Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hilton co-branded card upgrade/downgrade [Consolidated]

Hilton co-branded card upgrade/downgrade [Consolidated]

Old Sep 4, 18, 8:45 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Posts: 1,273
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
The Ascend is only worth keeping if it offers free night. Not having to earn it.

I'll pay the partial AF. I do not even know what my card year is since my card is free card. Take the 75k points, wait for a year and back to the base card, or wait for the Aspire upgrade offer.

Hilton is only supplimentary, mainly in NYC or large cities
If you stay Hilton a lot, I would definitely recommend the Aspire. Even if you didn't stay at Hilton a lot, you can still get a ton of value out of the card.
Super Mario is offline  
Old Sep 5, 18, 12:49 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 251
Don't see the upgrade offer anymore. Didn't know there was an expiration date.
lyst is offline  
Old Sep 5, 18, 4:57 pm
  #33  
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 4,412
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
If you stay Hilton a lot, I would definitely recommend the Aspire. Even if you didn't stay at Hilton a lot, you can still get a ton of value out of the card.
Yes, it is a good card. I just have so much invested in Marriott and have 4 $450+ card AFs to pay. Need to control it.
RedSun is offline  
Old Sep 20, 18, 4:38 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,228
Originally Posted by mia View Post
I assume SUB means Sign Up Bonus.

To my knowledge American Express is only disqualifying new account application bonuses, not upgrades. The concept shouldn't apply to any type of targeted offer.

Has anyone seen any Hilton NAF to Ascend upgrade offers ? I used one for my dad in June ( he received the points) but I don't have any in my offers on Amex.com and can't find any links that INCLUDE points for upgrading.

Last edited by flyer4512; Sep 20, 18 at 6:24 pm
flyer4512 is offline  
Old Sep 20, 18, 6:25 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,228
Originally Posted by flyer4512 View Post
Has anyone who had the Surpass card in the past been able to upgrade the regular HH Amex to Ascend and get the 75K points ?

I upgraded my dad today via an email he received and when I chatted they could not find the 75K offer on his account.

They said give it a couple days but I have my doubts.

Thanks
Just to update he was given the 75K HH points to upgrade back in June
flyer4512 is offline  
Old Sep 21, 18, 4:16 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oregon, USA
Programs: Hilton Honors
Posts: 157
Currently I'm waiting for my new Aspire card and its 150,000 point bonus I was just approved for last week. Today I check on my AMEX accounts and see a 150,000 point bonus offer to upgrade my NAF Hilton card to the Aspire. (I just downgraded my previous Ascend to that NAF only a month ago!) Read the fine print and nothing about not being eligible if you've ever had the card before, as is usual with these upgrade offers, but it also didn't say anything about not qualifying if you already have an Aspire. So I guess my question is, are you allowed to hold 2 Aspires at the same time and also receive the second bonus for the upgraded one? Is that something they'll catch after the fact even though the fine print doesn't address this situation specifically? Not sure I want to add another $4,000 in MS right now anyway, but if the offer is still around in a month or so I think I'd seriously consider taking another 150,000 points and a free night if possible.
IDM79 is offline  
Old Sep 21, 18, 6:10 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,228
Originally Posted by IDM79 View Post
Currently I'm waiting for my new Aspire card and its 150,000 point bonus I was just approved for last week. Today I check on my AMEX accounts and see a 150,000 point bonus offer to upgrade my NAF Hilton card to the Aspire. (I just downgraded my previous Ascend to that NAF only a month ago!) Read the fine print and nothing about not being eligible if you've ever had the card before, as is usual with these upgrade offers, but it also didn't say anything about not qualifying if you already have an Aspire. So I guess my question is, are you allowed to hold 2 Aspires at the same time and also receive the second bonus for the upgraded one? Is that something they'll catch after the fact even though the fine print doesn't address this situation specifically? Not sure I want to add another $4,000 in MS right now anyway, but if the offer is still around in a month or so I think I'd seriously consider taking another 150,000 points and a free night if possible.

My GUESS is that if you attempt to upgrade you will be denied the 2nd Aspire as that offer was sent while you did not hold the Aspire card.

Since the Aspire is a new card I doubt you are going to find any data pints of people trying to get 2 cards especially since they each have $450 AF's

Good to know these upgrade offers are still out there
IDM79 likes this.
flyer4512 is offline  
Old Sep 21, 18, 7:23 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oregon, USA
Programs: Hilton Honors
Posts: 157
Originally Posted by flyer4512 View Post
My GUESS is that if you attempt to upgrade you will be denied the 2nd Aspire as that offer was sent while you did not hold the Aspire card.

