Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
In June 2017, the American Express International Airline Program changed to a discount program, rather than "buy one get one free".
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/t...ram/index.html

To research and book, you can
1) Call Platinum Travel Services (1-800-525-3355) or Business Platinum Travel Services (1-800-553-9497). $39 booking and change fees apply
2) As of October 18, 2018, customers can use Live Chat to receive quotes. Log into your account at www.americanexpress.com/travel
3) As of May 2019, customers can log into www.amextravel.com and search and book some IAP fares. Not all carriers participate in online bookings, and not all fares appear online. (Relevant FlyerTalk thread 1 Relevant Thread 2)

The program is available on International First, Business and Premium Economy Class tickets booked through American Express Travel, on both refundable and non-refundable fares.
Good for purchases of 1 to 8 tickets on participating airlines.
Use Pay with Points for all or part of you fares, plus you still get miles from the airline.
Subject to $39 servicing fee per ticket for Platinum card members when calling.

"Travel must originate in and return to U.S. gateway (may exclude certain overseas territories) and select Canadian gateways. One-way travel permitted on some airlines where routing originates in U.S. or select Canadian Gateways." Known to include YVR, YYZ.

It was suggested that a Wikipost be written to try and collect past and example discounts, as the fares themselves are unpublished. The discounts vary, sometimes widely, based on availability, fares, and sales. I've broken it down into ranges, and sorted by the number of reports. I also combined AF/KL/DL as they have joint ventures TATL so it's hard to say from all posts which metal members were reporting. My calculations for discount ranges do not intentionally include the $39 booking fee.

Delta / Air France / KLM
Cathay Pacific British Airways / Iberia Singapore Air New Zealand Asiana China Airlines Japan Airlines LATAM Lufthansa Aerolineas Emirates Qatar
Print Wikipost

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Call >>> PTS, real live human travel agent, but service fee is $39 per ticket (or reissue).

On line >>>> Expedia/Orbitz or similar back end, with resulting (bad) OLTA service.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Call >>> PTS, real live human travel agent, but service fee is $39 per ticket (or reissue).

On line >>>> Expedia/Orbitz or similar back end, with resulting (bad) OLTA service.
OTLA = online travel agent? But what is PTS?

Anyways, yeah I know those two but fare wise it's all the same, right?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by QtownDave
OTLA = online travel agent? But what is PTS?

Anyways, yeah I know those two but fare wise it's all the same, right?
PTS = Platinum Travel Service

1-800-443-7672

PTS is light years ahead of any OT customer service in terms of competence. I pay the $39 just to have the peace of mind of dealing with functioning adults who know what they are doing.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by richarddd
- There's a similar program for AA flights that requires calling
I just started flying AA again after several years and didn’t know about this. Is this new? Same phone number, etc.? Thanks.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:24 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by joe_miami
I just started flying AA again after several years and didn’t know about this.
Discussion here:

Booking AA via AMEX for less than aa.com?
joe_miami likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QtownDave
Did I miss somewhere that there is some benefit to call instead of booking online?
In addition to the service levels others have mentioned, I've heard that not all fares are available online. The online booking is actually relatively new (last year or two?), so you used to be required to call.

So if you see a fare & itinerary you like online, go head and book it, but be aware that there may be additional options not shown.

And yes, one or two of these tickets could easily offset the full annual fee. ^
Old Nov 12, 2019, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Soon to be a free agent.
I am purchasing a flight through the IAP on Air China, but I want to credit the miles to UA Mileage Plus. When booking on AMEX IAP, there is only an option to enter my CA loyalty number.

Does anyone know how I can get the flights credited to UA?
Old Nov 12, 2019, 10:57 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
JB why not submit the purchase with no airline affiliation? And then once ticketed the airline page might give more options.

Calling platinum travel services might be useful too but will incur the $39 fee.
jb691809, IndyHoosier and Zorak like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
JB why not submit the purchase with no airline affiliation? And then once ticketed the airline page might give more options.

Calling platinum travel services might be useful too but will incur the $39 fee.
Thanks! I booked without listing a program and plan on calling CA tomorrow. The 24-hour cancellation for IAP really helps for this.

I got a nice fare, JFK-HAN-JFK, for $1700 in business class!
GTITAN and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by jb691809
Thanks! I booked without listing a program and plan on calling CA tomorrow. The 24-hour cancellation for IAP really helps for this.

I got a nice fare, JFK-HAN-JFK, for $1700 in business class!
I had to do the same when purchasing a LATAM flight for January 2020. I left the FFN blank and called LATAM to put in my AA FFN. Was first time purchasing travel through the Amex Website and was surprised how limited technology was that could not put in my AA FFN for a OW partner.

Safe Travels
Old Nov 13, 2019, 5:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ijgordon
In addition to the service levels others have mentioned, I've heard that not all fares are available online. The online booking is actually relatively new (last year or two?), so you used to be required to call.

So if you see a fare & itinerary you like online, go head and book it, but be aware that there may be additional options not shown.

And yes, one or two of these tickets could easily offset the full annual fee. ^
For me, calling is a PIA because I already know which flights I want to book. I too have heard about the price difference between calling / online but I haven’t see any firm information. The next time I’ll check online first and then call to see if there really is a difference.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K
Can authorized users book travel for themselves using IAP?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by A Little Cow
Can authorized users book travel for themselves using IAP?
Authorized with a Platinum card yes. Authorized with the free Gold card, no.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by jb691809
Quick followup: I was able to add my FF number and choose seats by emailing [email protected]. I'll reconfirm at check-in.
747FC likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver
Cathay/American Economy Pricing

Seeing AA BOS-HKG economy fare priced ~15% cheaper than CX (same flight). I think there was some discussion above. Do some AA shared flights have a similar Amex deal on economy flights as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.