Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hilton co-branded card upgrade/downgrade [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton co-branded card upgrade/downgrade [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:11 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by IDM79
My NAF card upgrade offer to the Aspire pops up in my online account. If that's what you're asking. I wonder if I should try asking if I can change that upgrade offer to an Ascend.
What do you mean pops up? From another popup windows?

Normally we see upgrade offer at AmEx offer, such as $150 for you to upgrade BCE to BCP etc. Or under the new card, it lists the options "upgrade to this card" instead of "apply card".

The 75,000 NAF card to Ascend was part of the AmEx offers. Then removed. The agent would give to you if you call the phone number on the back of your card.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Currently I'm waiting for my new Aspire card and its 150,000 point bonus I was just approved for last week. Today I check on my AMEX accounts and see a 150,000 point bonus offer to upgrade my NAF Hilton card to the Aspire. (I just downgraded my previous Ascend to that NAF only a month ago!) Read the fine print and nothing about not being eligible if you've ever had the card before, as is usual with these upgrade offers, but it also didn't say anything about not qualifying if you already have an Aspire. So I guess my question is, are you allowed to hold 2 Aspires at the same time and also receive the second bonus for the upgraded one? Is that something they'll catch after the fact even though the fine print doesn't address this situation specifically? Not sure I want to add another $4,000 in MS right now anyway, but if the offer is still around in a month or so I think I'd seriously consider taking another 150,000 points and a free night if possible.
Yup, that is standard procedure from American Express. The upgrades do not have the once in a lifetime language. In the pre Aspire days, the blogosphere would often recommend applying for Surpass first, then the NAF card and cancelling Surpass. The member would eventually be offered an upgrade to Surpass. Even though the member had the Surpass card before, they were still eligible for the Surpass upgrade bonus.

However, I've never heard of someone holding two of the same Hilton card at the same time. I see no harm in trying, but I expect the AmEx computer will not actually allow the second Aspire application to go through.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: AOPA
Upgraded my regular HH card a month ago to ascend for 75,000/2k, today I got an offer from Amex’s website upgrade the ascend to aspire for 150,000/4K. Thinking about applying the aspire with public offer than the upgrade.

Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by teddy25
Upgraded my regular HH card a month ago to ascend for 75,000/2k, today I got an offer from Amex’s website upgrade the ascend to aspire for 150,000/4K. Thinking about applying the aspire with public offer than the upgrade.

As I mentioned above, I just received the 150,000 upgrade offer to the Aspire only a week or so after I'd applied for that card as a new application. I definitely would have taken the upgrade offer if I'd know it was going to show up because with the upgrade offer I wouldn't have had to cancel one of my other AMEX cards to make room for the Aspire. So, unless you need the specific Hilton Ascend card for whatever reason, you might want to think about that angle if you're like me and are maxed out on AMEX cards.Or have no reason to pay the extra $95 for the Ascend.

Last edited by IDM79; Sep 22, 2018 at 11:34 am
Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
What do you mean pops up? From another popup windows?

Normally we see upgrade offer at AmEx offer, such as $150 for you to upgrade BCE to BCP etc. Or under the new card, it lists the options "upgrade to this card" instead of "apply card".

The 75,000 NAF card to Ascend was part of the AmEx offers. Then removed. The agent would give to you if you call the phone number on the back of your card.
Not a pop up window. It's just one of those in my list of usual offers and it would also be highlighted at the top of my account page when it first showed up on the list.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Not a pop up window. It's just one of those in my list of usual offers and it would also be highlighted at the top of my account page when it first showed up on the list.
Here is my upgrade offer of the BCE. It is part of the AmEx offer. Yours like this?

Top of the page:

lmwong1977 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:29 pm

Here is my upgrade offer of the BCE. It is part of the AmEx offer. Yours like this?

Top of the page:

Yup. Only mine is the 150,000 Aspire upgrade offer. (Annual fee NOT waived of course. lol)
Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:28 pm

As I mentioned above, I just received the 150,000 upgrade offer to the Aspire only a week or so after I'd applied for that card as a new application. I definitely would have taken the upgrade offer if I'd know it was going to show up because with the upgrade offer I wouldn't have had to cancel one of my other AMEX cards to make room for the Aspire. So, unless you need the specific Hilton Ascend card for whatever reason, you might want to think about that angle if you're like me and are maxed out on AMEX cards.Or have no reason to pay the extra $95 for the Ascend.
My wife has a upgrade to ASCEND offer for 150K sitting in her account today...............just grabbed it, hopefully there is no issue getting the points
RedSun likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer4512
My wife has a upgrade to ASCEND offer for 150K sitting in her account today...............just grabbed it, hopefully there is no issue getting the points
Are you sure it is for ASCEND? Last night I saw ours have ASPIRE 150K upgrade but the previous Ascend was gone. I had the previously available Ascend Upgrade Offer bookmarked, but now the link said Offer Expired.

EDIT
Never mind. I found the 150K Ascent Upgrade via another method.

Bottom line, can upgrade to either Ascend or Aspire with the same 150K bonus. Tough decision as I do feel Aspire is more valuable than Ascend, but we wont have any FS Hilton family stay the remaining of 2018... This makes Aspire a tougher choice. Actually makes upgrade to either one a tough choice due to no need for status for the rest of 2018. No reason to incur AF when not using the benefits.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 22, 2018 at 8:37 pm
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:36 pm
Suspended

I do not see it, only the BCE which I have no plan to upgrade now.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Are you sure it is for ASCEND? Last night I saw ours have ASPIRE 150K upgrade but the previous Ascend was gone. I had the previously available Ascend Upgrade Offer bookmarked, but now the link said Offer Expired.

