Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Clawbacks of 2019 reimbursements for REFUNDED airline "fees".

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clawbacks of 2019 reimbursements for REFUNDED airline "fees".

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
I think Amex can fairly say that you did not incur "incidental air travel fees" eligible for the statement credit if the underlying charge is reversed.
This.

If cardholders desire the reimbursement of incidental fees, they need to incur eligible incidental fees . It's quite simple.
jamesteroh and gooselee like this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Has this actually happened to anyone? Or is it the justification against all of this?
Literally post 24:

Originally Posted by jackkyxu
I have a DP here for you to judge

I have two E+ purchase using Amex with each more than $100 and I put it on the Gold

the first one was cancelled and refunded because the Air travel ban

I got clawback, and I feel Amex should credit me the second purchase
An additional issue is that historically, AMEX has allowed cardholders who have not used any of the airline incidental credit to switch their choice of airline mid-year (I've personally done this numerous times over the years). So some cardholders might have switched airlines to get the credit if they hadn't already (apparently/pre-clawback) been issued one, even if they had no further incidental charges with their originally credited airline. The allowance of an airline switch can be viewed as a goodwill measure, but pragmatically it's still an issue.

In any case, waiting so long and still doing clawbacks is a really awful look for AMEX and I'm surprised anyone is defending AMEX here.
Ripper3785, volabam and Kacee like this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:07 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
literal Ryan Bingham's in here.
Ryan Bingham is literally in here?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Troopers
I haven't received the email nor am I concerned. Although I purchased flights on SWA (with intent to fly and I did) that were reimbursed, I didn't expect it to stick because the terms explicitly stated otherwise. So, I also purchased qualifying incidental fees up to the total airline fee amount (partially reimbursed because the SWA flights did not use all of the credit).

I play by the rules to avoid clawbacks and such.
If you wanted to play by the rules, perhaps you should have called Amex and asked them to reverse the credits you received in violation of the rules?
Kacee likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
I think Amex can fairly say that you did not incur "incidental air travel fees" eligible for the statement credit if the underlying charge is reversed.
I don't disagree that the fees no longer exist in this situation. The problem is with the timing of the credit reversal. If Amex is going to reverse a credit, they should either reverse it soon after the credit or allow the amount to be used within some stated time period after it's reversed, particularly toward the end of the year

Originally Posted by Javier1704
The funny thing the first time I received the credit and also a refund afterwards I called Amex to let me know and they told me "once you received the credit, you stay with the credit". LOL
I have two little seat upgrade credits from a flight I canceled within 24 hours of purchasing. I don't feel that I am entitled to the credits, but I'm not looking forward to trying to get them reversed AND having my available credit amount increased to include the reversed amount. Luckily, the credits are for this year so I have time, but why can't Amex take care of this promptly and why are their agents giving out misinformation?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
If you wanted to play by the rules, perhaps you should have called Amex and asked them to reverse the credits you received in violation of the rules?
That would just be a waste of time and energy. Reverse the credit and apply the credits to the eligible charges. What's the point? Net result is the same.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I don't think the credits are issued "in violation of the rules" when they are issued for air tickets, gift cards, or any other ineligible category, per the rules. Amex is choosing not to apply the exclusion to the charge, and of course you're okay with that. Nobody violated anything.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:44 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by Tanic
Ryan Bingham is literally in here?
Real life manifestations rather.

This website is infested with them.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Troopers
This.

If cardholders desire the reimbursement of incidental fees, they need to incur eligible incidental fees . It's quite simple.
And the cardholder may very well have incurred eligible charges. They just weren’t reimbursed because the ineligible charges, due to Amex’ faulty software implementation, were used by Amex to exhaust the credit. When Amex corrects their mistake, the right thing to do would be to then apply the credit to the eligible charges that were not credited.
Ripper3785 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 10:14 pm

And the cardholder may very well have incurred eligible charges. They just weren’t reimbursed because the ineligible charges, due to Amex’ faulty software implementation, were used by Amex to exhaust the credit. When Amex corrects their mistake, the right thing to do would be to then apply the credit to the eligible charges that were not credited.
I don’t understand your point. You described my scenario. I satisfied the terms for reimbursement, and it’s makes no difference to me whether Amex credits my ineligible charges or my eligible charges. Is there a material difference to a cardholder if Amex reimburses ineligible charges instead of the eligible charges?

If Amex clawbacks the ineligible charges, I’ll ask Amex to reimburse the eligible charges. However, if Amex declines reimbursement of eligible charges (due to erroneous reimbursement of ineligible charges), that’s a different issue and not the scenario being discussed.

Last edited by Troopers; Feb 27, 2020 at 10:22 pm
Old Feb 27, 2020, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is all kind of annoyingly hypothetical and going in circles.

Would be nice to get some actual data points so we can discuss Amex’s *actual* implementation of any clawback.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
This is funny. I’ve had an incorrect credit of $1200 on my Amex Marriott card for over two weeks. I’ve called Amex twice to fix this. The credit is still there!
Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by danhouston
the refunds by merchant / airlines
You might want to get a better data plan that allows you to type more words in your posts.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by jackkyxu
I have a DP here for you to judge

I have two E+ purchase using Amex with each more than $100 and I put it on the Gold

the first one was cancelled and refunded because the Air travel ban

I got clawback, and I feel Amex should credit me the second purchase
Did you call their CSR and ask got the second one to be credited? It seems to me by their terms they are obligated to do that.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 2:32 pm

I have a different spin on this question.

I purchased a $215 ticket for an upcoming flight. I applied a $50 gift card and used my Amex to buy the rest, and Amex has already credited me $165 per "additional collection" on the ticket. Plans have changed, and I'm no longer going to take the flight. My plan is to not show up to the flight, thus my ticket will be canceled. As I'll not be receiving a refund for my canceled ticket, there shouldn't be any credit for Amex to clawback, correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.