Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

SPECULATION: new USA card priced between Centurion & Platinum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPECULATION: new USA card priced between Centurion & Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AAdmiral
Someone above mentioned the JP Morgan Reserve Card which I also have and its’s basically just the Private Banks version of the Chase Sapphire Reserve. It’s not a Centurion Card rival.

I’m wondering if AMEX has further benefits for the Centurion but might wait until April 2020 to launch them when they simultaneously launch the Centurion-Lite Card. I wish AMEX would use the airline and hotel model in the future regarding their card products like I mentioned in the other thread. This makes life a lot easier and don’t have to carry 3-4 different AMEX cards to take advantage of the benefits.

Amex Green - benefits
Amex Gold - all Green benefits plus additional Gold benefits
Amex Platinum - all Gold benefits plus additional Platinum benefits
Amex Centurion Lite - all Platinum benefits plus additional Centurion Lite benefits
Amex Centurion - all Centurion Lite benefits plus additional Centurion benefits
With the use of things like ApplePay/SamsungPay/GooglePlay and lots of online payment facilities, isn't it easy enough to switch between Amex cards for charges (to maximize return/benefits of card use) without physically carrying all the cards? Or does the use of those kind of phone pay tools invalidate some of the benefits that the card user gets from using a given Amex card account?

If Amex were to sort of do what you want, I would expect that they would hike the fees of all the cards even more than it needs for revenue growth management -- as there is also the concern of income/earnings growth management and the risk involved with being in the kind of position that Chase found itself in with the CSR being more expensive initially than it may have expected.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:03 pm
FT

Originally Posted by GUWonder
With the use of things like ApplePay/SamsungPay/GooglePlay and lots of online payment facilities, isn't it easy enough to switch between Amex cards for charges (to maximize return/benefits of card use) without physically carrying all the cards? Or does the use of those kind of phone pay tools invalidate some of the benefits that the card user gets from using a given Amex card account?

If Amex were to sort of do what you want, I would expect that they would hike the fees of all the cards even more than it needs for revenue growth management -- as there is also the concern of income/earnings growth management and the risk involved with being in the kind of position that Chase found itself in with the CSR being more expensive initially than it may have expected.
If you read the ToS, AMEX indicates that it has the right to not award bonus points if you use something like Apple Pay rather than contactless. This isn't happening right now in my experience, but I recall reading AMEX reserves that right down the line.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:06 pm
FT

I have 5 AMEX MR cards. While I'd love to be able to carry one and reap the aggregate multipliers on my spend, I highly doubt AMEX will do this. This isn't even offered on the Centurion let along Cent-lite
GUWonder likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FT
I have 5 AMEX MR cards. While I'd love to be able to carry one and reap the aggregate multipliers on my spend, I highly doubt AMEX will do this. This isn't even offered on the Centurion let along Cent-lite
Maybe Amex will come up with a specialized card that chooses which sub-card should be used for a given kind of expenditure among its portfolio of cards and charges a monthly or annual subscription fee to do that. For someone who is paying $1000+/year in card annual fees, maybe paying Amex $10-$20/month for such a card feature would fly for all interested in customer laziness?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by FT
Maybe not one single card that offers all, but could they at least offer a "technical" card, or allow for example the Platinum card to be "inked" to the other cards, even though you pay all the other cards?
I would like that idea.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:33 pm

I know a few who got the Centurion card within the past 3-5 years and who are definitely making substantially less than the average middle age physician or lawyer in my family. Some of those relatively-recent new Centurion cardholders have rather much wealthier relatives than they are but that is not how they qualified for a Centurion card. Most of them seemed to get the Centurion card by running up expenses that were or could be seen to be business, networking or other business development-related expenses in rather high-profile fields involving the kind of celebrities that get TV coverage of some sort or another or managing money for such people. These Centurions aren't the kind of people that can afford to buy even the cheapest of the Koenigsegg hypercars, but they are the kind of people who would perhaps get a test drive of such a car or be able to find someone who would be in the market for such a hypercar.
The 2 Cents i've met were similar - racking up crazy business spends on ad buys but ultimately had less personal purchasing power than I did. It's weird. I mean, how mass market is the Cent card? Can't they vet folks better - personally review applications to curate a clientele that's best for their brand?

I'm a member of a social club in PHL similar to Soho House called the Fitler Club. There's the whole waitlist/application/interview/invite only process to join - but they really made an effort to bring together a group of people from varied backgrounds - creative leaders, heads of agencies, tv personalities, radio hosts, social media influencers, minority business owners. Not just Bob Lawyer and Steve Banker. It cultivates a far more creative class/ interesting vibe than the suit class provides - and that's by design.

