Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hilton co-branded card upgrade/downgrade [Consolidated]

Hilton co-branded card upgrade/downgrade [Consolidated]

Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by SusanDK
Late to the game here and looking for advice.

I have the Hilton Ascend card that I received automatically from my old Surpass card. When I got the Surpass, it came with a free weekend night each year, not requiring the current $15k spend. I did get my first weekend certificate, but can I assume that I won't get that anymore without the $15k spend as my current card falls under the Ascend rules?

If that is the case, I'm thinking about applying for a no-fee card for which I see a public offer for 75k points with $1k spend. Then I would cancel my Ascend card. Would I be better off contacting AmEx and downgrading my Ascend to a no-fee card? My guess is I would not get the 75k points this way?

I could eventually be interested in upgrading back to Ascend if a good points offer came along at some future date. I don't think I'm interested in an Aspire card because I already have Hilton Diamond (via Centurion).

I've checked my account and do not have any upgrade offers from AmEx for my existing Hilton Ascend card.
If you downgrade, you won’t get the bonus. You could apply for a new card, get the bonus, and consolidate your credit line from your Ascend card into your new card. But then again, you can also downgrade the Ascend to the no-fee (get the bonus on a new no-fee card first) and keep the average age of your accounts.

Lastly, you can always try to upgrade to Aspire, take advantage of the benefits, and then determine what works best for you upon renewal. See if that 150k public offer link works for you when you login.

https://online.americanexpress.com/d...details#/cshop
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:52 am

Thank you! I just clicked the link you posted and it says "request an upgrade and earn 150,000 upon $4,000 spend." So it looks like it is recognizing me as an existing cardholder. I had not yet logged in but assume cookies on my laptop are recognizing me as an existing cardholder.

Now I have to mentally calculate whether I can spend $4,000 in the next three months. Darn, just paid my quarterly condo fees which would have covered some of it. Might have an couple airline tickets to book within the next three months.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
I tried the public upgrade offer before but it didn't work. Finally, AMEX sent me a targeted email for Aspire UG.

Any recent datapoint if the workaround for Aspire new a/c + UG is posting all 300k without issues?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
I currently have the "surpass" which was the ascend for a while. I upgraded for the 75K offer a couple years ago when they rebranded and got diamond thru 40K spend last year. AF just hit for the 3rd time. My options:
Ask for a retention offer?
Downgrade to the NAF card
Sign up for the Business card (130K pts, I believe) - this will get me automatic gold, Priority pass, and Diamond if I spend $40K in 2020, right?

If I downgrade to the NAF card, will I still be eligible to re-upgrade to the Surpass for a point bonus in the future? Is it still 75K? I'm not interested in doing the $450 aspire anytime soon.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:50 am

Need some advice please!

1) I upgraded from the No Fee to the Ascend card when it was available in December 2018. Sometime a few months ago, my annual fee hit and not knowing that amex may claw back bonuses, i downgraded to avoid the annual fee. Am I in jeopardy of losing those bonus points and should I spend them as soon as possible?
2) Also, with the new policies, having had the Ascend card, I am eligible for the Amex Surpass card sign up bonus? I remember once upon a time, upgrading didn't prevent the sign up bonus but not sure now.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:38 am

Hilton Surpass Upgrade - Twice?

Hi All,
I got the targeted email to upgrade my no-fee Hilton Amex to the Surpass for 150k points.
I previously did the same upgrade (no-fee to Surpass) on 9/26/2017 (for 100k points then).
Then I downgraded to the no-fee again.
Now that I have the 150k Surpass upgrade offer, will I get the bonus again?
I know you can't get the bonus twice for a *new* card, but you can get it for a new card and then again for an upgrade. Can someone confirm whether or not I would get it for the upgrade a second time? Thanks,
–Kyle
Old Sep 13, 2019, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by kyamnitz
Hi All,
I got the targeted email to upgrade my no-fee Hilton Amex to the Surpass for 150k points.
I previously did the same upgrade (no-fee to Surpass) on 9/26/2017 (for 100k points then).
Then I downgraded to the no-fee again.
Now that I have the 150k Surpass upgrade offer, will I get the bonus again?
I know you can't get the bonus twice for a *new* card, but you can get it for a new card and then again for an upgrade. Can someone confirm whether or not I would get it for the upgrade a second time? Thanks,
–Kyle
If you're not eligible, you should get a pop-up window explaining such when trying to upgrade.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by soldja
If you're not eligible, you should get a pop-up window explaining such when trying to upgrade.
I believe this is the first I have read about a pop-up denying a bonus for a targeted upgrade offer. When did you see it?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I believe this is the first I have read about a pop-up denying a bonus for a targeted upgrade offer. When did you see it?
That's a good point. Maybe the pop-up only applies for new cards. I had assumed it would apply to upgrades, but perhaps not. Either way, I would read the term and conditions to see whether or not the once-in-a-lifetime welcome offer limit applies to the specific upgrade.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:28 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Can one get two bonuses on Aspire?

Mods: Please merge if this was discussed before.

I was an Aspire card member in 2018 and received an offer to upgrade from my HHonors Card to Aspire and received 150K Honors points after spending $4k in the first three months. About 14 months after, I downgraded back to the no-annual fee card. 2 months later, I see a banner to upgrade my no annual fee account again with the same offer to receive 150K Hilton honors points after spending $4K. The T&Cs did not have the "once-in-a-lifetime" bonus language so I took the bait and upgraded again and tool multiple screen shots. I am now in the middle of spending $4k. Any thoughts on whether I will get the bonus the second time? I am fine if I don't because I see the value for the card once again and will keep it regardless but I am just wondering what people's experiences are.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:01 am

You can chat their agents to confirm you'll get the bonus. And/or call. Just play dumb and ask to confirm what sign up bonus offer is attached to your card.

I do not see why you would not get it. Delta Amex's can get multiple offers in a lifetime on the same card when using special offers with no lifetime language in the application terms.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 5:56 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jiaogulan
.... ask to confirm what sign up bonus offer.
vdostoi1 is asking about an upgrade bonus, not a new account bonus. The once-in-a-lifetime bonus policy does not apply unless it is stated in the terms of the offer, and very few upgrade offers have exclusions for previous upgrades.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by mia
vdostoi1 is asking about an upgrade bonus, not a new account bonus. The once-in-a-lifetime bonus policy does not apply unless it is stated in the terms of the offer, and very few upgrade offers have exclusions for previous upgrades.
Thank you.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the same situation - still waiting for bonus - 6 wks since met spend... amex csr claimed it looked ok on his end but another statement closed since that chat and still nothing...
Old Jan 24, 2020, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
In the same situation - still waiting for bonus - 6 wks since met spend... amex csr claimed it looked ok on his end but another statement closed since that chat and still nothing...
Searched a bit more... Reports on Doctor of Credit indicate that the awarding of second bonus is hit and miss. Some people claim they received it; others have even indicated they submitted cases to Amex about this and were denied the second bonus despite having screen shots. So not sure what gives.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.