Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Personal Platinum (USA) Saks 5th Ave $50 credit Jan-Jun and Jul-Dec each year.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Previous thread is HERE.

$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

Personal Platinum (USA) Saks 5th Ave $50 credit Jan-Jun and Jul-Dec each year.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2022, 12:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Just now, I had a clerk adamantly refuse to take regular Saks gift cards. When I tried to push the matter, she firmly stood her ground saying that it was store policy to refuse them unless they were specifically from Off 5th.

Tested it at Saks Off online, same item appeared to work fine with regular Saks card. Unfortunately, sounds as though store management has trained employees to refuse Saks cards there.
She was clearly violating the terms printed directly on the gift card:

"This Gift Card may be used only to purchase merchandise and services sold at Saks Fifth Avenue and OFF 5TH stores, through 877.551.7257 or at Saks.com and saksoff5th.com."

(bolding mine)

You should have called her out on it and asked for a manager or supervisor.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by friedablass
She was clearly violating the terms printed directly on the gift card:

"This Gift Card may be used only to purchase merchandise and services sold at Saks Fifth Avenue and OFF 5TH stores, through 877.551.7257 or at Saks.com and saksoff5th.com."

(bolding mine)

You should have called her out on it and asked for a manager or supervisor.
These cards did not have OFF 5TH mentioned; she scrutinized them looking for that before refusing to accept them. When I said I'd used them there recently (last summer) that cut no ice with her at all.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 1:51 pm

These cards did not have OFF 5TH mentioned; she scrutinized them looking for that before refusing to accept them. When I said I'd used them there recently (last summer) that cut no ice with her at all.
Do you mind posting a picture of the terms on your card? I'm assuming you purchased yours in store. I wonder when they removed the Off 5th from the terms on those cards. The ones you buy online still had them until very recently. I don't currently have any on hand or I'd post a picture but the terms under details on the product page on the site still includes Off 5th.

https://www.saksfifthavenue.com/prod...015611815.html
Old Feb 17, 2022, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Do you mind posting a picture of the terms on your card? I'm assuming you purchased yours in store. I wonder when they removed the Off 5th from the terms on those cards. The ones you buy online still had them until very recently. I don't currently have any on hand or I'd post a picture but the terms under details on the product page on the site still includes Off 5th.

https://www.saksfifthavenue.com/prod...015611815.html
Now this is interesting, i have about 5 cards (all purchased last year from Phoenix and LV physical stores) and they all say the following

No mention of OFF 5th
Old Feb 17, 2022, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by arshi007
Now this is interesting, i have about 5 cards (all purchased last year from Phoenix and LV physical stores) and they all say the following
If you show the off 5th cashier the terms for a gc from the Saks site and tell them to try applying your gc to your purchase and see what happens, I wonder if they'd do it or just continue to refuse. If the card works at off 5th online I'm pretty sure it would work in store and you'd be able to call their bluff once they tried and saw it was successfully applied as payment towards the purchase.

Last edited by mia; Feb 17, 2022 at 3:31 pm
Old Feb 17, 2022, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
If you show the off 5th cashier the terms for a gc from the Saks site and tell them to try applying your gc to your purchase and see what happens, I wonder if they'd do it or just continue to refuse. If the card works at off 5th online I'm pretty sure it would work in store and you'd be able to call their bluff once they tried and saw it was successfully applied as payment towards the purchase.
Points Scrounger may remember I posted this exact situation in October (which is now in the archived thread): $50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

I was at Off 5th today and tried to pay with a couple of Saks GCs (bought at the full line store for the Amex credit) and the transaction wouldn't go thru. After swiping the pin pad said "transaction cancelled" and the sales rep wasn't able to override it. She said this change was made about a year ago

All the gift cards I've purchased in store in the past year look like ^ and don't say Off 5th anywhere on the back of the card. I haven't tried using a GC in person since I posted that in Oct though.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Points Scrounger may remember I posted this exact situation in October (which is now in the archived thread): $50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

All the gift cards I've purchased in store in the past year look like ^ and don't say Off 5th anywhere on the back of the card. I haven't tried using a GC in person since I posted that in Oct though.
Did they continue to work online at off 5th though?
Old Feb 17, 2022, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
The clerk point-blank refused to try the Saks cards at all, mumbling something about "We don't get repaid (by Saks)" as though if the card goes through, Off 5th is somehow "left holding the (actuarial) bag" when all is said and done.

I got the sense the clerk had been trained (instructed) to refuse Saks cards, where escalating would've been pointless. I've ordered the item online successfully with those evil cards for in-store pickup of the very same item. It makes no sense that Off 5th online continues to accept this "liability" while training store staff to refuse Saks cards, unless they're unaware of such a loophole.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Did they continue to work online at off 5th though?
Yes, I say in my post that they did work online.

And to add, I was able to swipe them, the employee didn't stop me but they didn't go through.
friedablass likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 4:29 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
It makes no sense that Off 5th online continues to accept this "liability" while training store staff to refuse Saks cards, unless they're unaware of such a loophole.
It's poor branding, but the HBC website offers some clues:

1) Saks, Hudson's Bay and Saks OFF 5th are listed as three separate units. OFF 5th is not represented as part of Saks.
2) In 2021, Saks OFF 5TH’s ecommerce business was established as a standalone company. The online store is a separate entity which could enter into its own agreements.

The physical giftcards are not issued by Saks:, but rather by Merchandise Credit LLC. It's possible that OFF 5th does not have a contract with Merchandise Credit LLC, while the separate online entity does. (Anyone have a recently purchased physical Saks OFF 5th gift card?)

Still, there are representations on both websites that the cards are accepted both at Saks and OFF 5th. They need to clean it up.

Last edited by mia; Feb 17, 2022 at 4:35 pm
Old Feb 17, 2022, 5:43 pm

...I've ordered the item online successfully with those evil cards for in-store pickup of the very same item.
Lol, what a joke. But at least you're getting what you wanted.

Seems like what mia is saying would give some clarity as to why off 5th physical stores are no longer willing to accept gcs bought at Saks stores. At least for now you can still use them online.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Lol, what a joke. But at least you're getting what you wanted.

Seems like what mia is saying would give some clarity as to why off 5th physical stores are no longer willing to accept gcs bought at Saks stores. At least for now you can still use them online.
The order was canceled as unfillable. I've reordered for pickup in a different size, which if it doesn't fit, I'll return. Won't know until tomorrow if they actually let me take it home
friedablass likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 8:44 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
This is incorrect. I've use gift cards concurrently with shoprunner on both saks and off saks site. I don't use shoprunner checkout, but I can be signed into my shoprunner account and get the free shipping while using the regular checkout.
​​​​​​
Oh dang! Thanks for that!
Old Feb 18, 2022, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Second in-store pickup canceled also. Maybe I'll try ordering via Shop Runner (and returning at the store for an Off 5th gc)?
Old Feb 18, 2022, 10:30 am

Second in-store pickup canceled also. Maybe I'll try ordering via Shop Runner (and returning at the store for an Off 5th gc)?
Yes, that's probably your best option. Goodness, you're really having to jump through hoops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.