Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Related discussion here: Report clawbacks of the FHR/THC $200 credit.

Terms and FAQ

Which charges are eligible?
  • Reservation must be pre-paid to be reimbursed.
  • Pre-paids with a flexible cancellation policy are still eligible.
  • Hotel rates under $200 are also reimbursed.
  • If using Pay With Points, the cash portion of your charge is still eligible.
  • Charges made at the hotel are not billed by Amex Travel and are not eligible.
  • When checking in, the terms require payment with an Amex which need not be a platinum Amex.
  • Browse Hotels here
When:​​​​​​
  • Benefit renews every January 1st.
  • The $200 credit is based on the year you made the booking, not the year of the stay. You can use it this year to book a room for next year.
  • Amex in general handles offers by the transaction date, not post date. For example, a 12/31/22 transaction date is eligible for 2022 credits even if posted in 2023.
Changes and Cancellations:
  • If you cancel a reservation, the $200 credit is reversed. The credit will be available to use again if you cancelled in the same year you paid.
  • In general you can't modify reservation dates and need to cancel and rebook to change dates.
  • "If you need to change your hotel booking, you must either cancel and rebook your reservation or call us for assistance."
  • If you use the benefit for a future stay and cancel that Amex platinum card prior to your stay, Amex is not known to claw back the $200. You will still need to check-in with some other Amex.
Other:
  • The $200 credit sometimes posts in a few days, but sometimes 3 weeks or longer.
  • To know your remaining $200 balance, ask Amex. There's no meter on the website. There is now a meter on the website which shows your usage against $200
  • If your platinum account has additional cardholders with a gold card, charges on the gold card are eligible. Not clear if they enforce the requirement that the platinum cardholder must be on the reservation.
  • Terms of the FH&R $100 credit.
  • Separate thread regarding elite benefits on stays.
Print Wikipost

Amex $200 Hotel Credit (FHR or THC)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2021, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign
Does anyone know if this credit covers taxes and resort fee? For example, if the ADR is $150, tax $20, and scam resort fee $30, would I get $150 credit or $200?
When you pay for the hotel, you'll get a breakdown how much needs to be prepaid, and the amount due at the hotel. Only the portion prepaid to Amex Travel gets reimbursed.
Speaking of expected reimbursement, I made a booking a week ago and still have no credit. Should I be worried yet? What's the longest people experienced before they received credit?
Old Sep 4, 2021, 12:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I have two platinum cards in my name (primary on both).
I figure that I can get the $200 credit on each card for a back to back two night stay as long as I prepay each night separately on the respective card.

I also figure that it's probably a bit much to expect the $100 food/beverage credit twice on a back to back. Any comments on that?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 4, 2021, 12:32 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by beachfan
I have two platinum cards in my name (primary on both).
I figure that I can get the $200 credit on each card for a back to back two night stay as long as I prepay each night separately on the respective card.

I also figure that it's probably a bit much to expect the $100 food/beverage credit twice on a back to back. Any comments on that?

Thanks in advance!
Below is a copy & paste of the T&C. I bolded the parts that probably answer your question.

LAX

Fine Hotels + Resorts®
Fine Hotels + Resorts® program benefits are available for new bookings made through American Express Travel with participating properties and are valid only for eligible U.S. Consumer, Business, and Corporate Platinum Card® Members and Centurion® Members (Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Card Members are not eligible). Bookings must be made using an eligible Card and must be paid using that Card, or another American Express® Card, in the eligible Card Member's name, and that Card Member must be traveling on the itinerary booked. The average total value of the program benefits is based on prior-year bookings for stays of two nights; the actual value varies. Noon check-in and room upgrade are subject to availability and are provided at check-in; certain room categories are not eligible for upgrade. The type of experience credit and daily breakfast (for two) varies by property; the experience credit will be applied to eligible charges up to the amount of the experience credit. Advance reservations are recommended for certain experience credits. If the cost of Wi-Fi is included in a mandatory property fee, a daily credit of that amount will be applied at check-out. Benefits are applied per room, per stay (with a three-room limit per stay); back-to-back stays within a 24-hour period at the same property are considered one stay. Benefit restrictions vary by property. Benefits cannot be redeemed for cash and are not combinable with other offers unless indicated. Benefits must be used during the stay booked. Any credits applicable are applied at check-out in USD or the local currency equivalent. Benefits, participating properties, and availability and amenities at those properties are subject to change.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by LAX
...Benefits are applied per room, per stay (with a three-room limit per stay); back-to-back stays within a 24-hour period at the same property are considered one stay.
Good catch, thanks!
Old Sep 5, 2021, 2:29 pm
LAX

Has anyone tried changing the date of a prepaid FHR reservation? Does it still require cancelling the original reservation and making a new one? I am debating whether I should use this year's hotel credit on a reservation for next year. Since I can't predict the future (no one can), I am not 100% sure I won't need to make changes. If I can preserve the credit by changing the date of reservation, I would be more willing to attempt this.

LAX
Old Sep 5, 2021, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by LAX
Has anyone tried changing the date of a prepaid FHR reservation? Does it still require cancelling the original reservation and making a new one?...
I think this rebate requires tracking -- similar to how shopping portals work. If your reservation allows cancellation, it's best to repeat the original process.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 4:02 pm

i was trying to find a hotel in nyc, for sort of a 1 night staycation in my own city, but everything runs 500 or 600 dollars plus...has anyone experienced this?
Old Sep 5, 2021, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by michael1023
i was trying to find a hotel in nyc, for sort of a 1 night staycation in my own city, but everything runs 500 or 600 dollars plus...has anyone experienced this?
NYC FHR? Yeah, that is normal. Maybe you can get $350 off-season.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 6:57 pm
LAX

If you don't mind driving or taking Amtrak down to DC, I saw rates as low as $299 for a random Saturday night in July of next year.

LAX
Old Sep 6, 2021, 12:56 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Pretty typical; I paid $289 plus tax/fees for a non FHR property in Flatiron. So maybe adopt a mindset of "free upgrade to FHR property"?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by LAX
If you don't mind driving or taking Amtrak down to DC, I saw rates as low as $299 for a random Saturday night in July of next year.

LAX
hmm, i guess i was trying to use the credit before the end of the year, since i assume its every year we get the hotel credit
Old Sep 7, 2021, 6:37 am

Here are some data points with my experience.

On 7/20 I booked a room for $360. I paid with a combination of points and cash. $200 in cash, 16,000 points. The points were credited -$160 on my account on the same day.
On 7/22 I received the -$200 Hotel credit.
On 8/17 the price of the room dropped. I rebooked for $272 using $200 in cash and 7200 in points. The points were credited -72.00 on the same day.
On 8/18 I canceled the first reservation and received a credit for -$360.
There were no further transactions (credits or debits) pertaining to the $200 credit

The room has dropped in price yet again but I have not rebooked and am currently deciding whether I want to.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 8:20 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Pretty straightforward Amex FHR booking and stay triggering both last year’s $200 travel credit and this year’s $200 hotel credit

Old Sep 7, 2021, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Pretty straightforward Amex FHR booking and stay triggering both last year’s $200 travel credit and this year’s $200 hotel credit

the travel credits roll over?
Old Sep 7, 2021, 6:58 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
the travel credits roll over?
No - two different credits - Amex gave a $200 “travel credit” (eligible for any travel booked on Amextravel) to some Plat cardholders last year, with an expiration date of 12/31/2021. They introduced a new $200 hotel credit with the revamp in July. So some people had a total of $400 in credits as of July.
SPN Lifer and Gasolin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.