Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 28, 2020, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Enigma368
AMEX COVID-19 BONUS EXPERIENCE WIKI

Doctor of Credit database of services that work/dont work for credits: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amex-benefits-workshop-which-merchants-code-for-streaming-wireless-shipping-credits-sortable-table

Please add services that have worked, or NOT worked, for you, along with any relevant notes. See the bottom of the wiki for information on what's supposed to be covered, per the Amex website.
Program T&Cs: https://about.americanexpress.com/si...n-TCs-FAQs.pdf

Wireless Phone Services (see below for rules)
  • WORKED
    • AT&T Prepaid - post 269
    • Greatcall - autopay, posted as WWW.GREATCALL.COM
    • T-Mobile Prepaid - post 265
    • Verizon Wireless Prepaid - posted as VZW PREPAID INTERNET OT
    • Visible - hardware purchase and monthly bill - both posted as VISIBLE LONE TREE
    • Google Fi - posted as wireless credit for many after May 22 (see posts from #385 onwards)
    • ACN Flash wireless - autopay, posted as ACN Flash wireless. Credit posted 24 hours after charge posted.
  • DID NOT WORK
    • xxx
  • YMMV
    • Google Fi - posted as streaming for some (plat - "GOOGLE *GOOGLE FI G.CO/HELPPAY# CA", pay.google.com, additional information shows "GAMES"); no credit on green (additional information shows "Axxxxxxx SELLER"). Not clear if this was a temporary miscoding since it posted as Wireless for several after May 22. UPDATE: GOOGLE FI still sometimes posts as streaming credit. Worked for me on September 14th 2020. Had already used the $20 wireless credit and paid another $20 go Google FI and it was refunded as streaming credit. My experience is that it works 50% of the time.
Streaming Services (see below for officially covered services)
  • WORKED
    • Amazon Music Unlimited - posted as AMAZON MUSIC
    • Amazon Kindle
    • Apple iCloud data storage - reimbursed as streaming subscription
    • Audible
    • Spotify
    • Disney Plus - posted as DISNEY PLUS ECOM
    • Netflix - posted as NETFLIX.COM
    • YouTube - movie rental, directly through YouTube
    • HBOMax
    • Google Play credits (only if purchased in Android Play app)
    • Google Play "In-Game Purchases" billed through google play
    • Google Domain Services
    • Sirius XM Annual Subscription
  • DID NOT WORK
    • Criterion Channel
  • YMMV
    • xxx
Shipping Services (Business Platinum)
  • WORKED
    • USPS.com - Forever Stamps 5/27/2020
    • USPS.com - gift shop.. toy trucks, etc 5/27/2020
    • UPS - Campusship label generated and scanned into UPS stream 5/22/2020 (have not yet tested label generated but not scanned into stream)
  • DID NOT WORK
    • xxx
  • YMMV
    • xxx

Wireless Credit Rules, Per Amex Website (https://www.americanexpress.com/us/r...fo/retail.html)
To earn additional rewards, the purchase must be for monthly wireless telephone service charges and made directly from a wireless telephone service provider in the United States.

The following types of purchases are NOT included for additional Wireless rewards:
  • Purchases from authorized retailers, resellers or third party sellers
  • Purchases for hardware (e.g phones and accessories) or repair services
  • Bundled services offered by Wireless companies for TV, Internet and VoIP
  • VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) services
Examples of merchants that accept the Card and where you can earn additional rewards for Wireless services include:
  • AT&T
  • Sprint
  • T-Mobile
  • Verizon
*This is not a complete list.

Examples of merchants where you will NOT earn additional rewards include:
  • Authorized retailers or resellers (e.g. Spring Communications, Wireless Zone)
  • Superstores (e.g. Wal-Mart, and Target)
  • Electronics stores (e.g. Best Buy, Staples)
Streaming Services Covered, Per Amex Website (https://www.americanexpress.com/us/r...fo/retail.html)
  • Amazon Music Unlimited
  • Apple Music
  • Apple TV+
  • AT&T Now
  • Audible
  • CBS All Access
  • Disney+
  • ESPN+
  • Fubo TV
  • HBO Max
  • HBO Now
  • Hulu
  • iHeartRadio
  • Kindle Unlimited
  • Luminary
  • MLB.TV
  • NBA League Pass
  • Netflix
  • NHL.TV
  • Pandora
  • Prime Video
  • Showtime
  • Sling TV
  • SiriusXM Streaming and Satellite
  • Spotify
  • Stitcher
  • YouTube Music Premium
  • YouTube Premium
  • YouTube TV

Print Wikipost

Amex USA COVID-19 temporary bonuses

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Yes they do usually come with AF increases, but I doubt they will this time.

