Centurion Lounge ATL (opened 14 February 2024)

Old Jun 17, 2021, 8:30 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm wondering about the motivation to build a Centurion lounge in places where most of the users would be equally able to use a DL SC with their AmEx card..
Between Collinson, Plaza Premium and now other banks (Chase, CapitalOne), I didn't realize how relatively competitive RFPs for airport lounge spaces has become. It's possible that Amex is just submitting a RFP any time the opportunity arises at airports their card members frequent.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 8:38 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, AA Platinum, United Silver
Originally Posted by dw
Between Collinson, Plaza Premium and now other banks (Chase, CapitalOne), I didn't realize how relatively competitive RFPs for airport lounge spaces has become. It's possible that Amex is just submitting a RFP any time the opportunity arises at airports their card members frequent.
I wouldnt be surprised - I am guessing that sometimes it is a matter of opportunity.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
I always wondered why one of the largest airports didn't have one. Godspeed for those trying to get in.
lsquare, cmd320 and SamirD like this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by dw
Airport space probably doesn't come easily. So if there is an opportunity, I think these companies want to make a bid. It's not like the banks are short on cash at the moment.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm wondering about the motivation to build a Centurion lounge in places where most of the users would be equally able to use a DL SC with their AmEx card. Has AmEx decided that it's cheaper to operate their own airport lounge than pay DL lounge access fees? If the Centurion lounge is equally convenient but better, this would incentivize AmEx customers to pick the Centurion lounge.

Previously, it seemed like the Centurion lounge location strategy was to place them in major airports to cover AmEx customers who wouldn't otherwise be eligible to enter an airport lounge based on their AmEx relationship.
You would never see me visit any other lounge at SFO except for the Centurion Lounge. I wouldn't even go to the UC despite having *G. The quality of the food is exactly why I prefer the Centurion Lounge.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 3:22 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by esc2476
I asked at the front desk and the wait is 8,760 hours. How long is your layover?
Well I did have a 3,984 hour layover back in 2020. Too bad most lounges were closed then because gosh I could have used a drink.
dw, lsquare, cmd320 and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 4:40 pm

The growing number of Centurion lounges is the main reason why Im planning to keep my Platinum Card long term despite the speculated increase in the annual fee. Access was previously available for $50 a visit, but that ended. Theres currently no other way to access these lounges if you dont have a Centurion, Platinum, or Delta Reserve card.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steve4
The growing number of Centurion lounges is the main reason why Im planning to keep my Platinum Card long term despite the speculated increase in the annual fee. Access was previously available for $50 a visit, but that ended. Theres currently no other way to access these lounges if you dont have a Centurion, Platinum, or Delta Reserve card.
I visited the Centurion Lounge enough that I can justify paying the AF. I mainly use my Platinum as a benefit card. Pre-COVID, I was averaging roughly two visits per month. Considering the quality of the food, I think that was good value for the money.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AMEX will open the worlds largest Centurion Lounge in Atlanta

https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...ounge-atlanta/

American Express has confirmed that the worlds largest Centurion Lounge is coming to the nations busiest airport.

The issuer is building a roughly 26,000-square-foot club at the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL), an Amex spokesperson told TPG. The lounge will open next year and will be the first in the network to feature multiple outdoor spaces.
Very exciting news!!!
chrisny2, SamirD, m907 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, AMEX, National, Avis
A few more details from the local paper

Location appears to be concourse E and opening in 2023

https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-air...outputType=amp
lsquare and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 4:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, AA Platinum, United Silver
Originally Posted by xjoedx

Because it sounds like they are building a completely new building on top of the terminal, I would guess it will take until 2024. I hope they do not use the construction crew from LAX or else we are looking at 2030.
lsquare and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by xjoedx

Terminal E is good location, since only one DL Sky Club in that terminal and it gets crowded.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Barkley333
Terminal E is good location, since only one DL Sky Club in that terminal and it gets crowded.
And will be convenient for non-sky team international flights. Right now the Club in Terminal F is a partner lounge for a lot of airlines premium customers at ATL and Ive seen it so crowded during peak flight times they will turn away priority pass holders. The Am Ex lounge will be nice for people who are on another airline and a lot of people have their priority pass through Chase so that will hopefully free up congestion at the club for them
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 9:33 am

https://whatnowatlanta.com/plans-off...-mm-price-tag/

Someone managed to get their mitts on the construction permit for this and interestingly it seems that the space may be larger than initially reported. The permit lists the space as being 29k+ sq. ft. (rather than the reported 26k sq. ft.). Even more fun, the permit lists the construction cost at $36MM+
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Hopefully it'll take some pressure off of the SkyClubs in ATL. When I'm on a short layover I just pop into whatever club is closest to my gate, hopefully folks on longer layovers will head to the CL.
SamirD likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.