Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:21 pm

With these metal cards how do you destroy them when they expire? You can't cut them up. I thought we could send them back to AmEx for them to dispose of securely, but a AmEx rep said they don't dispose the metal cards for us.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:35 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by eastindywalrus
. I recognize that the Amex Platinum is Amex "Travel" card, but even it lacks basic trip interruption/delay insurance.
what!!????

The AMEX PLT HAS ZERO TRIP DELAY INSURANCE?????????

Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:37 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Magna
With these metal cards how do you destroy them when they expire? You can't cut them up. I thought we could send them back to AmEx for them to dispose of securely, but a AmEx rep said they don't dispose the metal cards for us.
Interesting.

Chase always sends an unmarked return envelope for you to safely return an expired CSR/CSP card when they send new cards out.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:42 am

The contactless operation might be rather tricky as the metal in the card is opaque to microwaves. I guess one side of the gold card must always face the contactless receiver, and any other position won't work.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by 355F1

what!!????

correct

Surprisingly, the Canadian amex plat has trip delay
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Magna
They do send you an envelope to destroy them. My friend had plat card but downgraded back to PRG and they sent him an envelope to send back plat
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by trikotret

They do send you an envelope to destroy them. My friend had plat card but downgraded back to PRG and they sent him an envelope to send back plat
Ok, good news, and makes sense. Obviously, the AmEx rep I spoke to was mistaken.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:18 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Got the email this morning telling me my card has shipped.

However, there is no tracking number, and it says 7-10 BUSINESS days.

I guess I am not important enough to get overnight or even express shipping. Haha.
JHake10 and strickerj like this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:33 am

I guess I am not important enough to get overnight or even express shipping. Haha.
They aren't expediting any of the newly requested cards. New applications are, though. I have my metal Gold card from my new app and it's the same as the Platinum contactless card.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold

I got approved for the PRG on oct 3 evening. On Oct 5 5:30am got the same email as you. Received the card Oct 5 afternoon. It was shipped UPS Next Day from Florida on Oct 4 and arrived in California on Oct 5.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards

When did you apply? Just curious. I got approved on Oct 4th afternoon and still says:

REQUESTED ON

October 5, 2018

SHIPPING ADDRESS

Pending

SHIPPING METHOD

UPS
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:54 am

what!!????

I pay for flights with my Chase CSR and happily take 3x UR points vs the 5x MR I could otherwise get with Amex Platinum. For my peace of mind, the travel insurance with the CSR is worth the fewer points.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your existing card works just fine, hence no reason for AMEX to expedite you the metal card replacement.
New applications rec'd card in 2 days IIRC when I got mine in late May thru a targeted offer.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pallhedge
I pay for flights with my Chase CSR and happily take 3x UR points vs the 5x MR I could otherwise get with Amex Platinum. For my peace of mind, the travel insurance with the CSR is worth the fewer points.
So as the domestic rental car CDW benefit.

IMO, AMEX still has a long way to go before it can level with Chase - for the starter, WHY many category bonuses are limited inside US? That just does not make sense at all.

I suppose many just automatically assume the Plat card provides the most coverage until they find out the reality.
pallhedge likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue

what!!????

Yep. Pretty remarkable for a card with such a significant annual fee. In fact, it's mind-blowing when you consider that the Chase Sapphire Preferred has Trip Delay and Trip Interruption coverage, along with primary CDW for rental cars.

If I were to purchase standalone travel insurance to cover the lack of such a benefit with the PRG, it would cost me more to use my PRG and purchase travel insurance than it would to just use my CSR and get the free insurance. That would hold true even for the Amex Plat, for which the flights would net 5 points per dollar instead of the 3 for the CSR.

The omission is glaring, to say the least.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.