I think Amex Platinum would be wise to incorporate 2x on Groceries up to $50k or something to that affect right now.
Maybe throw in a 5x on streaming and wireless services
They could also partner with amazon to allow for 2x points on Amazon or something to that affect.

I also think part of the equation they have to consider is what are these points even worth right now. The best redemption has always been for travel. It is great to say you are earning all these points, but with nowhere to spend them on, to a certain extent who cares how many hundreds of thousands of MR points I have.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by LAX
Do these refreshes typically come with AF increases?

LAX
Yes. After the most recent "refreshes", these cards' annual fees increased:

Business Platinum card: $495 to $595

Platinum card: $450 to $550

Gold card: $195 to $250

Green card: $95 to $150
Old Apr 30, 2020, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by cfabar1

I also think part of the equation they have to consider is what are these points even worth right now. The best redemption has always been for travel. It is great to say you are earning all these points, but with nowhere to spend them on, to a certain extent who cares how many hundreds of thousands of MR points I have.
I think that is a totally valid point. Multipliers are great, but the points still have fairly limited utility outside of travel redemption unless you have a Schwab card. But I'm sure Amex is hoping whatever multipliers they come up with will get people to defer cancelling until they can redeem their points for travel. The problem is nobody really knows when travel is going to be normal again.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by kdm31091
I think that is a totally valid point. Multipliers are great, but the points still have fairly limited utility outside of travel redemption unless you have a Schwab card. But I'm sure Amex is hoping whatever multipliers they come up with will get people to defer cancelling until they can redeem their points for travel. The problem is nobody really knows when travel is going to be normal again.
It seems like a lot of people have been given the open to pay for their annual fees with points at $0.01 per point when calling the reconsideration line. Maybe you will see statement credits or other redemption options outside of travel enhanced for non-Schwab holders.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Adelphos
It seems like a lot of people have been given the open to pay for their annual fees with points at $0.01 per point when calling the reconsideration line. Maybe you will see statement credits or other redemption options outside of travel enhanced for non-Schwab holders.
Nothing new about that....it's been the default "pretend to extend a retention offer when you're not really offering anything" option for several years.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
I agree with others. A bunch of temporary Amex offers won't do much to influence my decision on whether to keep the card or not. I don't have any hope that they will add a dining bonus, and streaming makes no sense unless it's a temporary credit for Netflix, which sounds weird for the typical Platinum card holder that is 51 years old and makes over $250k/year.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by zorbachs
I agree with others. A bunch of temporary Amex offers won't do much to influence my decision on whether to keep the card or not. I don't have any hope that they will add a dining bonus, and streaming makes no sense unless it's a temporary credit for Netflix, which sounds weird for the typical Platinum card holder that is 51 years old and makes over $250k/year.
Yep, I'm not 51 in fact I'm not even 30 but I'm in that income area and I have ZERO point ZERO interest in credits.

I want better point earnings or redemptions. Having the 2X go down to 1.5 on redemption 2 years ago was a huge bummer. When earning a million points plus a year can be doubled that's where we are talking value and would impact whether someone stays or goes.

(I feel repetitive now but it's the truth) The $10 credits just tack on the dopes that shouldn't even have the platinum to begin with. The ones that use the lounge once a year, sell the gift cards, use the saks credits down to the penny just so they can rationalize the AF in their heads. Among other dumb things. The level of cheapness and stingy behavior, makes me sick. And look I'm not saying fork over money carelessly but the general rule of thumb is you shouldn't even be getting a PLAT unless your spending bucks (at the very least 30K a year) OR traveling 10x times a year where a lounge is accessible because there are 10 other cards out there for small spenders that will yield higher all day everyday.

Then you have the same people that cry when then don't get a retention offer for spending 5K a year on the card.

*Newsflash* even my 7 figure spend AMEX could careless about. Even low 8 fig friends they don't even bat an eye at. They really don't. 99% of us have ZERO impact on their decisions.

Bring on the titanium (2X on everything 3x on dining etc and if you want to make us keep the money within AMEX offer 2-3X cash redemption into a AMEX yield account with a minimum 6 months locked in before cash out) and start purging the ones that are using the system to justify the AF, they aren't profitable to AMEX anyway. (and it takes away the wonderful benefits to those of us who really do use them)

If you have any doubt to what I'm saying go on facebook and look at the AMEX facebook groups, boy oh boy the platinum crowd which once really did cater the 100-250K a year crowd and traveling crowd is now catering to the 30K a year getting out of my debit card into my first charge card crowd. At that point any thought in your head of it being a premium card just went right out the window.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 4:05 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by theboss7593
And look I'm not saying fork over money carelessly but the general rule of thumb is you shouldn't even be getting a PLAT unless your spending bucks (at the very least 30K a year) OR traveling 10x times a year where a lounge is accessible because there are 10 other cards out there for small spenders that will yield higher all day everyday.
I definitely disagree with your rule of thumb. Why would you consider annual spending at all (whether $30k a year or otherwise) when looking at a Platinum card unless it's all prepaid hotels and flights? And don't even limit it to the 10x a year lounge visit, not everyone values the lounge the same as you, or they have family members in tow that triple the per-visit value.