EDIT
Never mind. I found the 150K Ascent Upgrade via another method.

Bottom line, can upgrade to either Ascend or Aspire with the same 150K bonus. Tough decision as I do feel Aspire is more valuable than Ascend, but we wont have any FS Hilton family stay the remaining of 2018... This makes Aspire a tougher choice. Actually makes upgrade to either one a tough choice due to no need for status for the rest of 2018. No reason to incur AF when not using the benefits.
It's Ascend and I have a feeling if we upgrade to the Ascend card first we will then get the Aspire upgrade offer at a later time . We need Gold For April 2019 and would not be able to use the $250 Aspire Hilton Resort credit within 12 months ( which means paying 2 AF's) as we have $700 in Barclay points to use for room charges by June 2019.

Right now the 150K Ascend Offer is the best for us. 150K to upgrade with no hard pull, no Amex denying the bonus ( I asked the rep to read my wife's upgrade bonus via chat with no leading questions and he/she replied 150K /92 days ) and also the AF the first year is pro rated, my dad paid a ~ $39 AF the first year for the Ascend via the upgrade.

If you upgrade now you will have Gold/Diamond until 3/31/2020 provided you don't cancel before April 2019.

I'm not sure how any possible claw back would work if you cancel too early especially in our case where the points will be transferred to my account as soon as they post.

I do not see it, only the BCE which I have no plan to upgrade now.
My wife's Ascend off was located at the top of the page yesterday whereas the offer I used for my dad in June was located in AMEX offers where other discounts for using the card are.

Last edited by flyer4512; Sep 23, 2018 at 12:17 pm
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:52 am

It's Ascend and I have a feeling if we upgrade to the Ascend card first we will then get the Aspire upgrade offer at a later time . We need Gold For April 2019 and would not be able to use the $250 Aspire Hilton Resort credit within 12 months ( which means paying 2 AF's) as we have $700 in Barclay points to use for room charges by June 2019.

Right now the 150K Ascend Offer is the best for us. 150K to upgrade with no hard pull, no Amex denying the bonus ( I asked the rep to read my wife's upgrade bonus via chat with no leading questions and he/she replied 150K /92 days ) and also the AF the first year is pro rated, my dad paid a ~ $39 AF the first year for the Ascend via the upgrade.

My wife's Ascend off was located at the top of the page yesterday whereas the offer I used for my dad in June was located in AMEX offers where other discounts for using the card are.

Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree on the theory of the upgrade sequence. It is very possible that it would go the path.

The T&Cs indeed mention about the pro-rate annual fee. It is based on when the anniversary date of the existing card. I could not remember when was the anniversary date of the free card which has gone thru one iteration of upgrading to Surplus and then on the 13th month downgraded back to the free version. Just checked, the anniversary date may be in May 2017 as that was when the Surplus was billed its 2nd year and then we downgraded it back to no fee, receiving 11 months credit in June 2017.

The offer was not found in AMEX account which only showed Aspire. However when I went to a link that was 150K on Ascend new application, it invited me to log in. Upon logged in it showed an upgrade to the Ascend card but without any information on the bonus. I then back page a couple times - then I saw the upgrade offer in my name with the last digits of my card identified. So it is not a direct way but the offer indeed exists and would show up if one's account is eligible.

Good point on the status duration. If past history is of any guide, it would last thru Mar 2020. We will stay at Marriott family properties thru Jan 2020 though if at all possible after I went for a mattress run challenge to return to Marriott top status due to the balance of our SPG pts and the few travel packages we redeemed. There is also the issue to meet the spend. Already paid the Sept estimate tax AND car insurance last week. The HOA can only be paid in cash (i.e. check) No CC accepted even willing to pay an extra fee. Have to wait till at least Dec to have large spend.

First world dilemma.
Beachmom333 likes this.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 23, 2018 at 6:26 pm
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Agree on the theory of the upgrade sequence. It is very possible that it would go the path.

The T&Cs indeed mention about the pro-rate annual fee. It is based on when the anniversary date of the existing card. I could not remember when was the anniversary date of the free card which has gone thru one iteration of upgrading to Surplus and then on the 13th month downgraded back to the free version.

Good point on the status duration. If past history is of any guide, it would last thru Mar 2020. We will stay at Marriott family properties thru Jan 2020 though if at all possible after I went for a mattress run challenge to return to Marriott top status due to the balance of our SPG pts and the few travel packages we redeemed.

First world dilemma.
IMO 150K is an incredible upgrade offer...............rarely ( if ever) do we see upgrade bonuses as good or better than the bonus for signing up via a new app. Since the first year will cost less than $95 this is a better offer.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
IMO 150K is an incredible upgrade offer...............rarely ( if ever) do we see upgrade bonuses as good or better than the bonus for signing up via a new app. Since the first year will cost less than $95 this is a better offer.
Here's a caution for those who get this offer. Don't delay. I got the offer by clicking on a link in an Amex Hilton email I got today. Page said offer might not be available if I navigated away from the page so I left the tab open while I did some research, including finding this portion of the thread with recent reports. With a delay of no more than 10 minutes, I clicked on the upgrade link and was told the offer was no longer available. What was left was an upgrade offer with no points, which I have no intention of using.

Oh well, you never know when the roulette wheel will spin in my favor again. . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.