Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day
before making a reimbursable purchase. It can take a few days or a full week to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There'sa separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank. Travel Bank is available again Jan. 3, 2022 and posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially). May appear as United Electronic Ticketing or United Airlines Houston. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card. DO NOT CALL Amex to ask about being credited for this.

On December 31, 2021 United suspended Travel Bank deposit transactions and posted a message "Offer has ended."

United does not sell gift cards.

As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2021 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2021, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: hilton diamond SPG/Marriott platinum UA silver AA platinum

Is this dead ? Seeing the offer has ended message.
PatMike likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: hilton diamond SPG/Marriott platinum UA silver AA platinum
Originally Posted by r6vo
After deleting history now getting stuck in "Verifying your offer" screen. Hopefully nothing serious
Old Dec 31, 2021, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by r6vo
I have seen the same error when on VPN.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 4:59 am

Getting the "This offer has ended" message as well. Also getting stuck on the "Verifying your offer" message after switching browsers.

Found this on the United website: As we keep evolving the digital experience for our travelers, we’ve decided to discontinue the united.com gift registry program. Although you’ll no longer be able to create a new registry or add to your existing one, you can still book travel using the TravelBank balance linked to your current registry until your balance expires.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 5:16 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
That is the same language that UA displayed when they previously suspended Travel Bank contributions. It's possible that their system is undergoing maintenance.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by mia
That is the same language that UA displayed when they previously suspended Travel Bank contributions. It's possible that their system is undergoing maintenance.
How long did the maintenance last last time?
Old Dec 31, 2021, 5:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
I also see the offer has ended message. Specifically:This offer has ended

This special offer is no longer available.

In chrome and chrome incognito I got the offer ended message. In firefox I was able to login and get stuck on the Verifying your offer screen. Hopefully it's just maintenance.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 6:38 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by aquanine
I also see the offer has ended message. Specifically:This offer has ended

This special offer is no longer available.

In chrome and chrome incognito I got the offer ended message. In firefox I was able to login and get stuck on the Verifying your offer screen. Hopefully it's just maintenance.
Same here on iPhone Safari Browser. 1st try offer ended - refresh and I could log in but stuck on verifying your offer
Old Dec 31, 2021, 7:28 am

Was able to make a TB purchase last night at around 10pm ET, fwiw.

hope it stays alive in 2022.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 8:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
As mia alluded to, perhaps this is just routine maintenance. However, it seems that, in the past, when other airline credit "loop holes" were closed (e.g. AA gift cards) it often occurred right at the beginning of a new year. I must say if the ability to purchase UA Travel Bank credits with the airline credit goes away, and given the Amex Platinum cards new annual fee of $695, it will be increasingly difficult for me to justify keeping said card...

Regards
Old Dec 31, 2021, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by fly_bear
Getting the "This offer has ended" message as well. Also getting stuck on the "Verifying your offer" message after switching browsers.

Found this on the United website: As we keep evolving the digital experience for our travelers, we’ve decided to discontinue the united.com gift registry program. Although you’ll no longer be able to create a new registry or add to your existing one, you can still book travel using the TravelBank balance linked to your current registry until your balance expires.
That wording about the registry has been on the United site since at least 2019.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 10:47 am

Programs: Starwood Gold née Platinum; AA Plat.
Has any work around been figured out for this? As of now, I can't access the Travel Bank/the message says the offer has expired. Thanks.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
As mia alluded to, perhaps this is just routine maintenance. However, it seems that, in the past, when other airline credit "loop holes" were closed (e.g. AA gift cards) it often occurred right at the beginning of a new year.
There's often been a small window at the beginning of the year before changes happen. AA gift cards stopped work around Feb 8, 2019. Earlier this year, TravelBank stopped working around Jan 14. The only time I can recall something stopping on Jan 1 was <$100 AS tickets in 2020. However, I think they were already a hit or miss on reimbursement starting in mid-2019.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 11:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by brc01
There's often been a small window at the beginning of the year before changes happen. AA gift cards stopped work around Feb 8, 2019. Earlier this year, TravelBank stopped working around Jan 14. The only time I can recall something stopping on Jan 1 was <$100 AS tickets in 2020. However, I think they were already a hit or miss on reimbursement starting in mid-2019.
Sure, agreed. I mean when I said, "beginning of the year" I didn't literally mean 12:01 AM, Jan 1st, but rather in January. Again, not saying this will stop working, but certainly UA has suspended Travel Bank in the past, so it would not be without precedence were it to occur.

Regards
Old Dec 31, 2021, 11:32 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by brc01
Earlier this year, TravelBank stopped working around Jan 14.
The difference is that when TB stopped working at that time for a few weeks you were able to buy but the purchases weren't getting reimbursed. Now you can't even buy anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.