Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by eastindywalrus
Yep. Pretty remarkable for a card with such a significant annual fee. In fact, it's mind-blowing when you consider that the Chase Sapphire Preferred has Trip Delay and Trip Interruption coverage, along with primary CDW for rental cars.

If I were to purchase standalone travel insurance to cover the lack of such a benefit with the PRG, it would cost me more to use my PRG and purchase travel insurance than it would to just use my CSR and get the free insurance. That would hold true even for the Amex Plat, for which the flights would net 5 points per dollar instead of the 3 for the CSR.

The omission is glaring, to say the least.
I think trip delay and interruption is really specific to the person and the airports they're flying into. If they're heading into areas that get pounded all winter long with snow or storm problems during spring/fall then it might be a huge benefit. But if you're heading into airports that rarely see big delays or multiple days worth of being shut down, I'm not sure it's really as valuable as some think. That might actually be why Chase offers it on the lower end card, they might actually have looked at the numbers and found the actual amount of claims were so low that it wasn't really much of a cost to add that perk... now that doesn't explain why Amex doesn't offer it, but I suspect Chase has done some math on this one...

Also, have you figured out your return on it? How many flights were covered with the protection this year and how many times did you make a claim. Then how much total were the tickets and multiple that buy the missed 2x earn from Amex and what... maybe $0.015/MR pt since that should be a pretty easy number to get.

Of course it might be super important to some, but probably for the masses, the extra earn would be used more than the trip benefits....
Statman and Diplomatico like this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:58 pm

Dining Credits

I wonder if those will also be triggered by purchasing GC's from participating restaurants (despite official T&C). I'd expect restaurants to code all purchases the same way. Please share your DPs in this thread, when they become available.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by acarney
I think trip delay and interruption is really specific to the person and the airports they're flying into. If they're heading into areas that get pounded all winter long with snow or storm problems during spring/fall then it might be a huge benefit. But if you're heading into airports that rarely see big delays or multiple days worth of being shut down, I'm not sure it's really as valuable as some think. That might actually be why Chase offers it on the lower end card, they might actually have looked at the numbers and found the actual amount of claims were so low that it wasn't really much of a cost to add that perk... now that doesn't explain why Amex doesn't offer it, but I suspect Chase has done some math on this one...

Also, have you figured out your return on it? How many flights were covered with the protection this year and how many times did you make a claim. Then how much total were the tickets and multiple that buy the missed 2x earn from Amex and what... maybe $0.015/MR pt since that should be a pretty easy number to get.

Of course it might be super important to some, but probably for the masses, the extra earn would be used more than the trip benefits....
I am based out of LAX and have flown over 70k butt in the seat miles this year (85k miles last year) and have yet to encounter a situation where I rued booking the flight on my Platinum for 5x points vs. getting the insurance coverage from CSR or CSP. I typically fly non-stop flights so missed connections due to delays don't really affect me. Personally, I value the 5x points more than the trip delay insurance, but that analysis probably doesn't apply for someone who flies out of ORD, JFK, MSP, etc. in the winter time.

Also keep in mind that, CSR delay protection only kicks in after 6 hours of delay and if there is more than a two hour delay, I typically find that the airline will accommodate me by re-booking me on another flight. The delay insurance on the CSP is only available after 12 hours of delay and there is no way I would ever subject myself to a delay of the magnitude.
Diplomatico and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:40 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Javier1704
When did you apply? Just curious. I got approved on Oct 4th afternoon and still says:

REQUESTED ON

October 5, 2018

SHIPPING ADDRESS

Pending

SHIPPING METHOD

UPS
I think I applied on Friday.

I just got a UPS email saying I am having a package being overnighted for tomorrow delivery, though! So it looks like my card will be here tomorrow.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:41 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Happy
Your existing card works just fine, hence no reason for AMEX to expedite you the metal card replacement.
New applications rec'd card in 2 days IIRC when I got mine in late May thru a targeted offer.
This is a new application. I don't have a PRG card yet.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:43 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pallhedge
I pay for flights with my Chase CSR and happily take 3x UR points vs the 5x MR I could otherwise get with Amex Platinum. For my peace of mind, the travel insurance with the CSR is worth the fewer points.
Originally Posted by eastindywalrus
Yep. Pretty remarkable for a card with such a significant annual fee. In fact, it's mind-blowing when you consider that the Chase Sapphire Preferred has Trip Delay and Trip Interruption coverage, along with primary CDW for rental cars.

If I were to purchase standalone travel insurance to cover the lack of such a benefit with the PRG, it would cost me more to use my PRG and purchase travel insurance than it would to just use my CSR and get the free insurance. That would hold true even for the Amex Plat, for which the flights would net 5 points per dollar instead of the 3 for the CSR.

The omission is glaring, to say the least.
Wow I am shocked.

