guest my kids into a lounge.
Old May 26, 2023, 2:25 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
What is the policy on kids?
Under 2 = Free
2-17 = $30/each
18+ = $50/each

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.