Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2021, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by JRV62
Has anyone been able to get reimbursed for Saks off 5th purchases recently?
I don't think Saks off fifth has ever been eligible. What I do is buy a $50 gift card at an actual Saks and use that at off fifth
Points Scrounger likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 11:50 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I don't think Saks off fifth has ever been eligible. What I do is buy a $50 gift card at an actual Saks and use that at off fifth
I think a few months ago there was a trick to get it to work. IIRC PayPal was involved.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 11:51 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by highops
I think a few months ago there was a trick to get it to work. IIRC PayPal was involved.
However there was a report that this workaround may be dead, one page back in post 1044.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 3:26 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by highops
Correct, as long as you paid with paypal it worked, I saw the one data point a couple of posts up but don't know if it is a one off...
Old Sep 27, 2021, 3:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by JRV62
Correct, as long as you paid with paypal it worked, I saw the one data point a couple of posts up but don't know if it is a one off...
My friend recently tried the Saks Off 5th workaround with Paypal and it has been two weeks and nothing has posted for a credit. I did the same thing in July when my credit renewed and I got my credit within 3 days. I'm assuming it is now dead...
Old Sep 27, 2021, 4:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Chris2013
My friend recently tried the Saks Off 5th workaround with Paypal and it has been two weeks and nothing has posted for a credit. I did the same thing in July when my credit renewed and I got my credit within 3 days. I'm assuming it is now dead...
Somebody else reported it dead. So, yes it doesn't work and now everyone has to go to the real Saks site and order all that high priced stuff
Old Sep 27, 2021, 4:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Somebody else reported it dead. So, yes it doesn't work and now everyone has to go to the real Saks site and order all that high priced stuff
Unfortunate as there is rarely anything on the Saks site I would pay full price for.

If anyone is looking for a way to blow it, Saks recently had a discount on the Tumi Split Travel Kit (toiletry bag) which is really quite nice. I picked one up in July to replace an old toiletry kit I had and really liked how it was laid out. Perfect for a trip. Normally I think they're $125 but was able to snag mine for $80 minus the $50 credit so $30 out of pocket. Good buy, I'd recommend it to anyone looking to utilize the credit with nominal out-of-pocket spend.
DrForce likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 5:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Unfortunate as there is rarely anything on the Saks site I would pay full price for.

If anyone is looking for a way to blow it, Saks recently had a discount on the Tumi Split Travel Kit (toiletry bag) which is really quite nice. I picked one up in July to replace an old toiletry kit I had and really liked how it was laid out. Perfect for a trip. Normally I think they're $125 but was able to snag mine for $80 minus the $50 credit so $30 out of pocket. Good buy, I'd recommend it to anyone looking to utilize the credit with nominal out-of-pocket spend.
Not a bad kit. And not too big. Thanks.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Not a bad kit. And not too big. Thanks.
I’ve found it to be great when traveling alone. Fits all my toiletries well and doesn’t take up much space.

I will say I did use my other $50 credit for the Alpha 3 hanging travel kit when traveling with my family. Fits all of the bottles my wife insists on bringing.

Luckily Saks often has sales so don’t pay MSRP.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's been discussed above, but beauty/personal care products are a good use of the credit, as it's easy to find 1-2 items that aren't much over $50 total. Brands like Kiehl's, Molton Brown, aesop, Clinique, etc.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
It's been discussed above, but beauty/personal care products are a good use of the credit, as it's easy to find 1-2 items that aren't much over $50 total. Brands like Kiehl's, Molton Brown, aesop, Clinique, etc.
I definitely should not tell my wife this...
Old Sep 28, 2021, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I definitely should not tell my wife this...
She should definitely go for some La Prairie or La Mer face cream! Don't you want her to be beautiful?!
Old Sep 28, 2021, 4:10 pm

She should definitely go for some La Prairie or La Mer face cream! Don't you want her to be beautiful?!
I'd rather her not be too beautiful or she'll leave me for someone wealthier and more attractive .
Old Sep 29, 2021, 8:23 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Saks Friends and Family Sale

Currently Saks is having their "Friends and Family" sale which includes 15% off most beauty items so now may be a good time to use your $50.00 credit.
ijgordon, murphy, 355F1 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 1:47 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by gnomie
Currently Saks is having their "Friends and Family" sale which includes 15% off most beauty items so now may be a good time to use your $50.00 credit.
haha….thanks for the post gnomie I use La Mer products and needed a new lip balm as my current one is about done. Rarely is La Mer included in any sales.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.