Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion Lounge ATL (opened 14 February 2024)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2024, 2:37 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by lowfareair
There'll be more usage than you think. For example, it's in the mid 60s in ATL today and tomorrow, so there are days people wouldn't mind being outside in the winter, especially if they are from a colder region where 65 in February is a welcome relief. Similarly, even July and August can have cooler days, but more commonly, cool mornings when it's in the 60s or low 70s and ceiling fans to help circulate some air.
I don't doubt this type of usage at all, especially in the mornings. But I highly doubt July and August since that's typically 85F even at 2am on the really bad days. If they designed the space accordingly, it won't get wasted too much, but when so many places in the southeast specifically don't have outdoor seating/play areas/etc because of the heat, I can't believe they did this in the first place. It's akin to putting an outdoor CA-style 'walking mall' in Minnesota.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 2:52 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I'm at the lounge next week in the afternoon - I plan on checking out the outdoor space, should be mild. Also, plenty of people travel in shorts / t-shirts and such in the summer, and won't mind a stint outside. I don't doubt the outdoor terrace will get a lot of use.
SPN Lifer, chrisny2 and SamirD like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 6:44 pm

Found this Youtube video, lounge looks crowded already haha. Food starts at 08:55.

Old Feb 15, 2024, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SamirD
lol--try it and see. No one that lives in the southeast US lives without AC.
Try it? I lived in southern Louisiana and Mississippi for over 45 years. I much prefer an old-style home cooled by ceiling fans and natural breezes over a refrigerated box. YMMV.
SPN Lifer, SamirD and hhdl like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by kale73
Try it? I lived in southern Louisiana and Mississippi for over 45 years. I much prefer an old-style home cooled by ceiling fans and natural breezes over a refrigerated box. YMMV.
I could see that in the past, but with climate change, have you not had more brutal summers? I saw outdoor activities shift from July to October in the last 10 years because July was just causing too many issues of heat exhaustion/heatstroke.

Perhaps there is more cooling in the outdoor areas than just ceiling fans--no one ever said you can't pump cold air to a patio--it's just usually not done. Would be interesting to know what it's like out on the patio in the peak of summer.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 7:50 am

Programs: DL DM 1.7+MM, Marriott LT Plat
I could see that in the past, but with climate change, have you not had more brutal summers? I saw outdoor activities shift from July to October in the last 10 years because July was just causing too many issues of heat exhaustion/heatstroke.

Perhaps there is more cooling in the outdoor areas than just ceiling fans--no one ever said you can't pump cold air to a patio--it's just usually not done. Would be interesting to know what it's like out on the patio in the peak of summer.
IMO, the intensity isn't much worse than a decade or so ago, but the summer does seem to last longer into late September/early October, as you alluded.
SPN Lifer and SamirD like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 8:39 am
Original Poster

I don't doubt this type of usage at all, especially in the mornings. But I highly doubt July and August since that's typically 85F even at 2am on the really bad days. If they designed the space accordingly, it won't get wasted too much, but when so many places in the southeast specifically don't have outdoor seating/play areas/etc because of the heat, I can't believe they did this in the first place. It's akin to putting an outdoor CA-style 'walking mall' in Minnesota.
Saying that a few days a year it is 85F at 2a isn't really helpful as most of the time it will be fine. If people don't like it, they won't go out there. If it's a hot/cold day and the lounge is crowded, some people will deal with the weather for fewer people.

Not sure why you are so hung up about a feature that seems like a nice amenity and gets quite a lot of use at the SkyClub one concourse over.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by lowfareair
Saying that a few days a year it is 85F at 2a isn't really helpful as most of the time it will be fine. If people don't like it, they won't go out there. If it's a hot/cold day and the lounge is crowded, some people will deal with the weather for fewer people.

Not sure why you are so hung up about a feature that seems like a nice amenity and gets quite a lot of use at the SkyClub one concourse over.
The reason I bring up 85F at 2am is because that's the coolest part of the day in the peak of the heat--it's 90F by 8am. You're right if people don't like it, they won't go--but it's utterly mind boggling that they spent money on this knowing the facts.