I do agree in a sense that the increased perks and credits changed the baseline customer. There are fewer people willing to pay $250 (after airline credit) for lounge access, concierge, and IAP, than there are people willing to spend $50 (after all the credits) for the same benefits. But at the same time, revenue from those new customers did help facilitate the new Centurion Lounges being built!

Edit: Your comment about changing demographics also is key because Amex needed to compete against the CSR.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by Gig103
I definitely disagree with your rule of thumb. Why would you consider annual spending at all (whether $30k a year or otherwise) when looking at a Platinum card unless it's all prepaid hotels and flights? And don't even limit it to the 10x a year lounge visit, not everyone values the lounge the same as you, or they have family members in tow that triple the per-visit value.

I do agree in a sense that the increased perks and credits changed the baseline customer. There are fewer people willing to pay $250 (after airline credit) for lounge access, concierge, and IAP, than there are people willing to spend $50 (after all the credits) for the same benefits. But at the same time, revenue from those new customers did help facilitate the new Centurion Lounges being built!

Edit: Your comment about changing demographics also is key because Amex needed to compete against the CSR.
The family in tow point is a good one. Granted your capped at what 2 guests nowadays right? So if you are a family of 2-3-4 whatever your spending abilities should go up to coincide with that. 30K spend becomes a lot easier to attain on the personal side with more than 1 person.

30K spend calculation is easy. Amex points are valued at 2 cents each. = $600 a year covers the biz or reg AF. at least beats your breakeven before you factor all the other stuff in. that may or may not be used.

Lounges normally cost $50 a visit so unless your visiting the lounge a total of 11-12 times depending on biz or personal it doesn't pay for itself. Then whatever your annual spend is meaningless which is why I said Annual Spend is DQ'd if you use the lounges more than 10X.

Compete against the CSR all you want but the big money is not that demographic. I can get 3% cash back no cap in other places that are not Chase or Amex, keep lowering the benefits or redemptions and you'll start to lose the bigger money.

3% on a Mil a year is 30K a year. 10 mil a year = 300K a year starts adding up real fast. Then all you'll have is people using it for its rewards and not actually spending on it.

The more and more travel blogs keep feeding information the less and less rewards become available, the price of the rewards goes up etc. AF are important but having hundreds of millions of dollar of charges thru their interchange is more important to them. Remember they are taking 3-4%.

Last edited by theboss7593; Apr 30, 2020 at 5:09 pm
Old Apr 30, 2020, 5:24 pm

Bring on the titanium (2X on everything 3x on dining etc and if you want to make us keep the money within AMEX offer 2-3X cash redemption into a AMEX yield account with a minimum 6 months locked in before cash out) and start purging the ones that are using the system to justify the AF, they aren't profitable to AMEX anyway.
Newsflash for you: Those "dopes" are profitable to Amex. The dopes are likely subsidizing your benefits, not the other way around. Most of the FT people aren't profitable customers.

$550 - $200 - $50 - $50 is still $250 plus any swipe fees. A no annual fee offering would take, what, $10,000 - $20,000 in annual spend to generate $250 in bank profit?

You are correct that Amex Plat is a pseudo premium card. Almost all of them are.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:33 pm

According to rumor on doctorofcredit.com, the Amex Plat will add through the end of the year:
  • $20 per month credit for streaming services
  • $20 per month credit for wireless mobile services
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

having hundreds of millions of dollar of charges thru their interchange is more important to them. Remember they are taking 3-4%.
source?
Old May 1, 2020, 3:23 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by nall
According to rumor on doctorofcredit.com, the Amex Plat will add through the end of the year:
  • $20 per month credit for streaming services
  • $20 per month credit for wireless mobile services
Would be worth about $280 for me. Combined with Uber and Saks Credits ($350 for me even with reduced travel), this makes up the $550 fee. Would be a decent offer if it is indeed true. Would love similar offers for the Delta Reserve and Bonvoy Brilliant.
Old May 1, 2020, 6:28 am
kyh

-----

Last edited by kyh; Dec 27, 2020 at 6:07 am
Old May 1, 2020, 6:29 am

Amex announced the special credits for certain cards and skipped the Amex gold card. That sucks. At least give us a way to use the travel credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.