Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hilton co-branded card upgrade/downgrade [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, MileagePlus Silver & Others.

Hey guys,

I've had the Amex Surpass and got the bonus--I canceled it this January (2014).

I also have the normal Amex Hilton card.

I understand that it is too short a time period to apply again for the Surpass bonus (and with the new changes, I won't be able to churn the Surpass at all for a new bonus), BUT I was wondering: Can I upgrade my current Hilton Honors Amex to the Surpass and get the 50,000 point bonus?

Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, WN CP
Originally Posted by suspire
Hey guys,

I understand that it is too short a time period to apply again for the Surpass bonus (and with the new changes, I won't be able to churn the Surpass at all for a new bonus), BUT I was wondering: Can I upgrade my current Hilton Honors Amex to the Surpass and get the 50,000 point bonus?

Thanks!
I do not believe so. you have to cancel and get a new Amex account.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by suspire
Hey guys,

Thanks!
Just upgraded myself last week. Somewhere on my AMEX account page I found a link to upgrade my current Hilton AMEX to the Surpass for 50K bonus. Did it right there and then and was approved for upgrade in minutes.

Then sent message to AMEX saying how I upgraded but just got email for Surpass and 75K bonus (true story), but they would not match. Getting 1 cent for each Hilton point on a upcoming reward stay so I found the points valuable while avoiding another app.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, MileagePlus Silver & Others.
Originally Posted by smedleyb
Just upgraded myself last week. Somewhere on my AMEX account page I found a link to upgrade my current Hilton AMEX to the Surpass for 50K bonus. Did it right there and then and was approved for upgrade in minutes.

Then sent message to AMEX saying how I upgraded but just got email for Surpass and 75K bonus (true story), but they would not match. Getting 1 cent for each Hilton point on a upcoming reward stay so I found the points valuable while avoiding another app.
Did you previously have the Surpass and cancel it within the last 12 months? That's the big question, since I had it, got the bonus and then only canceled it 3 months ago.
Old May 1, 2014, 3:44 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamon, IHG Spire
Does anyone have the upgrade link from the free version to Surpass for 75k? I only have the link for 50k.
Old May 1, 2014, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by johnnie198x
Does anyone have the upgrade link from the free version to Surpass for 75k? I only have the link for 50k.
there isn't one
Old May 3, 2014, 1:54 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...canexpress.com
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:49 am

I had just upgraded to the Hilton Honors Ascend Card (with 75k bonus for $2k spending in 3 months). I haven't received the physical card yet, but does any spending on the old card now count towards the spending bonus for the new Ascend card (the account number is the same) or do I have to wait to activate the new physical card?

I asked Amex via chat and they said yes any spending on the old card now counts, but wanted to see if anyone has experience with this as I have a large bill to pay today.

I assume the same logic would apply to any Amex upgrade offers, not just the Hilton Ascend. Thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If the online account shows that you have an Ascend account, that's what you have. The physical card is just a piece of plastic.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:36 pm

Yes that's the case. Thanks for the quick response!
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:31 pm

Hilton Amex (free) to Ascend upgrade bonus?

Has anyone who had the Surpass card in the past been able to upgrade the regular HH Amex to Ascend and get the 75K points ?

I upgraded my dad today via an email he received and when I chatted they could not find the 75K offer on his account.

They said give it a couple days but I have my doubts.

Thanks
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by flyer4512
.... they could not find the 75K offer on his account.
Is there a 75,000 point upgrade offer?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Yes there is/ was. I saw the offer showing up under each of our basic cards for many weeks, probably close to 2 months before they finally disappeared. You can only see it with the latest site - it does not show up with the much olded site which I continue to use as it is far more functional.

We did not take it because we dont forsee any probability we would stay at a full service Hilton property as the card's primarily usage to us would be the instant Gold status due to HHonor is a pure revenue-based system - there is no reason to pile up pts (and pay $95 AF) before we use up the existing balances. I feel confident we will see the upgrade offer again as the upgrade offer showed up when it was still $65 AF and AMEX reminded you that it would be $95 after certain date...
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by mia

Yes, it's in the AMEX offers on all ( my dad, wife and me) of our NAF HH card accounts and we also all received emails recently with the offer.

Dear XXXXX,
We appreciate your loyalty. You’ve been selected to request an upgrade to the Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card. Earn 75,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points after you spend $2,000 in purchases on the Card within your first three months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/2018.1 Enjoy benefits that can make travel even more rewarding for an annual fee of $95.

Or call 1-866-252-4438 and mention POID GAUK:0001
mia likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
I went for this offer online in April and within the past week or so I got the 75000 points to post to my Hilton account, within a couple days after passing the $2000 of required purchases (in the middle of a statement cycle).

But I never had a Surpass card before, so I can't comment on the OP's question, except to say that in the days of the Surpass, many people upgraded several times over the years (after downgrading back to the no-AF) and got the bonus each time, even after the lifetime language appeared on from-scratch applications. So it's not clear if the lifetime language applies to online upgrades. I guess you have to check the T&Cs carefully.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.