Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Related discussion here: Report clawbacks of the FHR/THC $200 credit.

Terms and FAQ

Which charges are eligible?
  • Reservation must be pre-paid to be reimbursed.
  • Pre-paids with a flexible cancellation policy are still eligible.
  • Hotel rates under $200 are also reimbursed.
  • If using Pay With Points, the cash portion of your charge is still eligible.
  • Charges made at the hotel are not billed by Amex Travel and are not eligible.
  • When checking in, the terms require payment with an Amex which need not be a platinum Amex.
  • Browse Hotels here
When:​​​​​​
  • Benefit renews every January 1st.
  • The $200 credit is based on the year you made the booking, not the year of the stay. You can use it this year to book a room for next year.
  • Amex in general handles offers by the transaction date, not post date. For example, a 12/31/22 transaction date is eligible for 2022 credits even if posted in 2023.
Changes and Cancellations:
  • If you cancel a reservation, the $200 credit is reversed. The credit will be available to use again if you cancelled in the same year you paid.
  • In general you can't modify reservation dates and need to cancel and rebook to change dates.
  • "If you need to change your hotel booking, you must either cancel and rebook your reservation or call us for assistance."
  • If you use the benefit for a future stay and cancel that Amex platinum card prior to your stay, Amex is not known to claw back the $200. You will still need to check-in with some other Amex.
Other:
  • The $200 credit sometimes posts in a few days, but sometimes 3 weeks or longer.
  • To know your remaining $200 balance, ask Amex. There's no meter on the website. There is now a meter on the website which shows your usage against $200
  • If your platinum account has additional cardholders with a gold card, charges on the gold card are eligible. Not clear if they enforce the requirement that the platinum cardholder must be on the reservation.
  • Terms of the FH&R $100 credit.
  • Separate thread regarding elite benefits on stays.
Print Wikipost

Amex $200 Hotel Credit (FHR or THC)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2021, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Doppy
If it's a platinum authorized user, they have the same benefits as the primary anyway.
I guess the issue is that since this is a credit, we won't know if Amex applies it to a booking made under the authorized user name until after the stay. Seems like a tricky way to charge people for prepaid bookings and then say it wasn't eligible later.
MaxVO likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 5:42 pm

Can you book THC hotels for 1 night? Like forgo any THC related perks dependent on a two night stay, but trip the $200 platinum credit?
Old Oct 2, 2021, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mster
Can you book THC hotels for 1 night? Like forgo any THC related perks dependent on a two night stay, but trip the $200 platinum credit?
Two night THC minimum to receive the $200 credit.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dpb132
Two night THC minimum to receive the $200 credit.
Does the rate have to be more than $200?
Old Oct 3, 2021, 9:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
From AMEX
"U.S.Consumer Basic and Additional Platinum Card® Members may receive up to a total of $200 in statement credits each calendar year, across all Cards on the Account, when using their eligible Platinum Card on eligible, prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® and The Hotel Collection bookings made through American Express Travel (meaning through amextravel.com, the Amex® App, or by calling the phone number on the back of your eligible Platinum Card)."

Sounds like it can include more than one transaction.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
From AMEX
"U.S.Consumer Basic and Additional Platinum Card® Members may receive up to a total of $200 in statement credits each calendar year, across all Cards on the Account, when using their eligible Platinum Card on eligible, prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® and The Hotel Collection bookings made through American Express Travel (meaning through amextravel.com, the Amex® App, or by calling the phone number on the back of your eligible Platinum Card)."

Sounds like it can include more than one transaction.
I don't read it that way. They are purposefully ambiguous by using the word "eligible." It should tell you in booking if it is "eligible" for the credit to be useful benefit, but it doesn't. That is probably by design.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 2:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I don't read it that way. They are purposefully ambiguous by using the word "eligible." It should tell you in booking if it is "eligible" for the credit to be useful benefit, but it doesn't. That is probably by design.
It says close to the same thing for airline credit too. Since it says "statement credits" and not statement credit, that sounds like more than one credit up to $200.

You can just call and find out, or whatever the rep thinks it is, unfortunately.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 3:09 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
I imagine rate plus tax totaling more than $200 would work. Are you able to find FHR rates less than $200 per night?

LAX
Old Oct 3, 2021, 4:38 pm

Which card is this on?
Old Oct 3, 2021, 6:52 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by qofmiwok
Which card is this on?
Plat.

LAX
Old Oct 3, 2021, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can confirm that FHR/THC prepaid charges less than $200 qualify and are automatically credited.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 3:31 am
dzt

Originally Posted by mia
The terms seem clear that only the primary and supplementary Platinum cards are eligible:

To me it sounds like "additional platinum cards" are diff versions of consumer platinum and "across all cards" under the platinum.

Last edited by dzt; Oct 7, 2021 at 3:38 am
Old Oct 7, 2021, 3:32 am
dzt

Originally Posted by mia
The terms seem clear that only the primary and supplementary Platinum cards are eligible:
To me it sounds like "additional platinum cards" are diff versions of consumer platinum and "across all accounts" under the platinum. What could the all "accounts" refer to?
Old Oct 7, 2021, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dzt
To me it sounds like "additional platinum cards" are diff versions of consumer platinum and "across all accounts" under the platinum. What could the all "accounts" refer to?
It just means that regardless of how many additional cards (read: authorized users) you have, the card account itself can only get $200 in credits, it doesn't matter who spends it.

Has anybody noticed a difference in speed of how Hotel Collection vs. FHR bookings are credited? I made a THC prepaid reservation with my MS Plat around Sept. 26 and the $200 was credited back within 3 days or so. I made an FHR booking on my Schwab Platinum card on Sept. 30 that hasn't been credited yet.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
... I made an FHR booking on my Schwab Platinum card on Sept. 30 that hasn't been credited yet.
My FHR booking didn't credit for over a month. Then I chatted with an AmEx agent. He took a few minutes to check my booking, then stated that I met all the requirements, and that he'd issue a manual credit. It posted a week after that chat (backdated 3 days).
I noted that the hotel folks always referred to that booking as "prepaid", and never mentioned FHR or any extra benefits. I was fine with regular Diamond benefits, so had no incentive to investigate further .
krazykanuck and akr1970akr like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.