FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex USA COVID-19 temporary bonuses
View Single Post
Old Apr 30, 2020, 3:31 pm
theboss7593

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by zorbachs
I agree with others. A bunch of temporary Amex offers won't do much to influence my decision on whether to keep the card or not. I don't have any hope that they will add a dining bonus, and streaming makes no sense unless it's a temporary credit for Netflix, which sounds weird for the typical Platinum card holder that is 51 years old and makes over $250k/year.
Yep, I'm not 51 in fact I'm not even 30 but I'm in that income area and I have ZERO point ZERO interest in credits.

I want better point earnings or redemptions. Having the 2X go down to 1.5 on redemption 2 years ago was a huge bummer. When earning a million points plus a year can be doubled that's where we are talking value and would impact whether someone stays or goes.

(I feel repetitive now but it's the truth) The $10 credits just tack on the dopes that shouldn't even have the platinum to begin with. The ones that use the lounge once a year, sell the gift cards, use the saks credits down to the penny just so they can rationalize the AF in their heads. Among other dumb things. The level of cheapness and stingy behavior, makes me sick. And look I'm not saying fork over money carelessly but the general rule of thumb is you shouldn't even be getting a PLAT unless your spending bucks (at the very least 30K a year) OR traveling 10x times a year where a lounge is accessible because there are 10 other cards out there for small spenders that will yield higher all day everyday.

Then you have the same people that cry when then don't get a retention offer for spending 5K a year on the card.

*Newsflash* even my 7 figure spend AMEX could careless about. Even low 8 fig friends they don't even bat an eye at. They really don't. 99% of us have ZERO impact on their decisions.

Bring on the titanium (2X on everything 3x on dining etc and if you want to make us keep the money within AMEX offer 2-3X cash redemption into a AMEX yield account with a minimum 6 months locked in before cash out) and start purging the ones that are using the system to justify the AF, they aren't profitable to AMEX anyway. (and it takes away the wonderful benefits to those of us who really do use them)

If you have any doubt to what I'm saying go on facebook and look at the AMEX facebook groups, boy oh boy the platinum crowd which once really did cater the 100-250K a year crowd and traveling crowd is now catering to the 30K a year getting out of my debit card into my first charge card crowd. At that point any thought in your head of it being a premium card just went right out the window.