Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Clawbacks of 2019 reimbursements for REFUNDED airline "fees".

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clawbacks of 2019 reimbursements for REFUNDED airline "fees".

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2020, 8:29 pm

So this is an interesting DP. I bought an award ticket on February 19, 2020 (4500 DL miles + $5.60 on my Hilton Aspire), and the $5.60 got credited as an airline fee. Due to the pandemic I ended up cancelling my flight. Delta redeposit my miles as well as refunded my $5.60. Since I haven't put any recent charges on my Hilton Aspire it shows a negative balance. I asked an AMEX CSR via chat if the airline reimbursement fee would get reversed and they said it wouldn't. I'm okay with that, but it will definitely will be annoying if they claw it back next year.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:56 am

Clawbacks and MSRs?

Did anyone get a clawback of a credit that was needed to meet MSR for a new card bonus? I'm about to have a flight canceled because of COVID-19 and I'm concerned about what happens if my incidental refund puts me under MSR for a bonus I already received.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't think you understand the issue.

Here's a hypothetical example: In January 2019, I book an international award ticket on UA. UA deducts miles from my account and charges $50 in taxes and fees. Amex, purely through its own processes, with no request from me, reimburses the taxes and fees. A month later, in February 2019, I cancel the award because my plans changed, a better itinerary opened up, etc.. UA refunds my miles, as well as the taxes and fees (within 7 business days, as required under Reg Z). Amex does nothing. Twelve months later, in February 2020, Amex claws back the $50 statement credit by adding a $50 charge to my account. It's now too late for me to use the "unused" credit, which expired in 2019. I'm now screwed out of $50 worth of travel credits that I might have otherwise used if Amex had reversed the credit immediately after UA issued the refund.

And you think that would be perfectly fine?
yeah, but is this happening? We have not seen any clawbacks yet on our cards and I am sure there are some of these that were credited ... you kind of lose track what gets credited when and how.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by cfischer
yeah, but is this happening?
Again, literally post 24, although there have been no further updates from that poster.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gengar
Again, literally post 24, although there have been no further updates from that poster.
That is a fee that is explicitly reimbursed so if that refunds it should indeed return the credit as well. I thought we were talking about the credits for certain items that should technically not be reimbursed but that somehow trigger the credit anyway ... not seen those taken back yet.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by cfischer
That is a fee that is explicitly reimbursed so if that refunds it should indeed return the credit as well. I thought we were talking about the credits for certain items that should technically not be reimbursed but that somehow trigger the credit anyway ... not seen those taken back yet.
Whether it's explicitly (supposed to be) reimbursed is irrelevant. The issue is that the credit was neither returned to the account in time for OP to use again nor was it applied to future eligible transactions that took place.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 4:11 pm

Steps
1. do some modest number of clawbacks
2. make some noise about doing the clawbacks
3. blogs amplify noise because they need content for a half dozen posts every day
4. baptists online cheer because they can’t stand someone somewhere getting away something
5. lots of cardholders cool it with the games
6. voila! mission accomplished with oh so little effort.

it’s all crap, the same cycle used on hidden city.
GTITAN and b.xiao like this.

Last edited by mia; Mar 29, 2020 at 4:39 pm Reason: Please review rule 16.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 9:19 am

It may be too soon but have there been ANY reports about clawbacks of current year credits for what are obviously legitimate COVID related airline cancellations for eligible charges (not talking about any gaming of the system in anyway - I'm talking baggage, seat assignments, etc).

I just got the full $250 credited back to my card for seats and baggage for a cancelled flight next week. It sounds like most people have been told that once you get a credit (at least a legitimate one) it won't be reversed. Any data in the last two weeks (when I assume a lot more people have had cancelled flights) that contradicts that?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
There has been a new wave of clawbacks today. Got an email for $200 clawback on a now closed card but does not specify which year's credit it is being clawed back
Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Acid
There has been a new wave of clawbacks today. Got an email for $200 clawback on a now closed card but does not specify which year's credit it is being clawed back
I love the opaqueness. 'Here's a bill for $200, we're not going to explain why.'
Old Oct 13, 2020, 6:29 pm

I just had $250 clawed back as part of a legitimate pet fee that I charged back in January, and the flight was subsequently canceled. The card has since been closed. What a fun game.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by defjukie
I just had $250 clawed back as part of a legitimate pet fee that I charged back in January, and the flight was subsequently canceled. The card has since been closed. What a fun game.
What, do they expect you to send them a check for $250?
Old Jan 6, 2021, 9:41 am

Yup, and that's exactly what I had to do. AmEx is certainly not what they used to be. Went from being #1 in customer service to the most anti-consumer in a jiffy.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 9:45 am

i see a pattern that AMEX reviews the past utilization of this benefit shortly after account closure. if it were me, i'd try to get 2 years of time between the last credit (of the kind that was later refunded by the merchant) and AMEX account cancelation.
sdsearch, defjukie, brc01 and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.