Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Clawbacks of 2019 reimbursements for REFUNDED airline "fees".

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clawbacks of 2019 reimbursements for REFUNDED airline "fees".

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2020, 4:16 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by enoscabell
My plan is to not show up to the flight, thus my ticket will be canceled.
It doesn't seem to make sense to forfeit a $215 ticket to preserve a $165 reimbursement. Which airline? Is the ticket refundable? If not, it may still be changeable for a fee, in which case the value would typically be held at the airline in the form of a voucher.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 4:30 pm

It's a non-refundable domestic Delta ticket that's not covered by any of the coronavirus waivers, and the change fee is $200. I'd rather not jump through hoops to collect a net $15 in credit and potentially deal with even more money out of pocket due to a clawback of the refund.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Javier1704
The funny thing the first time I received the credit and also a refund afterwards I called Amex to let me know and they told me "once you received the credit, you stay with the credit". LOL
Yep, a representative told me today that they can't do anything to credits. They can manually issue credits for existing charges, but they can't undo or modify the existing credits.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 4:31 pm

if there's been a schedule change, cancel and request a refund. if not, check-in & monitor for a flight delay and then request a refund.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
If the meter says that I have $0 left in incidental credits, I will start charging my incidentals to another card so there will be nothing else to apply a retroactively rescinded credit. I have to trust that their systems are giving me accurate information on my benefits. Even if Amex is legally in the right to reverse a credit, doing so is not consumer friendly and reserved for customers who they’re absolutely sure are operating in bad faith and whom they don’t need to keep on as customers.

In any case, it seems that they are going after people who most obviously gamed the system. People who have a pattern of buying tickets, cancelling them for immediate refunds back onto their credit cards, and pocketing the airline credit without any evidence that they ever intended to use it. Do that several times, and you establish a pattern that defies statistical likelihood. Bam. It doesn’t mean they won’t go after less egregious cases in the future, but just don’t be that guy who is abusing the system so obviously that there can’t be any reasonable explanation for it.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
You might want to get a better data plan that allows you to type more words in your posts.
lol, if u r sharp, will quickly get it; no need to be wordy
Old Mar 6, 2020, 7:13 am

so trying to get some clarity. I did the GC method in 2019, bought fully refundable tickets and got the credit. My flight is coming up shortly and was planning to cancel the ticket because of corona and I am not comfortable flying at this time.

it looks the credit will be clawed back? is that confirmed, can i still plead my case with amex, considering this was very valid reason for cancellation?

My ticket was for 257 and 176 was charged to card, Delta Rep said full 257 will go as credit back to card if I cancel the ticket. Does this still trigger claw back?
Old Mar 6, 2020, 7:29 am
mia

Originally Posted by troyhouse
....can i still plead my case with amex, considering this was very valid reason for cancellation?
I think not, because ticket purchases are explicitly excluded from reimbursement. Your "case" would be that American Express' system mistook your ticket purchase for a fee, and they should not fix their mistake?
gooselee likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 7:59 am

the gift card amount will be refunded to an ecredit voucher and AMEX will be none the wiser
Old Mar 6, 2020, 8:13 am
mia

Originally Posted by Colin
the gift card amount will be refunded to an ecredit voucher and AMEX will be none the wiser
...but the $176 will be refunded to the American Express card.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
I think not, because ticket purchases are explicitly excluded from reimbursement. Your "case" would be that American Express' system mistook your ticket purchase for a fee, and they should not fix their mistake?
Exactly, IMO they should claw back the credit for being in violation of the program's terms in the first place, not because the original charge was refunded, although that's a valid reason as well.
:ducks:
gooselee likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Method

I've always found it weird that sometimes I'll get an email saying "Here's more information about any merchant credits you received" if something was refunded or returned but sometimes I'll never get an email.

It makes me think that the way a merchant posts the credit matters to amex. Are people who are getting these claw back requests also recipients of amex emails that informed them of the credits in the past? Just wondering if that email trigger was key.

Again not sure why amex send info emails on some refunds/ credits but not others. Anyone have any insight? Or maybe know the gory details of merchant credit processing?
Old Mar 7, 2020, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrkymark
I've always found it weird that sometimes I'll get an email saying "Here's more information about any merchant credits you received" if something was refunded or returned but sometimes I'll never get an email.

It makes me think that the way a merchant posts the credit matters to amex. Are people who are getting these claw back requests also recipients of amex emails that informed them of the credits in the past? Just wondering if that email trigger was key.

Again not sure why amex send info emails on some refunds/ credits but not others. Anyone have any insight? Or maybe know the gory details of merchant credit processing?
or maybe clawbacks r not finished yet?
Old Mar 7, 2020, 12:48 pm

Dumbass American Express....

all they have to do is to make air fare purchase (and any other airline purchases) eligible for the credit, then they would not have to waste their time clawing back charges, and customers are happy.

both citi and chase are doing this for their premium cards, why is American Express so stupidly stubborn?
Old Mar 7, 2020, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
Dumbass American Express....

all they have to do is to make air fare purchase (and any other airline purchases) eligible for the credit, then they would not have to waste their time clawing back charges, and customers are happy.

both citi and chase are doing this for their premium cards, why is American Express so stupidly stubborn?
has anyone had their 2019 credits reversed for ineligible airline purchases? All I see is people who got refunded (and a credit) for a purchase get their credit reversed which makes perfect sense to me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.