Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2022, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Retention department:
800.452.3945 (After entering your card number you may hear a "no longer in service" type of message -- if this happens, HUCA)
-OR-

Hours: 08:00 - 23:00 Eastern Standard Time
or chat with a Membership Consulting Services Monday to Friday, 9:00AM to 5:30PM ET (7/19 - quoted 8:30 AM to 3:45 PM ET for Amex Business account)

To access chat:
Login to the Amex App, then press the chat icon at top right.
Via the web:
Select "Help" at top right
Select the blue "Live Chat" button.
  • If you product change your Amex, they will prorate the annual fee refund.
  • If you cancel your account completely, you will be refunded the annual fee if within 30 days of the print date of the statement showing the fee. After that, there's no refund.
FT thread for technical issues with chat: Amex (USA) chat function problems [Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

American Express retention offers (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2022, 1:49 am

40K Retention

I received 40k points for 3K spend. I accepted.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 7:24 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by ancarlson7
I received 40k points for 3K spend. I accepted.
For which card? Spend? First year?….
Old Jan 23, 2022, 1:04 pm

Gold personal AF posted a few days ago, had it for a few years now (got a rose gold right after the refresh) and didn't do retention on it before. Asked in chat for retention offer and got 20k for 2k spend in 3mo. Accepted.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Have had at least one amex since 2002 and have never asked for any retention offers or anything. Reached out via chat today for my personal plat renewal coming up in 2 weeks and was offered the following. The Personal Plat had around $50k spend for the last year, this will be the 3rd or 4th renewal for it and I have never had any offers in the past so I was shocked to get this one! In 20 years I also have closed ONE amex whereas I have 4 still (3 personal and 1 business).

55,000 points for $4k spend in 3 months
$550 statement credit for $4k spend in 3 months

Initially was offered points and I asked if there was a cash offer where they returned with that option. I accepted the statement credit offer

Last edited by smokey7722; Jan 26, 2022 at 12:49 pm
Old Jan 23, 2022, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
This was around 1/19/22. Called to cancel my Amex Gold Personal card.

After listening to the spiel and asking directly for a retention offer, was presented with 20,000 MR points for $2000 spend in 3 months. Accepted.

To be honest, I was planning to cancel this. Although one can easily break even with the annual fee on this card, I’ve got so many to juggle and having to remember to get two $10 credits each month eats a bunch of time.

It’s too bad Amex doesn’t have one supercard that will combine all the features of the Gold and Platinum, but I’m guessing they know what they’re doing. I’ll keep the Gold in my wallet for now, and carry the Platinum only for travel.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 10:33 am

just wanted to add a DP. took an upgrade offer to the everyday preferred from everyday last year and my AF just posted. asked about a retention offer and was offered $100 statement credit after $3k spend in 3 months. declined and downgraded to everyday card.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:16 am

First anniversary for my husband's Platinum, new annual fee should post on his next statement. Via chat, was offered 40,000 points or $400 statement credit after $3000 spend in 3 months. Took the points offer.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 12:23 pm

Business Bonvoy, mini spend, call in no offers.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Napagoer
First anniversary for my husband's Platinum, new annual fee should post on his next statement. Via chat, was offered 40,000 points or $400 statement credit after $3000 spend in 3 months. Took the points offer.
So with the retention off, you need to keep the card for 1 year. if it is an instant cash back, you still have time do cancel the card when the next AF hits. However, if it is a spend offer and if I spend 3 months qualifying for the offer, then I need to wait 15 months to cancel the card and it will pass the AF for three months. Is this correct?
Old Jan 24, 2022, 9:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by ou5603
So with the retention off, you need to keep the card for 1 year. if it is an instant cash back, you still have time do cancel the card when the next AF hits. However, if it is a spend offer and if I spend 3 months qualifying for the offer, then I need to wait 15 months to cancel the card and it will pass the AF for three months. Is this correct?
You have to keep the card open a year from accepting the retention offer. NOT from reaching the spend to earn it. So in 13 month you can ask for another retention offer and/or cancel the card without paying next years AF
gtran26 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by ecgz88
Business Bonvoy, mini spend, call in no offers.
same. i dont get it. and i do 60k+ yearly for the free night cert. but not after marriott pts become Zimbabwe points in march.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
same. i dont get it. and i do 60k+ yearly for the free night cert. but not after marriott pts become Zimbabwe points in march.
I wag going to call for mine, I'll still try but looks like my chances are pretty low. And I spent $75k for the 7500 x 10 offer last year. Obviously wouldn't consider doing that again with them devaluing the program.
SPN Lifer and GundamWing01 like this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: Avios
Amex Platinum 1st year renewal. 55k points offered for 4k spend. (Accepted) My annual spend was 25k
levilevi likes this.

Last edited by Tilto007; Jan 25, 2022 at 8:01 am Reason: grammar
Old Jan 25, 2022, 10:11 am

Long time retention whore, but first time using the chat. Worked great and best part is I didn't have to listen to the long speech about all the great benefits I'm getting from the card. Highly recommended!

My offer - for my Amex gold (moderate spend of around $200/month and held for many years and no offer last year): 30k points for $3000 spend within 3 months. Accepted it.
SPN Lifer and levilevi like this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 11:22 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Datapoint: Just finished a phone call with AmEx Retention Dept, regarding 9 month old Biz Plat. Offered $695 statement credit, no points offer. Agent said that since the beginning of the year AmEx was being very generous with offers of entire annual fee credit and had eliminated points offers. (Please don’t kill the messenger, I’m just writing what I was told.)

Considering all the recent reports above of points offers I suspect that I was given false information.

Originally Posted by FormallyKnownAs
Long time retention whore, but first time using the chat. Worked great and best part is I didn't have to listen to the long speech about all the great benefits I'm getting from the card. Highly recommended!
Thanks for the recommendation, guess this luddite retention monger will have to throw in the towel and give it a try.
SPN Lifer, gtran26 and levilevi like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.