I use my Citi Prestige for all travel and have to use Trip Delay twice. Both times there was no hassle. It was awesome getting reimbursed for a hotel in Hong Kong @ $400/night!
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaxVO
I wonder if those will also be triggered by purchasing GC's from participating restaurants (despite official T&C). I'd expect restaurants to code all purchases the same way. Please share your DPs in this thread, when they become available.
We buy restaurant GCs all the time from the days when AMEX offers often had $10/$50 on restaurants to the more recent times restaurant chains offer $10 bonus card on $50 GC purchase during the holiday season as well as Mother's Day / Father's Day type promotion. All AMEX cards from Hilton to PRG coded it as restaurants and earned the corresponding bonus.
I see no reason why it would not continue because restaurants do not distinguish the transactions.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Statman
I am based out of LAX and have flown over 70k butt in the seat miles this year (85k miles last year) and have yet to encounter a situation where I rued booking the flight on my Platinum for 5x points vs. getting the insurance coverage from CSR or CSP. I typically fly non-stop flights so missed connections due to delays don't really affect me. Personally, I value the 5x points more than the trip delay insurance, but that analysis probably doesn't apply for someone who flies out of ORD, JFK, MSP, etc. in the winter time.

Also keep in mind that, CSR delay protection only kicks in after 6 hours of delay and if there is more than a two hour delay, I typically find that the airline will accommodate me by re-booking me on another flight. The delay insurance on the CSP is only available after 12 hours of delay and there is no way I would ever subject myself to a delay of the magnitude.
Same here. I usually fly from LAX (for the past 7 years) but have lived and flown from DSM and BWI before that. Just over the past 12+ years, I have had two instances where I was delayed significantly -- knock on wood. The first time was in Paris back in 2005 because of snow and Continental put us up in a hotel an gave us a nice voucher. The next time was when I was bumped from a flight because the airline had oversold and there were no takers. Even here, my delay was three hours, so a CSR type insurance would have been useless. On one of my mileage runs, I got sick. Sure, the CSR type insurance would have helped but my ticket was $200 and since I had not met my deductible, a doctor's visit would have cost me $150. So, I did not even bother.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by 355F1
I think I applied on Friday.

I just got a UPS email saying I am having a package being overnighted for tomorrow delivery, though! So it looks like my card will be here tomorrow.
Great! I just got a UPS email as well.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Statman
It also only covers unreimbursed expenses. So if the airline covers it, the CSR isn't going to pay out anything.

Even when I was based in a UX station tied to ORD and got hassled by weather pretty often, there's no way the trip interruption/delay insurance would be worth giving up the 2 extra MRs.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Happy
We buy restaurant GCs all the time from the days when AMEX offers often had $10/$50 on restaurants to the more recent times restaurant chains offer $10 bonus card on $50 GC purchase during the holiday season as well as Mother's Day / Father's Day type promotion. All AMEX cards from Hilton to PRG coded it as restaurants and earned the corresponding bonus.
I see no reason why it would not continue because restaurants do not distinguish the transactions.
I had the same reasons in mind thinking that these "Dining Credits" should be triggered by any in-store purchase. However the Terms now specifically exclude non-food and GC purchases, whereas AmEx Offers were not as clear. So actual DP's to confirm successful methods to trigger these would be very helpful.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Sinince
AMEX appears to be reimbursing those of us who opted into the dining credit when the benefits leaked early.

$15 GrubHub purchase on September 20; $10 "CR ADJ FOR BILLING INQUIR" on October 5.

Anyone know if we also get an October credit?
Did Grubhub code as dining for you?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:11 am

Not sure if someone else has posted yet. I made a grocery purchase at Kroger (including VGCs) on Oct 4, date this revamp went live. Amex has finally shown me that I indeed did get 4x MR back, and showed up as US Supermarkets.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:22 am

Just reviewing my latest posted purchases on my Gold after October 4th changeover and restaurants that I frequent where I was receiving 2X MR points before, I did not receive ANY MR bonus (obviously now supposed to be 4X). My statement closed yesterday, so hopefully these aren't locked in without gaining the bonuses? Anyone else not seeing bonuses posting where they should be?

Additional question...why don't they give the bonus points for cafes? Cafes serve sandwiches, soups, salads, etc. and, of course, coffee. It's odd b/c it categorizes the spend as a Restaurant in my statement, but it won't give me the bonus points?

Last edited by PHLondoner; Oct 9, 2018 at 10:23 am
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaxVO
I had the same reasons in mind thinking that these "Dining Credits" should be triggered by any in-store purchase. However the Terms now specifically exclude non-food and GC purchases, whereas AmEx Offers were not as clear. So actual DP's to confirm successful methods to trigger these would be very helpful.
I am not sure AMEX system can distinguish it when the merchant does not distinguish the transaction.

From the very few DPs I read (non English site), someone got a $10 credit for NOT having done any purchase! Hence the guy posted a question on what that was about. Another poster showed a phone app screen that $10 tricked on Shake Shack transaction of $17ish. That is all I have seen so far.
someone said he would buy one cheesecake every month. Thought this is a good idea to use the benefit.

Yes, would be nice someone could post the DPs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.