Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Clawbacks of 2019 reimbursements for REFUNDED airline "fees".

Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

clawbacks of airline refund are starting
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:58 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by danhouston
clawbacks of airline refund are starting
Please be more specific.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Please be more specific.
the refunds by merchant / airlines
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:18 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

I am looking for the full story. I did ABC on a specific date, it was reimbursed, it was refunded, and now XYZ has happened and American Express provided an explanation.
nancypants and jenee like this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
DoC has some info on it. I got clawbacked. It's 2019 year credits that were refunded.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:38 pm
mia

Here is a link to what I expect is the article:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...d-by-merchant/

Apparently you will receive an email if affected:

American Express just sent out a mass email that they are removing airline credits which were already credited back by the merchant
Old Feb 25, 2020, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I say expect more emails to roll out.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This would be quite harsh, given that (a) the user does not control Amex reimbursements, (b) most of us are getting refunds for reasons that have nothing to do with the fact there was an Amex reimbursement (e.g., I found a better timed award flight), and (c) if they're going to do this, they need to do it in a way that allows us to reuse the credit.

If Amex claws anything back from me, I will definitely raise a stink about it.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 4:25 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Kacee
....user does not control Amex reimbursements....
Often true, but in some instances the cardholder calls and requests reimbursement for a specific transaction..
Old Feb 25, 2020, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mia
Often true, but in some instances the cardholder calls and requests reimbursement for a specific transaction..
If they limit clawback to those circumstances, or others that indicate an intent to game the system, that would be a different story.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 5:24 pm

This doesn't apply if we chose tf right?

Last edited by gtran26; Feb 25, 2020 at 5:43 pm
Old Feb 25, 2020, 5:36 pm

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by gtran26
This doesn't apply if we chose travel funds right?
Shhhh, let them go for the easy kill and hope they are full after that.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
I had annual credit hit on UA for an mileage plus upgrade copay. I didn't actually expect it to apply to that transaction. As with all UA upgrade copays, you pay when you get wait listed and this upgrade didn't clear. I haven't had the credit clawed back yet after a month or so. I don't really care if it's reversed since I planned on using the credit for other charges over the course of the year, just hoping they wouldn't think of this negatively since it's standard practice for UA to charge for the copay regardless of the upgrades chance of clearing.
not2017 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't see why this is an issue -- as long as they'll also retroactively credit back other charges you made above and beyond the allowed reimbursement in 2019 (which were not subsequently refunded by the merchant). I'd be surprised if this were automatic though.
not2017 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:39 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I did the refund trick this year, but through an amazing stroke of luck, the refund from Delta went to the Visa that was used to purchase the $50 gift card that was used alongside my AMEX to purchase the flight originally, so I have been blessed.
not2017 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.