Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

SPECULATION: new USA card priced between Centurion & Platinum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPECULATION: new USA card priced between Centurion & Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:11 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
I’d love a card that would replace my Platinum AMEX, SkyMiles AMEX Platinum, AMEX Bonvoy Brilliant and CSR. I’d easily pay $1,500 for it.

Give me SkyClub access, Marriott and Hilton status, and 5x earnings on travel and dining. I’m good.
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by allseas1586
I’d love a card that would replace my Platinum AMEX, SkyMiles AMEX Platinum, AMEX Bonvoy Brilliant and CSR. I’d easily pay $1,500 for it.

Give me SkyClub access, Marriott and Hilton status, and 5x earnings on travel and dining. I’m good.
Unless you never travel outside of the US, you'll need a Visa or a Mastercard in your wallet. So both Chase and Citi still get money from me.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Statman
Doctor of Credit is reporting that a card between the Platinum and Centurion card is indeed in the works. It supposedly will be invite only like the Centurion card.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor...num-centurion/
They'll probably find some way to get a "meh" reaction to it, just like they did with the Green. One commenter on that thread suggests a "one card to rule them all" card, with no time partitioning on the credits, an actually useful general-purpose travel credit, and wide travel categories (like BofA please, but that's a non-starter). Yeah, that'll never happen, it isn't Amex's way.
lsquare and cuthroat like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt
Just throwing a plausible mid-luxury tier card out there:

AMEX RESERVE ($2500/yr)
$1000 travel credit (a credit similar to the CSR as opposed to the current Plat airline credit)
$300 Uber credit ($25 per month)
$200 annual dining credit
$300 annual Saks credit (or insert other department store here)
Complimentary CLEAR access
$550 airport lounge credit (so no SkyClub-specific access built in, but the ability to purchase a club membership for DL, AA, UA)
Annual Travel Insurance
DL Gold, Marriott Platinum status
5x MR points on travel, 3x points on everyday spend (would probably require bumping up the Centurion to 3x spend too, which I'm surprised hasn't happened)

Plus the usual Precheck/Global Entry waiver, etc
If they're going to do that, only annual credits please.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by entropy
Maybe 1500 for an AF; I'd want to be targeting the heavy road warriors and luxury traveler. I would want to see inflight WiFi, get rid of the vanilla plats in the Cent lounges... only this and Cent would get in that would solve the crowding issue.
I agree. Heck, if they have to even make the AF higher, but make it easier to use the credit, then I'm all for it. Whatever credit they put on the card should be allowed to be used globally. Doesn't make a lot of sense to restrict Uber credit to travel only within the US. Uber operates all over the world. What I'm looking for is truly a global credit card. I was waiting for Chase and Citi to issue something like that, but they didn't. Chase blew it with the CSR and the recent increased AF.

As for Centurion Lounge, I think what would really help is to eliminates free companions. I don't know if I would agree per se to restricting access to Centurion and Black/Titanium cardholders, but I'm not against it.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by Gasolin
The new card is the contactless version?
Yes, and some people have complained the surface of the card wears off in swipe machines.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:19 am

To me it does not seem that Amex is really interested in making a "one card to rule them all" type of thing. The Green, for example, was refreshed and none of the rumors (4x gas, Amazon Prime) panned out. Instead, we got a card that has some overlap with the Gold, but not so much that some people don't still have both. Amex wants people paying as many AFs as possible, I would think. I don't see them making a card with a higher AF that defeats the purpose of all the other products. My guess is it will be another situation where it adds some benefit, but you'd still want to keep your Plat or your Gold, etc.

I also don't see Amex doing a more general travel credit or being less picky about the yearly credits. They dole them out monthly instead because they can still advertise the yearly total credit amount, but only a fraction will actually remember to use it every month. They like the way they do it because it creates tons of breakage. I'm not defending them, but I get why they do it, even if we hate it.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by kdm31091
To me it does not seem that Amex is really interested in making a "one card to rule them all" type of thing. The Green, for example, was refreshed and none of the rumors (4x gas, Amazon Prime) panned out. Instead, we got a card that has some overlap with the Gold, but not so much that some people don't still have both. Amex wants people paying as many AFs as possible, I would think. I don't see them making a card with a higher AF that defeats the purpose of all the other products. My guess is it will be another situation where it adds some benefit, but you'd still want to keep your Plat or your Gold, etc.

