Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by lax01
Mine shows delivery by Thursday 10/11 - it also does not look like you can request a metal Gold card anymore...they must have hit a limit after 10/4
Do you have a tracking number already?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Big question is: how will Chase respond? I suspect it will want to act quickly, as it appears that many people are rethinking the CSR now... I guess it just goes to show that nothing is "forever."
​​​​​​Would Chase respond with a separate UR earning card (say, one that has a permanent grocery bonus), or by adding benefits/rewards to the CSR?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by tmiw
​​​​​​Would Chase respond with a separate UR earning card (say, one that has a permanent grocery bonus), or by adding benefits/rewards to the CSR?
Most people I know with the CSR redeem points via the travel portal at 1.5cpp. With Chase, your 1 dollar at restaurants gets you 3 UR points which turns into 4.5% cash back for travel. With AMEX, your 1 dollar at restaurants get you 4 MR points which is variable depending on what you're redeeming for. Many of the people I know just did the math and confirmed the CSR was a better card for the way they are redeeming it.

With that said, I exclusively redeem via transfer partners. So this new Gold card makes a ton of sense for me.

AMEX MR system is not as straight forward as Chase UR (which is on purpose for breakage) and people don't want to be bothered. Especially when the CSR is still offering a better value proposition via travel portal redemptions.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10

Most people I know with the CSR redeem points via the travel portal at 1.5cpp. With Chase, your 1 dollar at restaurants gets you 3 UR points which turns into 4.5% cash back for travel. With AMEX, your 1 dollar at restaurants get you 4 MR points which is variable depending on what you're redeeming for. Many of the people I know just did the math and confirmed the CSR was a better card for the way they are redeeming it.

With that said, I exclusively redeem via transfer partners. So this new Gold card makes a ton of sense for me.

AMEX MR system is not as straight forward as Chase UR (which is on purpose for breakage) and people don't want to be bothered. Especially when the CSR is still offering a better value proposition via travel portal redemptions.
To be honest, CSR redemption are way better for people who aren’t interested in travelling first or business like I am. Transferring points directly to United is great for travel to Europe on Star Alliance members.

It’s hard for me to find good deals for my MR points on economy. But it’s possible with patience.

If you have the Amex Plat, Amex Gold and Amex BBP you’re getting way more points for when you are lucky enough to find the award flights.

Chase URs are very easy to use but Amex MRs are easier to build up and, with proper use, you can find good deals.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:11 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by lax01
Mine shows delivery by Thursday 10/11 - it also does not look like you can request a metal Gold card anymore...they must have hit a limit after 10/4
where did you get this info?

did they email it to you?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Javier1704

To be honest, CSR redemption are way better for people who aren’t interested in travelling first or business like I am. Transferring points directly to United is great for travel to Europe on Star Alliance members.

It’s hard for me to find good deals for my MR points on economy. But it’s possible with patience.

If you have the Amex Plat, Amex Gold and Amex BBP you’re getting way more points for when you are lucky enough to find the award flights.

Chase URs are very easy to use but Amex MRs are easier to build up and, with proper use, you can find good deals.
I agree. I like hunting for those Business and First class redemptions. Most people I know with the CSR just want to book an economy flight and be done with it. The setup you describe (Plat, Gold, BBP) is exactly what I will have once the Gold arrives. Adding the EDP can add marginal more value as well.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:23 pm

I agree. I like hunting for those Business and First class redemptions. Most people I know with the CSR just want to book an economy flight and be done with it. The setup you describe (Plat, Gold, BBP) is exactly what I will have once the Gold arrives. Adding the EDP can add marginal more value as well.
The only downside is that Amex is not as widely accepted as Visa both internationally and domestically. That’s when my CSR comes in handy.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:21 pm

The only downside is that Amex is not as widely accepted as Visa both internationally and domestically. That’s when my CSR comes in handy.
Yep. And AMEX bonus categories are USA only (assuming since they make most on swipe fees here). You'll always need a Visa/MC regardless of what AMEX marketing materials say.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold

Very helpful analysis--thank you!
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by 355F1

where did you get this info?

did they email it to you?
Right, I didn't get any email.for card being shipped. Weird.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:31 pm

Have anyone received their Gold card yet? I applied Thursday night and it says "Pending", Shipping Method: UPS. Didn't know that Amex would also expedite it as they do with the Platinum.
Where do you check this?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by nall
Where do you check this?
Go like if you were to request a new card: account services -> replace lost or damaged card and expand your card. Shipping details should be there.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:43 pm

Go like if you were to request a new card: account services -> replace lost or damaged card and expand your card. Shipping details should be there.
Huh, I've never been able to add a new card to my American Express account until I have said card in my possession.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by nall
Huh, I've never been able to add a new card to my American Express account until I have said card in my possession.
Did Amex sent you an email when they approved your application? Click on “set up an online account now” in the email body, fill the info and then log in with your credentials.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 9:29 pm

Did Amex sent you an email when they approved your application? Click on “set up an online account now” in the email body, fill the info and then log in with your credentials.
I had tried adding the card manually on the site, no go. But that worked - thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.