Why can't Amex do something similar? Review applications personally and choose black card types from varied backgrounds? Instead of some algorhythm green-lighting Bobby Business b/c he racked up $8mm in ad buys on his Platinum - even though his actual spending power is less than someone earning $200k a year. Even if the process took months to review - doesn't seem that hard.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 2:28 pm
FT

Maybe Amex will come up with a specialized card that chooses which sub-card should be used for a given kind of expenditure among its portfolio of cards and charges a monthly or annual subscription fee to do that. For someone who is paying $1000+/year in card annual fees, maybe paying Amex $10-$20/month for such a card feature would fly for all interested in customer laziness?
Agree... similar to an a la carte model where you choose your rewards and the yearly fee is dynamic based on your choices. Wishful thinking perhaps.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by FT
Agree... similar to an a la carte model where you choose your rewards and the yearly fee is dynamic based on your choices. Wishful thinking perhaps.
In an a la carte model how much is the $120dining credit or the $200 Uber credit worth in terms of AF?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PHLondoner
The 2 Cents i've met were similar - racking up crazy business spends on ad buys but ultimately had less personal purchasing power than I did. It's weird. I mean, how mass market is the Cent card? Can't they vet folks better - personally review applications to curate a clientele that's best for their brand?

I'm a member of a social club in PHL similar to Soho House called the Fitler Club. There's the whole waitlist/application/interview/invite only process to join - but they really made an effort to bring together a group of people from varied backgrounds - creative leaders, heads of agencies, tv personalities, radio hosts, social media influencers, minority business owners. Not just Bob Lawyer and Steve Banker. It cultivates a far more creative class/ interesting vibe than the suit class provides - and that's by design.

Why can't Amex do something similar? Review applications personally and choose black card types from varied backgrounds? Instead of some algorhythm green-lighting Bobby Business b/c he racked up $8mm in ad buys on his Platinum - even though his actual spending power is less than someone earning $200k a year. Even if the process took months to review - doesn't seem that hard.
Of three of the few from recent year holders whom I know, they are substantially plugged into the music, sports and other arts/entertainment scene and are more of the cross-sector/cross-industry type than easily pigeon-holed by any measure. But their spending habits to qualify were just large and of the sort I noted earlier. They all are renewing the cards with the higher Centurion fees. Not sure why exactly, but they are.

Originally Posted by PHLondoner
In an a la carte model how much is the $120dining credit or the $200 Uber credit worth in terms of AF?

An annual fee which Amex would want to pad for its risk of having all such customers fully utilizing the benefits selected a la carte?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Just throwing a plausible mid-luxury tier card out there:

AMEX RESERVE ($2500/yr)
$1000 travel credit (a credit similar to the CSR as opposed to the current Plat airline credit)
$300 Uber credit ($25 per month)
$200 annual dining credit
$300 annual Saks credit (or insert other department store here)
Complimentary CLEAR access
$550 airport lounge credit (so no SkyClub-specific access built in, but the ability to purchase a club membership for DL, AA, UA)
Annual Travel Insurance
DL Gold, Marriott Platinum status
5x MR points on travel, 3x points on everyday spend (would probably require bumping up the Centurion to 3x spend too, which I'm surprised hasn't happened)

Plus the usual Precheck/Global Entry waiver, etc
Maine2LA and GTITAN like this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I wouldn't put Centurion on that much of a pedestal. I know about a dozen cardholders in the US and UK who lead very upper middle-class lives, but are by no definition 'wealthy'. Two struggle to pay their mortgage each month and have done so for years. It's an imperfect algorithm for what is a mass-market product.
I guarantee you those friends of yours are wealthy by any and all standards. Upper middle class doesn’t start at the top 1% or 0.5% of income earners. About $400k yearly income puts you in the top 1% of income earners in the United States.

I will give you thought that there is quite a gulf between top 1% and top 0.1%.
GUWonder and GTITAN like this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by steveholt

AMEX RESERVE ($2500/yr)
$1000 travel credit (a credit similar to the CSR as opposed to the current Plat airline credit)
$550 airport lounge credit (so no SkyClub-specific access built in, but the ability to purchase a club membership for DL, AA, UA)
Annual Travel Insurance
5x MR points on travel, 3x points on everyday spend (would probably require bumping up the Centurion to 3x spend too, which I'm surprised hasn't happened)

Ha good luck.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt

AMEX RESERVE ($2500/yr)
Annual Travel Insurance

Lol that's better than the Black Card.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by phant0m
Lol that's better than the Black Card.
I suspect they'll probably need to bump up the benefits of the Black Card while introducing the mid-tier card.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jags86
I guarantee you those friends of yours are wealthy by any and all standards. Upper middle class doesn’t start at the top 1% or 0.5% of income earners. About $400k yearly income puts you in the top 1% of income earners in the United States.

I will give you thought that there is quite a gulf between top 1% and top 0.1%.
My bet is that most individual Americans making $400k-500k per year are highly unlikely to swallow the idea of spending $1500-2500/year of post-tax income on bank card annual fees absent some ridiculously lucrative (and expensive for Amex) benefits that are extremely easy to use to offset most of the card fee expenses. Even people with high incomes aren’t necessarily able and willing to easily waste money on card fees, as savings/wealth accumulation and housing payments and even school payments matter too.
GTITAN likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.