Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2021, 2:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
In chicago for the weekend so walked to says to buy my gift card. As soon as I said I wanted a gift card and the clerk saw it was an am ex she said “I bet. You want it for $50 and don’t care about type of card”. She said she has had a lot of $50 am ex gift card sales this month. She agreed with me it’s free money. Wish they still had the off fifth on state street so I could use these cards
My wife needed to buy a gift card in early July because she was canceling the card.

You cannot convince the associates not to box and wrap the card. It must be a brand standard enforced by the management locally.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by murphy
Yeah, I wound up disputing it after 2 months. Amex asked me to submit proof that Saks had promised me a refund. I attached a copy of the email Saks had sent, and Amex approved the dispute and removed the original charge. So all’s well that ends well. Saks could stand to take some customer service lessons from Amex.
I encountered something similar recently. Saks agent over chat approved price match and promised refund of specific amount back to amex card. Second day verified again over chat and they confirmed price match approved and I should see refund in 15-20 days. 20 days later, no refund so contacted Saks and they tell me "Oh the agent made a mistake, the item later went OOS on competitor so we later rejected your approved claim and we won't be sending a refund". Disputed and sent all chat screenshots as proof of saks promising a refund. Saks responds back with initial receipt and delivery proof and Amex calls that sufficient to rule in favor of Saks. I don't see any mention of the refund promise by the merchant and I am surprised how American Express is being ignorant of those screenshots. I spoke to another chat rep on Amex and they reviewed the doc and agree Saks promised a refund and failed to provide one. I have reopened the dispute asking for a response on the price match part so let's see if they review it fairly or again side by Saks blindly.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 10:44 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by highops
My wife needed to buy a gift card in early July because she was canceling the card.

You cannot convince the associates not to box and wrap the card. It must be a brand standard enforced by the management locally.
At the customer service desk on the main floor of the 5th Ave mothership, they don't even bat an eye at my buying three $50 gift cards in three transactions, all with Google Pay. Certainly no requirement that I get it boxed.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
At the customer service desk on the main floor of the 5th Ave mothership, they don't even bat an eye at my buying three $50 gift cards in three transactions, all with Google Pay. Certainly no requirement that I get it boxed.
Ditto. They just hand me the card and the receipt.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 11:35 am

I buy my gift cards online and the last two I received only came in an envelope, no gift box like the previous ones. These have all been for $250.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by highops

It just depends who you get. It seems like many are used to us Plat holders stopping by. My last two trips to the Chicago location they didn't even offer to box it.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 2:51 pm

Bought two $50 cards from the SF store, but they told me they couldn't split the charge for a $100 card.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sharks
...but they told me they couldn't split the charge for a $100 card.
That's BS. They definitely can. I did it in July.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 5:01 pm

Looks like the party might be over for the PayPal workaround at Saks Off 5th. Just used PayPal for a few things there last week (that I thankfully would have bought anyway) and the charge posted as PAYPAL *SAKSOFF5THL 4029357733 NY. No reimbursement has posted and I don't expect one to but will update should it happen.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 7:54 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by volabam
Looks like the party might be over for the PayPal workaround at Saks Off 5th. Just used PayPal for a few things there last week (that I thankfully would have bought anyway) and the charge posted as PAYPAL *SAKSOFF5THL 4029357733 NY. No reimbursement has posted and I don't expect one to but will update should it happen.
Thanks for the heads up. Was literally going to order something today
volabam likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Sharks
Bought two $50 cards from the SF store, but they told me they couldn't split the charge for a $100 card.
I did a $150 card split between 3 cards...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 6:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Saks off 5th

Has anyone been able to get reimbursed for Saks off 5th purchases recently?
Old Sep 27, 2021, 4:50 am
Suspended

I haven't been following this thread, but am I reading this correctly that I can buy $50 saks fifth ave gift card online using Amex Plat card and get reimbursed? In the past I have bought real items online, not gift cards.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Mama
I haven't been following this thread, but am I reading this correctly that I can buy $50 saks fifth ave gift card online using Amex Plat card and get reimbursed? In the past I have bought real items online, not gift cards.
According to the wiki, physical gift card purchase on-line has a minimum of $150 (e-gift cards do not qualify for reimbursement.)
krazykanuck and Arsene Wenger like this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by JRV62
Has anyone been able to get reimbursed for Saks off 5th purchases recently?
I don't think Saks off fifth has ever been eligible. What I do is buy a $50 gift card at an actual Saks and use that at off fifth
Points Scrounger likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.