Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Clawbacks of 2019 reimbursements for REFUNDED airline "fees".

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clawbacks of 2019 reimbursements for REFUNDED airline "fees".

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I can't see why this is an issue -- as long as they'll also retroactively credit back other charges you made above and beyond the allowed reimbursement in 2019 (which were not subsequently refunded by the merchant).
I have $600 in credits and they were all on UA last year. If there's a clawback, there's nothing else to apply them to.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Myself, I wouldn't consider this a "clawback." Since these are refunded charges that you should not have received a credit for, it's just cleaning up the accounting.

I consider a "clawback" when they change their mind about loopholes like the "additional charge" with DL and try to apply it retroactively.
NoStressHere and Gig103 like this.

Last edited by hotturnip; Feb 26, 2020 at 7:21 pm Reason: spelling and punctuation
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by hiima
DoC has some info on it. I got clawbacked. It's 2019 year credits that were refunded.
Was it on all your cards or just some of them? Did everyone who is getting clawed back receive an email today?
Old Feb 26, 2020, 4:31 am

Programs: DL Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Myself, I wouldn't consider this a "clawback." Since these are refunded charged that you should not have received a credit for, its just cleaning up the accounting.

I consider a "clawback" when they change their mind about loopholes like the "additional charge" with DL and try to apply it retroactively.
Definitely a clawback if they reverse the credit without any recourse. A cardholder could have $100s of other charges the credit could have been used on. Imagine the hassle of working with Amex to get this sorted after they view you as already gaming the system, when in fact, there are many non gaming reasons to get a refund from an airline.

Seems quite tacky for Amex to make a big deal about this. It was in fact their system that dropped the ball. Seems easy from a programming end to tie a credit to a particular charge. If the change gets refunded, credit disappears.

Amex, spend the money on building a better system.
Kacee and milesforhire like this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:35 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by idkmybffjill
Did everyone who is getting clawed back receive an email today?
I doubt that anyone here knows, but if I were managing this project I would break it into sections to spread out the customer service workload.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I just got a double credit from Southwest and Amex on my platinum card.

I only fly Southwest in very rare situations. Seems to me that I should consider a second (non-reimbursed) Southwest charge in case the first one is clawed back if it isn't rectified by year end.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Myself, I wouldn't consider this a "clawback." Since these are refunded charged that you should not have received a credit for, its just cleaning up the accounting.

This!!!
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by dfflyer
Definitely a clawback if they reverse the credit without any recourse.
I agree that clawback is the appropriate term. Amex issues the statement credit, and then due to a later refund (or an earlier one the systems didn't notice when issuing the credit), Amex claws it back. FWIW, I think this sort of clawback is completely fair on Amex's part. The underlying charge is reversed, and thus so should be the statement credit.

The safer approach is to actually use the charge you make. For example, make Southwest charges that earn the credit, and if you cancel the cheap flights you book, keep the travel funds for later use -- don't request a refund.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:23 am

I have a DP here for you to judge

I have two E+ purchase using Amex with each more than $100 and I put it on the Gold

the first one was cancelled and refunded because the Air travel ban

I got clawback, and I feel Amex should credit me the second purchase
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by jackkyxu
I have a DP here for you to judge

I have two E+ purchase using Amex with each more than $100 and I put it on the Gold

the first one was cancelled and refunded because the Air travel ban

I got clawback, and I feel Amex should credit me the second purchase
If both purchases were on the Gold in the same year, then they absolutely should.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by time_stamp
If both purchases were on the Gold in the same year, then they absolutely should.
of course on the same gold card, but Amex did not credit but clawback
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:58 pm

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
The funny thing the first time I received the credit and also a refund afterwards I called Amex to let me know and they told me "once you received the credit, you stay with the credit". LOL
sdsearch, GTITAN, hipp0 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 1:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
I doubt that anyone here knows, but if I were managing this project I would break it into sections to spread out the customer service workload.
Hopefully the (un-deletable)DPs from closed threads aren't a roadmap for them to track these down.
(or maybe we deserve it)
Old Feb 26, 2020, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I have $600 in credits and they were all on UA last year. If there's a clawback, there's nothing else to apply them to.
I don't follow.
You made $600 in charges on UA last year, and received $600 in credits (presumably across multiple cards).
If any of those charges were refunded, then I would expect Amex to reverse the credit, so to basically charge your card, therefore offsetting the refund you previously received.

The issue is that if I made $600 in charges on UA and only had one Platinum card, and got $200 reimbursed, but then $50 was refunded at some point, if Amex wants to claw back $50 of credit (i.e., charge me $50), the should also retroactively apply the "remaining" $50 credit to one of the other un-reimbursed charges on UA last year.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
Hopefully the (un-deletable)DPs from closed threads aren't a roadmap for them to track these down.
(or maybe we deserve it)
I actually would like to see DPs on this clawback. As far as I can tell, the few people who have actually reported getting clawed back had to do with E+ reimbursements.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.