Since the Aspire is a new card I doubt you are going to find any data pints of people trying to get 2 cards especially since they each have $450 AF's

Good to know these upgrade offers are still out there
Sounds like a good take. Although actually I've already been using my new Aspire for over a week now for online purchases (they gave me the account numbers immediately after approval online), but I guess it's possible that still may be too recent to stop their system from spitting out the upgrade offer I just received today. Probably won't risk going for the upgrade offer unless I hear of any positive dp's addressing this particular situation.
Just wish they would have given me the usual back-to-Ascend upgrade. Argh.
IDM79 is offline  
Old Sep 21, 18, 7:52 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,228
Originally Posted by IDM79 View Post
Sounds like a good take. Although actually I've already been using my new Aspire for over a week now for online purchases (they gave me the account numbers immediately after approval online), but I guess it's possible that still may be too recent to stop their system from spitting out the upgrade offer I just received today. Probably won't risk going for the upgrade offer unless I hear of any positive dp's addressing this particular situation.
Just wish they would have given me the usual back-to-Ascend upgrade. Argh.

We need HH Gold for a April trip as both of ours expire 3/31/19. The hotel we stay at gives gulf front upgrades ( we know a person at the front desk and email ) and cooked to order or Buffet breakfast for HH Gold

My wife has the NAF HH Amex so we are just hoping for any upgrade offer or we have to try for a status match to HH Gold using her IHG Platinum

Last edited by flyer4512; Sep 21, 18 at 9:45 pm
flyer4512 is offline  
Old Sep 21, 18, 8:02 pm
  #40  
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 4,412
Originally Posted by IDM79 View Post
Currently I'm waiting for my new Aspire card and its 150,000 point bonus I was just approved for last week. Today I check on my AMEX accounts and see a 150,000 point bonus offer to upgrade my NAF Hilton card to the Aspire. (I just downgraded my previous Ascend to that NAF only a month ago!) Read the fine print and nothing about not being eligible if you've ever had the card before, as is usual with these upgrade offers, but it also didn't say anything about not qualifying if you already have an Aspire. So I guess my question is, are you allowed to hold 2 Aspires at the same time and also receive the second bonus for the upgraded one? Is that something they'll catch after the fact even though the fine print doesn't address this situation specifically? Not sure I want to add another $4,000 in MS right now anyway, but if the offer is still around in a month or so I think I'd seriously consider taking another 150,000 points and a free night if possible.
Is this upgrade from AmEx offer? The only upgrade I know of is the 75,000 point upgrade offer to Ascend.
RedSun is offline  
Old Sep 21, 18, 9:44 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,228
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
Is this upgrade from AmEx offer? The only upgrade I know of is the 75,000 point upgrade offer to Ascend.

Do you have a current offer for the Ascend upgrade ?
flyer4512 is offline  
Old Sep 21, 18, 9:47 pm
  #42  
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 4,412
Originally Posted by flyer4512 View Post
Do you have a current offer for the Ascend upgrade ?
Still 75,000 pts for the upgrade. I plan to apply the Ascend card, not the upgrade. The current new card offer is 150,000 pts.
RedSun is offline  
Old Sep 21, 18, 10:58 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,228
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
Still 75,000 pts for the upgrade. I plan to apply the Ascend card, not the upgrade. The current new card offer is 150,000 pts.

Where are you seeing the 75K upgrade offer ?

I upgraded my dads card in June and we ( me and my wife also) all had the offers, now they are gone
flyer4512 is offline  
Old Sep 21, 18, 10:59 pm
  #44  
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 4,412
Originally Posted by flyer4512 View Post
Where are you seeing the 75K upgrade offer ?

I upgraded my dads card in June and we ( me and my wife also) all had the offers, now they are gone
Call them.
RedSun is offline  
Old Sep 22, 18, 1:18 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oregon, USA
Programs: Hilton Honors
Posts: 157
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
Is this upgrade from AmEx offer? The only upgrade I know of is the 75,000 point upgrade offer to Ascend.
My NAF card upgrade offer to the Aspire pops up in my online account. If that's what you're asking. I wonder if I should try asking if I can change that upgrade offer to an Ascend.
IDM79 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread