Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2022, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Retention department:
800.452.3945 (After entering your card number you may hear a "no longer in service" type of message -- if this happens, HUCA)
-OR-

Hours: 08:00 - 23:00 Eastern Standard Time
or chat with a Membership Consulting Services Monday to Friday, 9:00AM to 5:30PM ET (7/19 - quoted 8:30 AM to 3:45 PM ET for Amex Business account)

To access chat:
Login to the Amex App, then press the chat icon at top right.
Via the web:
Select "Help" at top right
Select the blue "Live Chat" button.
  • If you product change your Amex, they will prorate the annual fee refund.
  • If you cancel your account completely, you will be refunded the annual fee if within 30 days of the print date of the statement showing the fee. After that, there's no refund.
FT thread for technical issues with chat: Amex (USA) chat function problems [Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

American Express retention offers (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Upgraded Gold to Plat in September under old fee.
Renewal is up on new fee ($695).

Got choice of 55k MR or $550 statement credit for $4k spend in 3 months. Took the points.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 10:24 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by mia
Normally American Express will not make two retention offers for the same card in 13 months. You need to lookup when last year's bonus posted, and when your renewal fee will post.
Three questions:

1. So the 13 month clock is counted from the date the retention bonus posted, NOT from the date you accepted the offer?
2. How exactly is the 13 months calculated? For example, is it 13 X 30 = 390 days? Or is it just calendar months, i.e. last years offer was on Nov 29th 2020, so I become eligible again on Dec 1st 2021?
3. How does amex treat retention offers that were accepted but the customer didn't hit the spend threshold. More specifically, I made a poor choice and accepted a weak retention offer...I haven't hit the necessary spend to trigger the points yet, so I am considering just leaving that card in the sock drawer and cancelling it ~6 months after I accepted the offer because I need the amex slot. But if Amex is gonna punish me either way, then I might as well earn the retention offer.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 10:52 am

Useful retention chat today. 40/$3K on Schwab (no retention offer last year) and 30/$3K on Gold (30/$3K in November 2020).
Old Jan 15, 2022, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Hilton Diamond | Marriott Platinum
DP: 15 January 2022 called (800) 452-3945 waited about 30 minutes on hold.
Said I was frustrated about the $695 annual fee and that I don't see myself using most of the benefits.
Offered and accepted $550 statement credit for $4000 or more in qualifying purchases within three months of accepting the offer.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Hilton Diamond | Marriott Platinum
I want to confirm that after our conversation today you are keeping your Platinum Card account open. You can earn 55,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 or more in eligible purchases on your Card within 3 months of accepting this offer, starting today. The 55,000 Membership Rewards® points will be credited to your account 8 to 12 weeks after the purchase requirement has been met. Your account must not be past due or cancelled at the time of fulfillment of any offers. Purchases may fall outside of the 3 month period in some cases, such as a delay in merchants submitting transactions to us or if the purchase date differs from the date you made the transaction. If this happens these purchases will not be counted toward your eligibility for this offer. Eligible purchases are purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, purchases of gift cards, person-to-person payments, or purchases of other cash equivalents Terms and Conditions for the Membership Rewards® program apply. Visit http://membershiprewards.com/terms for more information. Participating partners and available rewards are subject to change without notice. The value of Membership Rewards points varies according to how you choose to use them. To learn more, go to http://www.membershiprewards.com/pointsinfo. Membership Rewards® partners will receive certain information about you in order to provide the benefits of your Membership Rewards account. If American Express determines that you have engaged or intend to engage in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the loyalty offer, including if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it or if you return purchases you made to meet the threshold amount, we reserve the right to withhold, freeze, or revoke Membership Rewards Points from your Membership Rewards account and cancel any accounts you have with us.

Do I have your approval to process your request to keep your Card account open?
gtran26 and tonywush like this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 4:35 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by youyouxue
DP: 15 January 2022 called (800) 452-3945 waited about 30 minutes on hold.
Said I was frustrated about the $695 annual fee and that I don't see myself using most of the benefits.
Offered and accepted $550 statement credit for $4000 or more in qualifying purchases within three months of accepting the offer.
Which card? Personal or BizPlat?
Old Jan 15, 2022, 5:39 pm

1/15 DP: Personal platinum retention - $400 statement credit for $3k spend in 3 months. Accepted!
Old Jan 16, 2022, 8:42 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
No retention offer today via chat on my Hilton Business Card-- this seems to be in line with a few other recent data points for this card.

(Have had card for about two years now; approx $15k spend in both 2020 and 2021; first time asking for retention offer.)
Old Jan 16, 2022, 7:48 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Same exact offer a few minutes ago which I accepted. No wait time at all on the call. Whole process done in 10 minutes

$550 statement credit after $4000 spend in three months
Old Jan 17, 2022, 8:34 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Similar offer on my (vanilla) Personal Platinum as many other reports here- 40,000 MR points after $3,000 in spend. (I actually declined as I opened up a MS Plat a few months ago and legitimately wanted to downgrade this account.)
Old Jan 17, 2022, 12:32 pm

Business Platinum
I accepted a retention offer last year and this year, was only offered $100 statement credit through chat.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Took upgrades from everyday to everyday preferred last spring, annual fee hit now.

Player 1 10k MR for $2,500 spend in 3 months.
Player 2 15k MR for $3k spend in 3 months.

As I am working another minimum spend, delayed decision until first week in February before annual fee is due.
In any case, will downgrade back to everyday a year after upgrade to get prorated annual fee refund.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 3:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by beachfan
Took upgrades from everyday to everyday preferred last spring, annual fee hit now.

Player 1 10k MR for $2,500 spend in 3 months.
Player 2 15k MR for $3k spend in 3 months.

As I am working another minimum spend, delayed decision until first week in February before annual fee is due.
In any case, will downgrade back to everyday a year after upgrade to get prorated annual fee refund.
In any case you will downgrade - if you accept the retention offer I wouldn’t do it this spring as otherwise you break the terms of the retention offer
Old Jan 17, 2022, 11:48 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Platinum card. Renewed at old $550 fee. Given 55k pts for 4k spend offer via chat, accepted. I should have checked earlier as I just booked a $3400 flight, but whatever, will pay rent with plastiq if it comes down to that.
gtran26 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 6:17 am

Personal platinum, spoke to a rep via chat:
  • 40k MR points or $400 statement credit for $3k spend in 3 months. Declined.
  • Original offer was for a $400 statement credit and they didn't mention points. I then asked if there was a points option, as "I think points could be more useful to me," at which point they gave me the option between the two.
Was always planning on cancelling but figured I'd get the DP before following through!

I also asked them to confirm that they would not clawback my sign-up bonus (when you cancel, they show scary cancellation terms that flex their right to do so). They said my points are safe, because 1) it has been more than a year since I signed up 2) I am still a member through my Gold card.

Last edited by ricosalvy; Jan 18, 2022 at 6:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.