Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

SPECULATION: new USA card priced between Centurion & Platinum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPECULATION: new USA card priced between Centurion & Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Perhaps this new card is the real reason American Express has created a link to report interest in a Centurion invitation?

https://iforms.americanexpress.com/i...k=loginpageEOI
It's still Centurion so that's weird. What I mean by that is, if it's for Centurion, then proposing a "lower" card is weird.

If it's including the "lower" card, then it's not clear and people who may not be able to pay $5000 on a credit card ($10,000 if you have a AU) would not try to apply here, I think.

Last edited by Gasolin; Nov 8, 2019 at 7:48 am
Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I may end up eating my words, but I find this such a strange strategy, especially since they have revamped Platinum in most markets, made it more expensive, and issued metal cards. The aspiration, if there is some, is to get up to Centurion, not some new intermediate stage with presumably enhanced Platinum benefits.

I do wonder what colour they'll choose, should this go ahead. What is left?
No idea, velvet?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:45 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Gasolin
It's still Centurion so that's weird.
No new product has been announced. American Express harvests a list of existing cardholders who are interested in Centurion, but sends an email or letter to some, "Sorry we are unable to offer you a Centurion membership at this time, however you are eligible to apply for the new American Express Diamond..."
LondonElite and PHLondoner like this.

Last edited by mia; Nov 8, 2019 at 7:51 am
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
I'm having a hard time imagining a product that is in-between there, that is going to satisfy some unknown need. That is probably due to my own lack of creativity. I wonder if it would be more of a Centurion-Lite or a Platinum-Pro. A heavier platinum would have to be more lucrative than holding a Platinum and a Gold, requiring tons of bonus spend categories, and higher credits. A Centurion-Lite can't hold all of the same stuff as the Centurion, minus an Equinox membership.

I wonder what would be the chances that the Platinum loses Centurion Lounge access and that this card becomes a Centurion-Lite.
LondonElite likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What's the Equinox membership that would be worth $3500 per year? Is this a gym network or something else?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What's the Equinox membership that would be worth $3500 per year? Is this a gym network or something else?
Yes, and in the Centurion thread that’s being touted as the main reason to justify the fee increase to $5,000.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:29 am

Yes, and in the Centurion thread that’s being touted as the main reason to justify the fee increase to $5,000.
So if you are not very much into working out, it's just $3,600 wasted!!!
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Gasolin
So if you are not very much into working out, it's just $3,600 wasted!!!
I did point out in that thread that I thought it a strange amount of enthusiasm. Nothing like that offered on the German Centurion currently.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
I may end up eating my words, but I find this such a strange strategy, especially since they have revamped Platinum in most markets, made it more expensive, and issued metal cards. The aspiration, if there is some, is to get up to Centurion, not some new intermediate stage with presumably enhanced Platinum benefits.

I do wonder what colour they'll choose, should this go ahead. What is left?
At $10,000 initiation and $5000/yr annual fee, there is a pretty big spread between the Platinum and the Centurion. After all, people making $100k/yr can find value in the Platinum card. People making $400k/yr likely can’t qualify for Centurion (or even if they can, are they willing to spend $5k/yr for one?) but may be willing to give American Express $1000/yr for “more” benefits.

The Platinum card is one of many cards in the $400-$600 price range. AMEX needs a new, attainable, aspirational product.
I see this simply as a way for AMEX to get more money from folks.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The end of the era of there being more to gain from paying multiple cards’ fees than from paying just one card fee to Amex isn’t going to happen anytime soon. Amex has a massive dependency on its fee revenue streams and on its partner affiliates for its card portfolio in a travel marketplace that has become increasingly oligopolistic and seems to be headed toward being no less concentrated than is currently the case.

Centurion benefits are becoming less about travel in ways than they used to be.
I pay Amex 800/year for my Gold + Platinum. If they offered an exclusive enhanced card at $1000 that combined the core benefits of both cards (5x Travel/4xRestaurant/Grocery, Centurion, Uber Credit, Dining Credit) etc. into a single card plus a few added/new benefits - I'd probably be swayed to pay the $200 more/yr for that card. In this context they'd be making more in AF from me.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:52 am

When Chase launched the Chase Sapphire Reserve it caught American Express by surprise and took the “crown” from The Platinum Card. I think AMEX is trying to take it back. If they launch a card slotted between the Centurion and Platinum Card how will Chase react?
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by Super Mario
requiring tons of bonus spend categories, and higher credits.
I think we are the only ones who think about credit cards in this way (hence the popularity of the Apple Card). Most people don't look at the effective annual fee or anything. Even the Centurion is not a card for categories, it's a membership card that comes with status and perks that only a tiny minority have the income to enjoy them. to a lesser extent, this is also true for the Platinum. Most of us never buy anything with it... The problem is that everyone can have the Platinum, it isn't a status symbol anymore.

Originally Posted by PHLondoner
I pay Amex 800/year for my Gold + Platinum. If they offered an exclusive enhanced card at $1000 that combined the core benefits of both cards (5x Travel/4xRestaurant/Grocery, Centurion, Uber Credit, Dining Credit) etc. into a single card plus a few added/new benefits - I'd probably be swayed to pay the $200 more/yr for that card. In this context they'd be making more in AF from me.
This is ideal for the FlyerTalk demographics, not everyone else.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:19 am

I don't know if there is a need for a Centurion-lite, but I have no doubt there is a market for it. Right now there are just mass affluent cards and then there is Centurion, nothing in between. People in the single-digit millionaire range don't have a card to make them feel special. If Amex doesn't fill that slot Chase or someone else will.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:46 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by AAdmiral
....card slotted between the Centurion and Platinum Card how will Chase react?
It's quite possible they would do nothing. Chase has not reacted to the higher annual fees implemented by American Express Platinum or Citi Prestige. Chase has not introduced a Business version of Sapphire Reserve.

Last edited by mia; Nov 8, 2019 at 10:35 am Reason: Insert missing word.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
One area that would pique my interest would be if they combined the Plat + Gold into a mega card. Bring the annual fees together (so $800 a year), and add the Gold perks to the Plat card. Basically it's just annoying to track two cards and two disjointed AFs, although from what I've seen on FT some folks like splitting up their airline perks across different airlines. Honestly, they'd probably have a market keeping it at $200/yr airline incidentals and still an $800 AF, since they're already difficult enough to use, but it's about the only area where my limited creativity sees room for a higher AF card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.