And that's the crux of my point--why did they bother with this space for some marketing fluff piece vs just having more 100% usable interior space? There's a Skydeck at SFO specifically for lounging outside, and no one uses it even with much better regular weather. The audacity that companies have for spending money on 'fluff' and then crying about profitability and raising prices or not providing core competency is my beef, and this new lounge is a perfect example of that.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The reason I bring up 85F at 2am is because that's the coolest part of the day in the peak of the heat--it's 90F by 8am. You're right if people don't like it, they won't go--but it's utterly mind boggling that they spent money on this knowing the facts.

And that's the crux of my point--why did they bother with this space for some marketing fluff piece vs just having more 100% usable interior space? There's a Skydeck at SFO specifically for lounging outside, and no one uses it even with much better regular weather. The audacity that companies have for spending money on 'fluff' and then crying about profitability and raising prices or not providing core competency is my beef, and this new lounge is a perfect example of that.
Funny, when I arrived at SFO last night (11pm) I commented about how warm it was, just having left Boston. I know plenty of people who like that disgusting hot and humid weather, the kind that makes my skin crawl with prickly heat. I can see myself going out there once, having my glasses fog up immediately, and then crashing back into the door when I can't see my way back in.
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 11:09 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
In the few videos and reviews that are posted so far, the outdoor space seems to be popular. I hope to be able to spend the majority of my time there next Thursday.

The weather gets hot and humid in NYC in the summer as well, and the outdoor deck there is popular (when it is actually open, which it is inconsistently).
Old Feb 17, 2024, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Funny, when I arrived at SFO last night (11pm) I commented about how warm it was, just having left Boston. I know plenty of people who like that disgusting hot and humid weather, the kind that makes my skin crawl with prickly heat. I can see myself going out there once, having my glasses fog up immediately, and then crashing back into the door when I can't see my way back in.
It's called Singapore.

Originally Posted by Adelphos
In the few videos and reviews that are posted so far, the outdoor space seems to be popular. I hope to be able to spend the majority of my time there next Thursday.

The weather gets hot and humid in NYC in the summer as well, and the outdoor deck there is popular (when it is actually open, which it is inconsistently).
​​​​​​​From memory, this is more of a problem in late summer than early summer.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I can see myself going out there once, having my glasses fog up immediately, and then crashing back into the door when I can't see my way back in.
LOL!! I know this all too well as it's a regular experience if you have glasses and deal with these temps.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
It's called Singapore.
lol, it's called SE Asia, South America and the Gulf Coast states.

What gets me is that weather everywhere is getting more hot and humid in the summers (like Chicago used to be really nice, but now it's pretty hot), and yet an outdoor patio that will likely be there for at least 5yrs as the temps keep rising was a good idea? You know what was a good idea--not raising the annual fee on the Plat card, lol.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 1:16 pm

I'll have a 90-min stopover in ATL on a Sunday morning in March and was wondering why the wine and cocktail menus only list hours for Mon-Sat:
https://thepointsguy.global.ssl.fastly.net/us/originals/2024/02/American-Express-Centurion-Lounge-Atlanta-2.jpg
https://thepointsguy.global.ssl.fastly.net/us/originals/2024/02/American-Express-Centurion-Lounge-Atlanta-3.jpg
The whisky menu has no times:
https://thepointsguy.global.ssl.fastly.net/us/originals/2024/02/American-Express-Centurion-Lounge-Atlanta-1.jpg
Any idea why? Just an oversight perhaps?
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by mia; Feb 19, 2024 at 1:40 pm Reason: Adjust links.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 1:37 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Originally Posted by omxfl
.... why the wine and cocktail menus only list hours for Mon-Sat:
If we look directly at the Centurion website we see these hours:

Limited Alcohol Offerings Mon-Sat: 09:00 am - 10:30 am
Cocktails & Full Bar Mon-Sat: 10:30am - 10:30pm, Sun: 11:00am – 10:30pm
This means there is no alcohol before 11:00 on Sundays.

This article confirms that Atlanta now allows alcohol sales starting at 11:00am on Sundays, previously it was 12:30pm

Last edited by mia; Feb 20, 2024 at 6:41 am Reason: Ad link to local ordinance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.