Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hilton co-branded card upgrade/downgrade [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton co-branded card upgrade/downgrade [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vdostoi1
Searched a bit more... Reports on Doctor of Credit indicate that the awarding of second bonus is hit and miss. Some people claim they received it; others have even indicated they submitted cases to Amex about this and were denied the second bonus despite having screen shots. So not sure what gives.
well i'll use up hotel credits, already used free night so if bonus doesnt post i'll downgrade - no loss..
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, IHG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by vdostoi1
Mods: Please merge if this was discussed before.

I was an Aspire card member in 2018 and received an offer to upgrade from my HHonors Card to Aspire and received 150K Honors points after spending $4k in the first three months. About 14 months after, I downgraded back to the no-annual fee card. 2 months later, I see a banner to upgrade my no annual fee account again with the same offer to receive 150K Hilton honors points after spending $4K. The T&Cs did not have the "once-in-a-lifetime" bonus language so I took the bait and upgraded again and tool multiple screen shots. I am now in the middle of spending $4k. Any thoughts on whether I will get the bonus the second time? I am fine if I don't because I see the value for the card once again and will keep it regardless but I am just wondering what people's experiences are.

When you upgraded your HHonors to Aspire, does your account anniversary change to the upgrade date? in which case the free night cerfiticate and resort credit is attached to the upgrade anniversary? or does it remain the original card's date? Im confused as to how that works.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by linaseta
When you upgraded your HHonors to Aspire, does your account anniversary change to the upgrade date? in which case the free night cerfiticate and resort credit is attached to the upgrade anniversary? or does it remain the original card's date? Im confused as to how that works.
When I upgraded to Surpass from the no-fee card, Amex charged a pro-rated amount of the annual fee, and then assessed the full AF when my anniversary came around. That suggests to me that one's card anniversary does not change.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, IHG, Hyatt
But, when were ur free night certificates and resort credit issued? does it change to the upgrade anniversary every year, or maybe only for the first year?
Old Jul 28, 2021, 2:02 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by beltway
When I upgraded to Surpass from the no-fee card, Amex charged a pro-rated amount of the annual fee, and then assessed the full AF when my anniversary came around. That suggests to me that one's card anniversary does not change.
This is useful to know. My card anniversary is in February.

If I upgrade to the Aspire before my anniversary, will I receive all of the benefits of the current calendar year of membership? (E.g., free weekend night certificate, $250 resort credit between now and my anniversary, $250 airline fee credit between now and the end of the calendar year?)

And since the annual fee is prorated, is there an “optimum” time to upgrade, assuming I can still make use of all these benefits?

I’m looking forward to switching my no annual fee card back to an Aspire… just trying to figure out the best time to do that.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Hilton Amex Upgrade Offer

Any recent DPs on upgrade offers for Hilton Amex card?

My current Amex account is showing I can upgrade my Hilton card but in the past I have seen points offers attached to this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 3:59 pm

Hilton surpass upgrade offer

It finally happened. The unicorn arrived. On Sunday, received email to upgrade my no fee Hilton to the Surpass for 100,000 points after $3,000 spend. This does not show in my account. Account had been down graded approximately four years ago. Spent less than $100 on it in the last 12 months. So there is hope out there for an upgrade offer.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by need a vacay
It finally happened. The unicorn arrived. On Sunday, received email to upgrade my no fee Hilton to the Surpass for 100,000 points after $3,000 spend. This does not show in my account. Account had been down graded approximately four years ago. Spent less than $100 on it in the last 12 months. So there is hope out there for an upgrade offer.
It’s pretty standard. I got one last week from the mid level to the $450 one. $4000 spend. No thanks.

I don’t recall if I got one on my no fee card, recently. I haven’t used it at all since January, when I finished the $8k spend for a free night promo.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by need a vacay
I keep hoping for one! I dont want to use another 5/24 slot but would upgrade to Surpass, from my Aspire downgrade
Old Aug 7, 2022, 2:15 pm

Just got my first upgrade offer after having downgraded my surpass card to the honors card for 2 years now. Not the best offer - 100k points after $3k spend. Spent $0 on this card this year, but did $8k spend to get the free cert last year. What are the chances that I'll get a better upgrade offer?
Old Nov 16, 2022, 8:07 am

I just upgraded my free Hilton Honors card to a Surpass card. I am making a purchase larger than 15,000 today that I want to count for my free night. The person insisted purchases today will count even though the card wont show as Surpass on my account until tomorrow. He claims all purchases this year will retroactively count as well.

Can anyone confirm that?
Old Nov 23, 2022, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Schnit
I just upgraded my free Hilton Honors card to a Surpass card. I am making a purchase larger than 15,000 today that I want to count for my free night. The person insisted purchases today will count even though the card wont show as Surpass on my account until tomorrow. He claims all purchases this year will retroactively count as well.

Can anyone confirm that?
Happy to report it took exactly 1 week and all charges from back to 1/1/22 retroactively appear in the counter toward free nights.

Great to keep in mind that if you spend more than you planned on, on the free card, everything retroactively counts
Old Nov 23, 2022, 8:32 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Happy to report it took exactly 1 week and all charges from back to 1/1/22 retroactively appear in the counter toward free nights.

Great to keep in mind that if you spend more than you planned on, on the free card, everything retroactively counts
That's amazing that they did that. It's like having the Surpass card from the beginning of the year.

Can't recall...did you also get any "upgrade" bonus points when you did this?
Old Nov 23, 2022, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
That's amazing that they did that. It's like having the Surpass card from the beginning of the year.

Can't recall...did you also get any "upgrade" bonus points when you did this?
Unfortunately not.

I am currently renovating several properties and my contractor is letting me pay for the supplies he is buying on my card and deducting from what I owe him. We are kind of maxed out on SUBs right now so I am focusing on spending bonuses. So I upgraded to get the FNC. I will put another 15k on the card in January for another FNC.

Already maxed out 3 IHG cards for the 20k bonuses and now 3 Hilton cards for 15k. Also got about 10 SUBs this year
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Unfortunately not.

I am currently renovating several properties and my contractor is letting me pay for the supplies he is buying on my card and deducting from what I owe him. We are kind of maxed out on SUBs right now so I am focusing on spending bonuses. So I upgraded to get the FNC. I will put another 15k on the card in January for another FNC.

Already maxed out 3 IHG cards for the 20k bonuses and now 3 Hilton cards for 15k. Also got about 10 SUBs this year
You can also get another FNC when you hit 60K spend on the Aspire. We did some renovations last year and blew through that no problem, too. But I think you have to do that by the end of the year, so you've got just over a month to go.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.