Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hilton co-branded card upgrade/downgrade [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton co-branded card upgrade/downgrade [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 10:33 pm

Isn't there a public offer for the Ascend, though at 125000 points but $2000 spend. Doesn't that seem better than $3000 spend for 150000 points...
Old May 5, 2019, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Caribgrl
Isn't there a public offer for the Ascend, though at 125000 points but $2000 spend. Doesn't that seem better than $3000 spend for 150000 points...
Better is dependent on too many factors.

First, if you have no trouble getting to the $3000 spend in time, then isn't 150k better than 125k?

Second, I presume you're referring to 150k for the upgrade. In that case, if you're trying to stay under Chase's 5/24 (and BofA's and Barclay's possibly similar restrictions), isn't an upgrade (which doesn't count as a new card) better than an application from scratch (that does count as a new card)?

So everyone has to judge based on their own situation as to which is better for them.
Caribgrl likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:18 am

DP anybody who upgraded their NAF HH Amex to Ascend or Aspire can get a new NAF card and another 75k bonus for spending $1000.

While I can't say for sure the 75K will post my wife ( who upgraded to Ascend in Sept 2018) was approved for the NAF card last night without any pop up messages about the bonus

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...edium=facebook

Last edited by flyer4512; May 8, 2019 at 3:30 pm
Old May 8, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Hi all,
I just upgraded my card to the Aspire for the $150k points. However, my terms stated I had to spend $4k . I see others mention they have to spend $3k.

Also, I got upgraded to Diamond status the next day after I upgraded my card ( I see others mention it takes 7-10 days) when I told Hilton chat that I had a stay coming in two days.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:23 am

My dad downgraded his Surpass to free Hilton card a little before Ascend was introduced (about 2 yrs ago), and he’s yet to receive any upgrade offers. The strange thing is that he still gets emails from Hilton (not AMEX) telling him of the benefits of *his* Ascend card (which he’s never had). Hilton must not have been notified that he downgraded his card, hence no offers. Conversely, my wife, my mom and I have all gotten upgrade offers and we’ve all downgraded from Surpass.
Old May 8, 2019, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
My dad downgraded his Surpass to free Hilton card a little before Ascend was introduced (about 2 yrs ago), and he’s yet to receive any upgrade offers. The strange thing is that he still gets emails from Hilton (not AMEX) telling him of the benefits of *his* Ascend card (which he’s never had). Hilton must not have been notified that he downgraded his card, hence no offers. Conversely, my wife, my mom and I have all gotten upgrade offers and we’ve all downgraded from Surpass.
Have you checked his AMEX offers ? That is where all 3 of our upgrade to Ascend offers were
Old May 10, 2019, 8:09 am
Suspended

I have 2 free Amex hilton - 1 was applied years ago. 1 was applied last year and downgraded from Ascend. I saw the offer upgrade to aspire for both, but I want the ascend upgrade offer. I don't get any email and I can't see any upgrade to ascend on both online. I called the CS just now, she can see an upgrade offer to ascend 3k spend 150k on the old one. Yay. I need to find that card in my drawer somewhere

edit: How long will Amex process the upgrade? The CS said it's approved however I need 1-2 days for the card upgrade so I can start my spending. There's a big spending I need to do for sunday.

Last edited by 9Benua; May 10, 2019 at 8:39 am
Old May 11, 2019, 5:36 am

Took the upgrade Thurs PM, Friday AM it showed Ascend

The upgrade happens v fast, hours. I was in the same boat. Had a 3k bill to pay. Had the offer last month, didn't do it then, looked for it this week, wasn't there, did online chat. Rep said he'd make a note in my file that I wanted the $95 150k w/ 3k, and provided # to call: 800-528-4800 (24/7) . Finally got around to calling and was v easy to upgrade. Spend now done, and I thought I'd be tossing the card in my drawer too. But might just do the 15k spend to get the free weekend. Weighing pros/cons of it. It would only be 12k more spend. That 12k would be headed to my 2% Fidelity or CIti card or 2x Membership points on my Blue or 1.5% (resulting in ~3%?)Chase Unlimited & if the free night is used in Hong Kong or $$ city, a good bang for buck.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by acker
That 12k would be headed to my 2% Fidelity or CIti card or 2x Membership points on my Blue or 1.5% (resulting in ~3%?)Chase Unlimited & if the free night is used in Hong Kong or $$ city, a good bang for buck.
Well, it seems easy decision to me. 4 x 60k AA miles.
Old May 13, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by vincewy
https://www.asksebby.com/blog/amex-hilton-upgrade-offers-should-you-accept

The method suggested here is insane and I won’t do this.
  1. It takes 3 slots out of 5 allowed by AmEx.
  2. Hanging to all 3 cards with $450 annual fees offset the benefits gained.
  3. Closing/Downgrading to no annual fee cards too quickly will risk relationship with AmEx, besides potentially having your points clawed back.
So my revised approach to his suggested method

SITUATION 2: Hilton Honors + Hilton Ascend + Hilton Aspire
• 2018 = Apply for Hilton Honors (A) (welcome offer)
Route 2: Apply + Upgrade
• 2019 = Apply for Hilton Aspire (B) (welcome offer)
•2019 = Apply for Hilton Ascend (C) (welcome offer)
•2020 = Upgrade (C) to Hilton Aspire (#2) (upgrade offer)
•2019 = Upgrade (A) to Hilton Ascend (#2) (upgrade offer)
•2020 = Upgrade (A) to Hilton Aspire (#3) (upgrade offer)
Result = 5 4 additional bonuses

In the end I’ll still end up having 4 more sign-on bonuses and lower annual fees. Not bad either and it leave me 1 more room for second Marriott Bonvoy card.
Another data point.

Instead of upgrade, I first signed up Aspire with 150K bonus by checking referral offers here (many members would love to send you referrals). As soon as I hit the spend, I upgraded my no-fee HH card with upgrade offer link within my account for another 150K. As of today, got both bonuses.

Hotel points from AmEx (I also experience the same with Bonvoy) tend to show up merely days once you meet the spending threshold, unlike MR points which usually take at least a full statement period.

Although my upgrade offer to Aspire is gone, I'm sure those links will come back.
Old May 23, 2019, 5:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Order of operations to get multiple bites at the bonus

So having read through the last few pages of this thread, one thing I am not sure about-- if I have never had a Hilton card from Amex before, and I apply for and receive the bonus for the Aspire, my understanding is that I would still be eligible for other cards in the family (e.g. Ascend and regular)?

If my understanding is correct, then if I later apply for the regular card, get whatever welcome bonus is on that card, should I expect to receive upgrade offers for that card to Ascend/Aspire? Same for Ascend to Aspire? Or does it only work if I first have the regular card, wait for an upgrade offer, then apply for and receive the bonus for the Aspire, then accept any upgrade offers?
Old May 26, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transparent
So having read through the last few pages of this thread, one thing I am not sure about-- if I have never had a Hilton card from Amex before, and I apply for and receive the bonus for the Aspire, my understanding is that I would still be eligible for other cards in the family (e.g. Ascend and regular)?

If my understanding is correct, then if I later apply for the regular card, get whatever welcome bonus is on that card, should I expect to receive upgrade offers for that card to Ascend/Aspire? Same for Ascend to Aspire? Or does it only work if I first have the regular card, wait for an upgrade offer, then apply for and receive the bonus for the Aspire, then accept any upgrade offers?
Definitely if you start out with the no-AF HH card (and have nothing "higher" HH yet), it's possible to first upgrade to Ascend and later upgrade from Ascend to Aspire, getting both upgrade bonuses.

Anything else (like getting the Aspire first) is hard to know for now. See, the Aspire has only been available for a bit over year, and meanwhile Amex has been changing policies lately, so datapoints from the Surpass days are not necessarily valid any more. So datapoints of what you're asking about are likely to be extremely rare and/or too old to necessarily still be valid.
Old May 27, 2019, 9:35 am

In 2012, I had the Hilton HHonors American Express card. I now want to apply for the Hilton Honors American Express Ascend card.
Are these 2 cards considered different products for the purposes of receiving the welcome bonus?
Old May 27, 2019, 10:50 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by joer1212
I....
Are these 2 cards considered different products for the purposes of receiving the welcome bonus?
Yes. Here are the terms:

Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card or the Hilton Honors Surpass Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.
Old May 27, 2019, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Yes. Here are the terms:
Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.