I also don't see Amex doing a more general travel credit or being less picky about the yearly credits. They dole them out monthly instead because they can still advertise the yearly total credit amount, but only a fraction will actually remember to use it every month. They like the way they do it because it creates tons of breakage. I'm not defending them, but I get why they do it, even if we hate it.
Yeah I would love for the Plat (or the next announced card) to have 5x or more across the board for dining, travel, gas, etc and use it for my everyday spend rather then just have it sit in my wallet.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by phant0m
Yeah I would love for the Plat (or the next announced card) to have 5x or more across the board for dining, travel, gas, etc and use it for my everyday spend rather then just have it sit in my wallet.
Were this the case (though somehow I think it won't be), sign me up.

Safe Travels
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
So much about how the world works has changed in the past quarter. I have not boarded a plane since the last post, and can't imagine doing buying a ticket until we have either a cure for the virus or a vaccine.

So far the $40 in monthly credits for streaming + mobile "make me whole" relative to my Amex $550 fee. (i.e. 40*12=$480 & the $15*12=180 Ubereats credit is probably worth $70 for me so I'll keep the card for a year or two). My other premium cards ( Chase Ritz @$450/year includes $300 of flexible travel credit + a free premium Marriott room + 15 elite nights + amazing customer service + great bonuses, e.g. 8% back on gas) earn their keep and my Chase Presidential Plus ($99/year for most of the benefits of United Gold status should I ever return to the skies + great mobile phone insurance) also work out. I also have business Chase Southwest Visa and business Amex Bonvoy.

In the Covid, and eventual post-Covid, world there continues to be a market for a new card between Centurion and Platinum. The simplest way for Amex to make the Platinum card more valuable would be to make the travel fee wavier be more flexible. Would be nice if a higher annual fee could include more benefits for those of us who can use both business + personal cards.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 3:01 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.

While we have users who would be willing to pay the same $1000 in AF that they already do for a combined card instead of carrying Gold + Plat cards, I think the way Amex is doing it helps them advertise higher cardholders. I don't know why that number really matters, especially if investors are onto the 'game', but when you're up against Visa and MC who have the debit card market locked up, maybe every little sleight of hand helps?

I will say that the "covid credits" have been incredibly useful and I'd love to see one or both of them become permanent. I'd prefer either to the Uber credit.
imnotalawyer likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gig103
While we have users who would be willing to pay the same $1000 in AF that they already do for a combined card instead of carrying Gold + Plat cards, I think the way Amex is doing it helps them advertise higher cardholders. I don't know why that number really matters, especially if investors are onto the 'game', but when you're up against Visa and MC who have the debit card market locked up, maybe every little sleight of hand helps?

I will say that the "covid credits" have been incredibly useful and I'd love to see one or both of them become permanent. I'd prefer either to the Uber credit.
Or just make the credits easier to use like Chase. It’s just not consumer friendly.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold

Even if they "stack up" annual fees, it would be great if there was a way to stack up benefits within a single card.
For example, you had a Platinum and you add a Gold, instead of having to use the Gold for its benefit, allow the Platinum card to have the same benefits as the Gold. That way, you only carry one card for all purposes? That would be some progress for me. That way, you can "construct" your ideal card. No reduction in fees, but a bit more "practical" as you don't have to think "Should I use my Gold instead since this is a restaurant?" etc...
747FC and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Gasolin
Even if they "stack up" annual fees, it would be great if there was a way to stack up benefits within a single card.
For example, you had a Platinum and you add a Gold, instead of having to use the Gold for its benefit, allow the Platinum card to have the same benefits as the Gold. That way, you only carry one card for all purposes? That would be some progress for me. That way, you can "construct" your ideal card. No reduction in fees, but a bit more "practical" as you don't have to think "Should I use my Gold instead since this is a restaurant?" etc...
This isn't a bad idea but Is it really *that* hard though? Restaurants/cafes/grocery stores - use the gold card. For most other major or important purchases and travel - use the Plat. I'm a minimalist when it comes to wallet size - just a slender leather pouch for my cards with attached money clip - but i'm easily able to accommodate several Amex cards + ID + bank cards w/out any bulky issues.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by PHLondoner
This isn't a bad idea but Is it really *that* hard though? Restaurants/cafes/grocery stores - use the gold card. For most other major or important purchases and travel - use the Plat. I'm a minimalist when it comes to wallet size - just a slender leather pouch for my cards with attached money clip - but i'm easily able to accommodate several Amex cards + ID + bank cards w/out any bulky issues.
Maybe I am an exception, but I carry a small card holder type of wallet for a Platinum, a Visa, an ID and the MTA card. And I think that's about it. Maybe it's not a big issue, but I would appreciate it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.