Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Personal Platinum (USA) Saks 5th Ave $50 credit Jan-Jun and Jul-Dec each year.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Previous thread is HERE.

$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2022, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium

Last year, I forgot until late December, charging an item for shipping that posted as early January, so lost out on the second 2020 credit - seems to something that happens to even veteran travelers
​​​​​sometimes.

Posting to ask how to access the meter (Saks, airline, etc.)?
Old Jan 1, 2022, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
So when ‘s the next Saks sale? Prez Day?
Old Jan 1, 2022, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
This reminds me to go to Saks tomorrow or Sunday and buy another gift card.
I'm making my twice a year pilgrimage tomorrow. I get wanting to max out Rakuten/shopping portal bonuses but buying a $50 GC in store is just so easy, doesn't rely on shipping issues, and can be used online to buy stuff from Off 5th. I don't get why some people make their lives so unnecessarily difficult by leaving things until Dec. 30.
HPN-HRL likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 2:25 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I'm making my twice a year pilgrimage tomorrow. I get wanting to max out Rakuten/shopping portal bonuses but buying a $50 GC in store is just so easy, doesn't rely on shipping issues, and can be used online to buy stuff from Off 5th. I don't get why some people make their lives so unnecessarily difficult by leaving things until Dec. 30.
I think for many people, there isn't a physical Saks store around them. As for leaving things until last minute, with so many "coupons" Amex offers, it's getting difficult to keep track. That's not to mention some have "credits" to use on other CC besides Amex.

LAX
bryanb likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by LAX
I think for many people, there isn't a physical Saks store around them.
LAX
This x 1000
arshi007 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by LAX
I think for many people, there isn't a physical Saks store around them. As for leaving things until last minute, with so many "coupons" Amex offers, it's getting difficult to keep track. That's not to mention some have "credits" to use on other CC besides Amex.

LAX
No saks near me so that’s why I made my $50 gift card purchase today while in Chicago Fortunately I visit Chicago and NYC a few times a year and usually go to Chicago for New Years so make it a habit to go to Michigan avenue New Year’s Day to buy my first half gift card.
MDtR-Chicago likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Time to add a new Tumi item to my collection. Luckily I’ve found Saks to have some pretty decent deals throughout the year on Tumi items. Last year picked up a small toiletry kit on sale as well as a larger hanging toiletry kit for when the family is along.

Just so had it that Saks had a very nice Tumi alpha backpack on sale for $212 today so picked that up. Not too shabby for $162 out of pocket.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
So when ‘s the next Saks sale? Prez Day?
Ha- I was burned (by Saks, not Amex) as well. Their Black Friday sale included a $75 gift card with $150 purchase, so I added a few items to my planned purchase and my total well exceeded the requirement. But one item was shipped directly from the merchant, which split up the charge into two transactions...so the purchase didn't qualify. Sigh.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 4:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
My purchase on Dec. 31st @ approx 9:00pm EST cleared and posted on the 31st. Waited til the last minute but it all worked out!
Old Jan 2, 2022, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by LAX
I think for many people, there isn't a physical Saks store around them.
534 miles for me, apparently (using PDX as a proxy for my hometown).

I could probably manage to swing by the Vegas location twice a year, but even that would really be not very convenient since we are generally in the ‘burbs away from the strip to visit friends/family. Not worth the hassle, so I just send my wife online shopping twice a year for some kitchen stuff.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:01 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by pbjag
Ha- I was burned (by Saks, not Amex) as well. Their Black Friday sale included a $75 gift card with $150 purchase, so I added a few items to my planned purchase and my total well exceeded the requirement. But one item was shipped directly from the merchant, which split up the charge into two transactions...so the purchase didn't qualify. Sigh.
That's popular at many merchants, which often disqualify the purchases from promos even if everything shipped from the same merchants. IMHO, that's borderline scam as the shopper never requested the items to be shipped separately that result in multiple smaller transactions.

LAX

PS: Sorry for going OT.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 6:41 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pbjag
It sounds like you already spoke to customer service but did you ask to speak to a supervisor? In my experience, SFA customer service is much better than average and anytime I have had a problem, it has been resolved in my favor. I mentioned before, a couple of years ago my Black Friday $75.00 promotional gift card arrived after the expiration date and SFA replaced it with a $200 gift card with no expiration date. Some of the customer service reps are not very helpful but the supervisors have always provided great assistance.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gnomie
It sounds like you already spoke to customer service but did you ask to speak to a supervisor? In my experience, SFA customer service is much better than average and anytime I have had a problem, it has been resolved in my favor. I mentioned before, a couple of years ago my Black Friday $75.00 promotional gift card arrived after the expiration date and SFA replaced it with a $200 gift card with no expiration date. Some of the customer service reps are not very helpful but the supervisors have always provided great assistance.
I did not, but maybe will give that a try. May be worth mentioning at the store, as the sales associates and manager at my local store always go out of their way.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 6:51 am

Programs: AA (Lifetime Gold, 1MM),UA(Premier Silver), Hilton(Diamond), Marriott (LTT), Hertz (PC)
Originally Posted by friedablass
Yes, still 15% now and it was even at 16% last night.

Off Saks has 20% with topcashback.com. Shame that the paypal payment doesn't work anymore.
I should have checked here first before placing the order. It looks like they closed the loophole.
I just placed an order and the paypal merchant is now saksoff5th instead. It was still working before September 2021.
At least I didn't buy any expensive item, not a big loss. It was good while lasted. One more reason to get rid of the PLT card upon renewal since there is no physical Saks store near me.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Is there a 2022 meter available yet? If so, how does one view it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.