Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2021, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Perhaps you could use them at Saks Off 5th, getting a single Saks Off card upon return, if that's an option for you?

Despite the snotty clerk's retort, I believe there are actual Saks sale goods online below $100.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 7:28 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Georgeddd
The cashier laughed at me and said: there is nothing below $100 here.
As someone who shops at SFA quite often and buys many gifts there, I can assure you that there are plenty of things to purchase for under $100 - check out the cosmetics/perfume department, lingerie, the gift department, the children's department, men's accessories and women's casual wear. While true there are some department where finding anything under $500 is a challenge, with little effort it is not that difficult to find reasonably priced items.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Georgeddd
So I have two $50 Saks gift card now. Can they combine them to one $100 card?
Even if you can't there's really no need to. You can use as many cards as you want for in store purchases, and of there's a limit online, I haven't found it yet.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Perhaps you could use them at Saks Off 5th, getting a single Saks Off card upon return, if that's an option for you?
Saks OFF 5TH does not qualify.

From the Benefit Terms online:
"Valid at Saks Fifth Avenue online or at locations in the US and US Territories. Not valid on Saks Fifth Avenue Gift Cards or purchases at outlet locations (in stores and online)."
And from the printed The Platinum Card Welcome Kit:
"Valid at Saks Fifth Avenue online or at locations in the US and US Territories. Not valid on Saks Fifth Avenue Gift Cards or purchases at Saks OFF 5TH Avenue Store locations and saksoff5th.com."
Old Oct 16, 2021, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Petdog
Saks OFF 5TH does not qualify.

From the Benefit Terms online:
"Valid at Saks Fifth Avenue online or at locations in the US and US Territories. Not valid on Saks Fifth Avenue Gift Cards or purchases at outlet locations (in stores and online)."
And from the printed The Platinum Card Welcome Kit:
"Valid at Saks Fifth Avenue online or at locations in the US and US Territories. Not valid on Saks Fifth Avenue Gift Cards or purchases at Saks OFF 5TH Avenue Store locations and saksoff5th.com."
I was suggesting using Saks cards at Saks Off, returning the item(s), and walking away with SaksOff credit. I can assure you that Saks cards work at both retail and online SaksOff.

What you cannot do is use a Plat card at SaksOff (directly) to trigger the $50 offset.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 4:43 pm

Points Scrounger I misunderstood. I fully agree with you.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 7:21 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Can you use the $50 credits to offset the cost of a SaksWorks membership or day pass, either directly with the Platinum Card or via a giftcard?
Old Oct 21, 2021, 6:32 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Ordered on 10/16, item arrived 10/18, charge fully posted and back dated to 10/16 on 10/19. It’s now 10/21 and still no credit appearing online.

Purchase was on the Saxs website for $79

Am I just being too impatient?
Old Oct 21, 2021, 11:30 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Ordered on 10/16, item arrived 10/18, charge fully posted and back dated to 10/16 on 10/19. It’s now 10/21 and still no credit appearing online.

Purchase was on the Saxs website for $79

Am I just being too impatient?
Posted later this morning.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

FYI - Saks GCs may no longer work in person at Off 5th. I was at Off 5th today and tried to pay with a couple of Saks GCs (bought at the full line store for the Amex credit) and the transaction wouldn't go thru. After swiping the pin pad said "transaction cancelled" and the sales rep wasn't able to override it. She said this change was made about a year ago, and fair enough its been about 20 months since I tried using a Saks GC in store. They still work on the Off 5th website though - I placed an order a couple days ago that was delivered today.

Would appreciate more data points on this, if it is in fact a hard coded change, or just my one local location.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
FYI - Saks GCs may no longer work in person at Off 5th. I was at Off 5th today and tried to pay with a couple of Saks GCs (bought at the full line store for the Amex credit) and the transaction wouldn't go thru. After swiping the pin pad said "transaction cancelled" and the sales rep wasn't able to override it. She said this change was made about a year ago, and fair enough its been about 20 months since I tried using a Saks GC in store. They still work on the Off 5th website though - I placed an order a couple days ago that was delivered today.

Would appreciate more data points on this, if it is in fact a hard coded change, or just my one local location.
I used Saks gift cards at an Off Fifth store with no problem this past summer, August I believe.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by krazykanuck

I used my Saks gift card at the Off Fifth in NYC in September with no problem.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Hmm ok thanks. Maybe just this one store or one funky gift card.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 10:35 pm

Coincidentally checked rakuten while trying to burn my credit. 10% cash back on saks as of now.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 5:36 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by gsxsilver
Coincidentally checked rakuten while trying to burn my credit. 10% cash back on saks as of now.
thanks! Had just been planning my purchase for this half of the year and was sitting on it waiting for something like this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.