Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:30 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by trikotret
....wondering if it's the same thickness as plat....
Understood, and I am raising the possibility that the observed difference may be due to the construction of the Contactless cards, rather than Gold versus Platinum. The Contactless cards are made with a layer of plastic bonded to the metal. The Contactless Platinum card may be the same as the Contactless Gold cards.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Understood, and I am raising the possibility that the observed difference may be due to the construction of the Contactless cards, rather than Gold versus Platinum. The Contactless cards are made with a layer of plastic bonded to the metal. The Contactless Platinum card may be the same as the Contactless Gold cards.
How do you use contactless in the USA? Is it basically supported everywhere that chips are? I would rather not scratch up my card all the time... but I don’t want to look like an idiot that doesn’t know how to swipe or inset his card...
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by acarney

How do you use contactless in the USA? Is it basically supported everywhere that chips are? I would rather not scratch up my card all the time... but I don’t want to look like an idiot that doesn’t know how to swipe or inset his card...
Not everywhere, but a lot of them. Also anywhere you see the slew of mobile payment options (they’re all the same base tech).
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:14 pm

Basically any terminal that accepts Apple Pay will accept the contactless EMV
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by mia
I don’t see any options to order a contactless Gold card.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Javier1704

I don’t see any options to order a contactless Gold card.
Contactless is mandatory with the metal Gold cards. You can see the logo in the images posted by trikotret.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
It’s become increasingly difficult with all of these great cards out there to decide where to put your spend! What a world we live in.

I don’t really value the Platinum benefits and since I earn points to never have to pay for flights, the 5x benefit isn’t useful to me. Prior to the PRG upgrade I was doing as follows:

CSR: Travel and Dining
BBP: Unbonused Spend + AMEX offers
Freedom: 5x categories
Ink Cash: the truly rare office store purchases
Citi Double Cash: merchandise purchases where I want price protection and 2 year extended warranty. In general no matter what I buy I always get a price rewind that works out to more than whatever rewards I would have earned from another card anyway

AMEX has done some great things with it’s offers lately. I use my BBP for gas even though Freedom was a 5x category this quarter. Why? I was getting 2x MR and 10% back on Exxon via AMEX offers. I am getting 3x MR on groceries with the BBP because Shop Rite has a 3x AMEX offer.

Now I’m looking at the following:

BBP: Unbonused spend
PRG: Dining and Groceries (hope Shop Rite AMEX offer comes along again but for this card so I get 5x)
CSR: downgrade to Freedom
Ink Cash: upgrade to Ink Preferred for 3x on travel
Freedoms for 5x categories
Citi Double Cash for price protection and extended warranty

Just not sure if keeping the CSR at $150/yr vs $95 year for the Ink Preferred is worth it. I find I never get to use Priority Pass lounges, and I’m grandfathered into the old January $300 reimbursement so my annual fee doesn’t post when I get the $300 credits. I know it’s mental accounting, but by the time my $450 AF shows up in August I’ve long forgotten I’ve gotten that $300 reimbursement...
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by tutkija80
Do you know if Apple Pay counts as “mobile wallet” or anything, or should I get the same bonus earning when using Apple Pay vs the physical card?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by acarney

Do you know if Apple Pay counts as “mobile wallet” or anything, or should I get the same bonus earning when using Apple Pay vs the physical card?
Should be the same as using physical card
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by jags86
It’s become increasingly difficult with all of these great cards out there to decide where to put your spend! What a world we live in.

Now I’m looking at the following:

BBP: Unbonused spend
PRG: Dining and Groceries (hope Shop Rite AMEX offer comes along again but for this card so I get 5x)
CSR: downgrade to Freedom
Ink Cash: upgrade to Ink Preferred for 3x on travel
Freedoms for 5x categories
Citi Double Cash for price protection and extended warranty

Just not sure if keeping the CSR at $150/yr vs $95 year for the Ink Preferred is worth it. I find I never get to use Priority Pass lounges, and I’m grandfathered into the old January $300 reimbursement so my annual fee doesn’t post when I get the $300 credits. I know it’s mental accounting, but by the time my $450 AF shows up in August I’ve long forgotten I’ve gotten that $300 reimbursement...
Absolutely! Its becoming more like algebra and calculus to maximize spend at this point - I honestly don't know if I care that much to get so complex (and also carry 5+ credit cards)

(Recently downgrade CSR to 2nd Freedom because I won't get travel credit till December) Will probably downgrade or cancel my AMEX Plat (unless retention bonus is great) and upgrade Freedom back to CSR to get travel credits and travel benefits/perks. Will use PRG for restaurants/groceries till then and will probably continue to keep PRG after first AF in June

Maybe look into City National Visa Infinite or Citi Prestige for churning and points accumulation next year...
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:21 pm

Shame they removed the raised numbers on the front. Always valuable for international travel
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:48 pm

Thought I read somewhere that Amex contactless transactions are limited to $30. Anyone have experience?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by tutkija80
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Strange, when I sent referral link for gold to a friend, he got the pop up. Then applied normally and approved. I've called amex and made a complaint that I was robbed of 10k points.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
(As far as I know there is no option to order the new Gold card without Contactless.)
I read on another forum that it's supposedly possible to get a non-contactless version of the new PRG card. No idea if that's actually the case or if it's just confused CSRs claiming such.

Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo
Not everywhere, but a lot of them. Also anywhere you see the slew of mobile payment options (they’re all the same base tech).
In my experience it's about 50/50. I wouldn't rely on using contactless anywhere that runs your card for you (like restaurants), however.

Originally Posted by cwh82
Thought I read somewhere that Amex contactless transactions are limited to $30. Anyone have experience?
I was able to do a Samsung Pay purchase for >$30 in NFC mode recently. I seem to remember being able to do the same by tapping my physical AmEx card, though since AmEx doesn't indicate anything other than mobile wallet use on their website I can't confirm for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.